Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a house in spain that needs to be reformed. I have a brother that is a builder, the question i have is: as he has a criminal record and has served 18 months in prison in England in the nineties (has been a good boy since) will this impact on him securing a residence permit. Although the work he will be doing falls within the time allowed for a EU citizen to stay in Spain he has been thinking of moving there for work aswell, any help would be appreciated :)

·
Administrator
36,219 Posts
As an EU resident traveling on an EU passport to another EU country he will be ok
..........and if he decides to stay & live here after the 90 days (which I imagine is what the OP means by 'time allowed' ) he won't need a 'permit' - he'd just have to sign on the resident list

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a house in spain that needs to be reformed. I have a brother that is a builder, the question i have is: as he has a criminal record and has served 18 months in prison in England in the nineties (has been a good boy since) will this impact on him securing a residence permit. Although the work he will be doing falls within the time allowed for a EU citizen to stay in Spain he has been thinking of moving there for work aswell, any help would be appreciated :)
As other posters have intimated, there is no such this as a "residence permit" - certainly not for EU nationals anyway.

All he, and you, have to do is to sign onto the list of foreigners. You then get a green sheet of A4 paper (in some areas this is now a lot smaller) - woweeee:clap2: This is commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as a 'residencia'.

·
Administrator
36,219 Posts
As other posters have intimated, there is no such this as a "residence permit" - certainly not for EU nationals anyway.

All he, and you, have to do is to sign onto the list of foreigners. You then get a green sheet of A4 paper (in some areas this is now a lot smaller) - woweeee:clap2: This is commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as a 'residencia'.
mind you - he's thinking of moving here for work.............

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Make sure you and he are both up to date on the building rules and regulations for houses in Spain - cos they're nothing like the UK

Jo xxx

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Make sure you and he are both up to date on the building rules and regulations for houses in Spain - cos they're nothing like the UK

Jo xxx
JoJo is quite correct. In some areas (like where we live) it is illegal to put in a damp proof course.

·
Registered
35 Posts
mind you - he's thinking of moving here for work.............
The green paper is known as a NIE you need it to open a bank account buy property and all official business

He is entitled to work here. He can even get jobseekers allowance paid here for a while if its the case that he is unemployed in the UK.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
The green paper is known as a NIE you need it to open a bank account buy property and all official business

He is entitled to work here. He can even get jobseekers allowance paid here for a while if its the case that he is unemployed in the UK.
It isnt that easy. First of all he would be working - on his brothers house so he couldnt claim legally! As for claiming JSA in Spain, you have to have been claiming JSA for a few months in the UK before you can attempt to transfer it then its incredibly complicated to get it transfered and to sign every fortnight - the Spanish officials tend not to agree to it - end! In any case its for a limited period and isnt enough to live on in Spain.

Yes he is entitled to work, but there isnt much at all. The green certificate is NIE/residencia and you can open a non residents bank account without it, but you do need it for a residents account and as you say, to buy large items and utilities

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,219 Posts
actually - has anyone been to get just a NIE as a non-resident recently?

what colour is that??

my original NIE is white - that's from the days when certain 'categories' of people didn't have to apply for old-style residencia

my shiny 'new' resident cert. which we are all supposed to get if resident, is green - & of course has my NIE on it - the same number too, of course

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
actually - has anyone been to get just a NIE as a non-resident recently?

what colour is that??

my original NIE is white - that's from the days when certain 'categories' of people didn't have to apply for old-style residencia

my shiny 'new' resident cert. which we are all supposed to get if resident, is green - & of course has my NIE on it - the same number too, of course
I have a friend who only had an NIE number. She didnt get a certificate and was told it was only valid for 3 months

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,219 Posts
I have a friend who only had an NIE number. She didnt get a certificate and was told it was only valid for 3 months

Jo xxx
I've heard of that - we only had NIEs for years until the law changed with the new 'residencia' - but ours was 'for life'

·
Registered
35 Posts
It isnt that easy. First of all he would be working - on his brothers house so he couldnt claim legally! As for claiming JSA in Spain, you have to have been claiming JSA for a few months in the UK before you can attempt to transfer it then its incredibly complicated to get it transfered and to sign every fortnight - the Spanish officials tend not to agree to it - end! In any case its for a limited period and isnt enough to live on in Spain.

Yes he is entitled to work, but there isnt much at all. The green certificate is NIE/residencia and you can open a non residents bank account without it, but you do need it for a residents account and as you say, to buy large items and utilities

Jo xxx
Nothing is ever easy with Spanish officialdom !!!!!

If he wasn't getting paid for working on his brothers house other than in leu of rent, then he could claim legally as long as he was actively seeking work!
But as you say there's not much work around for anyone but he may get lucky though! :)

I wanted to make give you some useful links the rules don't allow me yet! :mad:

·
Administrator
36,219 Posts

If he wasn't getting paid for working on his brothers house other than in leu of rent, then he could claim legally as long as he was actively seeking work!
But as you say there's not much work around for anyone but he may get lucky though! :)

I wanted to make give you some useful links the rules don't allow me yet! :mad:
we have lots of useful links in the 'useful links' sticky above............the ones you want might well be already there .............

·
Registered
33,612 Posts

.... and prove it!!? Legally claim is one thing, getting the people at INEM to honour it or even get involved is a different matter. You can only claim it for a few weeks, which by the time you've managed to argue, photocopy, beg, the funcionarios.. it would all be too late! I've yet to hear of anyone who has managed to do it - unless you know different?????

Jo xxx

·
Registered
35 Posts
we have lots of useful links in the 'useful links' sticky above............the ones you want might well be already there .............
No they are not there I had a look!
Still not enough posts so you will have to google them

Here is a websites to explain your entitlement as an EU Citizen.

europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/job-search/social-security/index_en.htm]Right to benefits - Your Europe - Citizens

And if you still have problems when the Spanish don't play fair (unrecognized qualifications etc.
ec.europa.eu/solvit/site/success/index_en.htm

Or if they really don't play fair!!

ec.europa.eu/eu_law/your_rights/your_rights_forms_en.htm]Application of EU law - Making a complaint

As I said before though nothing is ever easy when it comes to spanish officialdom !
Well not here in Huelva anyway ! :(

·
Registered
6,010 Posts

No, I'm afraid you are mistaken.

NIE's on their own are still issued on white paper (I helped get one recently) and, by definition almost, last forever!

The green paper is simply proof of being registered on the list of foreigners and is commonly known as a residencia. This will ALWAYS have the NIE on it.

For people applying for a residencia and not already having an NIE, this can be done in one step.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts