Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

So i have what might be a tricky question regarding residency and the ability to claim unemployment benefit - its something that has concerned me for a while, but i've never been able to get a straight answer.

Me
Living in France (for some time now) - working in Geneva, Switzerland for two years in a stable job with full-time contract, English nationality. Private healthcare (legal obligation for workers in CH) which covers me in France and Switzerland. Pay tax in Switzerland.

Issue
From what i understand, if i were to be made unemployed (i am not expecting this, but would like to be prepared!), then i would claim unemployment benefit from my country of residence. This would be France.

However - how would i prove to the French authorities (whoever that might be?) that i am indeed a resident. I don't pay tax in France - i pay it in Switzerland at source. I do not have a carte vitale (no need), or a carte de sejour (no need apparently as i am from the EU). I do have a rental contract with my landlady, and the Mairie did print me off a 'proof of residence' letter. I also have a French bank account. These are the nonly things that indicate that i live in France.

Would these two documents suffice as proof of residency? Or should/can i apply for a carte sejour/vitale?

I do not want to find myself in a situation with no job, living in France, and only being entitled to UK jobseekers..

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Adrian

·
Administrator
51,922 Posts
This is the Europa portal site page on cross border workers: EU - Work & live in different countries? Rights, tax, benefits -Your Europe           

You may find more information about your situation by following the links on the page.

My understanding has always been that you are supposed to be paying taxes in the country in which you are resident. But perhaps the Franco-Swiss agreement is somewhat different.

As far as claiming unemployment, I suspect it works like many of the other benefit programs in Europe. Normally, if you qualified for your benefit (i.e. unemployment) in another country, then yes, you can apply in the country in which you are living, but they will basically bill back the country in which you are qualified for benefits. So I think you'd need to provide some form of proof from Switzerland that you would be covered under their unemployment coverage, and then submit that to France to claim benefits. But that was how it was when I first came to France and may well have changed by now.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
564 Posts
Adrian,
Yes. Those documents should be enough. Anyway, your employer knows where you live (I assume) and the tax for you is being forwarded on the France. So I'm guessing you are "in the system". But I suggest you go apply for your carte de sejour anyway.

Bev,
For Geneva border workers the taxes and deductions are collected in Switzerland direct from the employees pay and then Switzerland forwards a percentage of income tax, social deductions/insurances etc off to France. It's a bit different in Basel both with the German and French agreements and in Italy as far as how the taxes, insurances, etc are dealt with vs Geneva.

All frontailer workers however do not get "Swiss unemployment. They collect unemployment benefits in their country of residence which is not as generous as it is in Switzerland.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.