Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum, have already been doing a fair amount of research already and this forum seems to have a lot of great information so thought I'd join and pick brains :D

I was in Dubai in 1999 as a young boy and loved it, went again for the first time since last week and loved it even more :D

So first all the reason I want to move..
I am half Arabic so I come from an Arab/Western culture, I much prefer hot weather, the roads are so much better to drive on than Scotland although a bit crazy :eyebrows: I do not have a lot of commitments here in UK to worry about, during my holiday I also preferred the fine dining scene out there although this wont be a common theme, on top of all that my brother and his family are in Dubai also so I wont be too lonely :)

I have been looking at living costs and they seem reasonable for what I would want even if a bit more than home, I reckon $60,000 dirham should cover rent plus service charge, phone, TV, internet and cooling etc.
I would probably need no more than $10,000 dirham pa for home food, $15,000-$20,000 dirham pa for transport (car/metro or mix), another $10,000 dirham pa for treating myself and anything else (medical, insurance etc.) before having spare to save so I would say I need around $100,000 to live out there comfortably before saving anything.
I would also like to ideally save $50,000 dirham+ pa, I am a lot more ambitious than this however I need to keep my feet on the ground just now.

At the moment I have enough savings to live for a year without a job although I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot and move without one.

This is where I could use experience and help from this community, I left school at a young age so qualifications are not exactly the best..
I did however go on to become a high end audio/visual and home networking installer for a few years then moved onto retail when I was made redundant then sales, cold calling to start with doing various campaigns then call centre work most recently.
I have always succeeded at what I do and I believe this is because I always put my mind completely into the role I do.
Unfortunately the salaries in most roles I have been looking at in Dubai do not look attractive enough to live out there so I am considering applying for estate agency firms as I have a very good knowledge within property and contract exchange (although probably completely different from UK), my issue is most if not all firms ask for experience and I really liked the idea of the potential earnings albeit it commission only.

Can anyone recommend any other roles that I could earn more than my estimated costs with my experience?
Is it possible an estate agency firm would consider an ambitious person like myself with no official experience and some knowledge for a role?
If anyone has any input I would appreciate the help and advice, and feel free to ask any questions :D

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
So you want a minimum of AED (not $) 150,000 to live on which is just under 12,500 a month. And you reckon you do all that on 12k? or do you actually mean USD? If USD then yes, that'll be cool, if it's AED it won't be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you want a minimum of AED (not $) 150,000 to live on which is just under 12,500 a month. And you reckon you do all that on 12k? or do you actually mean USD? If USD then yes, that'll be cool, if it's AED it won't be.
AED I have calculated it in, is there anything you think I have missed that makes you think it isn't possible to live on that amount? :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts