Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I began our research trips to look for a place in Mexico to retire. We just spent 12 days in Mexico City and Puebla. We began in Mexico City, spending 5 days as tourists, mainly exploring the historic center, but also visiting local museums, Chapultepec park and Polanco district. We loved the colonial architecture of the historic center as well as the museums there, but we found CDMX to be way to crowded and large for our taste. WE then spent three days in the center of Puebla. Loved it more than CDMX! But it just didn't feel right for my wife. Too bad, because I was already seeing myself moving into one of those beautiful, colorful colonial apartments there. WE then headed back to CDMX to continue our trip. We stayed there 4 more days. On the last day, we visited the local CDMX district of Coyoacan and immediately fell in love with it! Its "Arts District" feel, beautiful buildings and small town feel turned it into our top destination so far. We even discovered Frida Kahlo's home a few blocks from the plaza! In a few weeks we will be exploring Queretaro, San Miguel, and Guanajuato. Lets see what we find....

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
My wife and I began our research trips to look for a place in Mexico to retire. We just spent 12 days in Mexico City and Puebla. We began in Mexico City, spending 5 days as tourists, mainly exploring the historic center, but also visiting local museums, Chapultepec park and Polanco district. We loved the colonial architecture of the historic center as well as the museums there, but we found CDMX to be way to crowded and large for our taste. WE then spent three days in the center of Puebla. Loved it more than CDMX! But it just didn't feel right for my wife. Too bad, because I was already seeing myself moving into one of those beautiful, colorful colonial apartments there. WE then headed back to CDMX to continue our trip. We stayed there 4 more days. On the last day, we visited the local CDMX district of Coyoacan and immediately fell in love with it! Its "Arts District" feel, beautiful buildings and small town feel turned it into our top destination so far. We even discovered Frida Kahlo's home a few blocks from the plaza! In a few weeks we will be exploring Queretaro, San Miguel, and Guanajuato. Lets see what we find....
I like Coyoacan as well. At one time, I considered living there, but a planned job did not work out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Early tomorrow morning, we'll be flying from Reynosa's airport to Queretaro and then we'll take the shuttle to our Airbnb in San Miguel. Hopefully by the end of this trip we'll have a pretty good idea where our first Mexican home is going to be. I'll let y'all know how it unfolds.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I find interesting research trip accounts wherein visitors focus on architecture and spend time visiting attractions such as museums. These to me don't seem like the big factors that will drive whether or not a certain neighborhood or locale will be a great fit for you.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I find interesting research trip accounts wherein visitors focus on architecture and spend time visiting attractions such as museums. These to me don't seem like the big factors that will drive whether or not a certain neighborhood or locale will be a great fit for you.
I agree.
For example, I too love to visit Coyoacán but living there presents some serious issues. One, the driving and parking is a nightmare and the public transportation is mediocre at best and there aren't really supermarkets and other things you need on a regular basis very close to the charming centro. Then there is the cost. For the price of a tiny studio apartment in Coyoacán with no parking, we are looking at a beautiful 3 bedroom home with covered parking, security, pool and a gym membership in Queretaro. As they say, location, location, location.

Of course these things all depend on your lifestyle and preferences. If I were single and had no kids, Coyoacán would be much more attractive -- I would deal with the hassles to reap the benefits.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would love to hear more about why your wife didn't think Puebla was the place for her.
We only stayed in the historic center and ate local meals such as mole, chile en nogada, etc., all are plates I love. She's not to keen on the spicy foods. To be fair she is willing to visit and look at various neighborhoods outside the city center as well as the next door town of Cholula.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're right. There is definitely more that I look at. I want arts, foods, festivals, music and culture. Lots of culture! Architecture is just one of many facets that calls out to me. Scenery is another one.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
The center is the nicest place..I would not care to live there either.. Do not care for Cholula or Puebla. I like to visit but it is another place I would not live in . We have friends who live in a nice fracc with one foot in Cholula and one foot in Puebla..but the minute yu leave you find yourself in that awful traffic.. another bunch of aggresive drivers..However they have lots of things to see with nice cultural events.. I remember really enjoying a concert in one of the churches in Cholula. great musicians.. There are lots of pluses to the town but I still would not live thre. Id I was to move to a large city I probably would move to Guadalajara..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before I elaborate, let me just say that my wife absolutely fell in love with San Miguel. I on the other hand, fell in love with Guanajuato City. And since I'm the man of the house, what I say goes! So I've decided.... We're moving to San Miguel...

·
Registered
700 Posts
We visited Puebla last year for a long weekend with some Mexican friends who were from Puebla. We visited places we would never have found on our own. Had we taken that trip before purchasing a house in Mexico we would have seriously considered Puebla. It has a little bit of everything. And if you are a young professional it may offer more opportunities than most places.

We passed through Cholula along the way. Nice place for a pit stop but (and I guess we are all different people) I could not see us spending more than a couple hours there.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
We go through Puebla about 4 times a year and after visiting a few times we lost interest, it is a city that never grew on us.. I am not sure why.

·
Registered
700 Posts
We go through Puebla about 4 times a year and after visiting a few times we lost interest, it is a city that never grew on us.. I am not sure why.
To each his/her own I guess. Personally - I would never chose to live in Chiapas (having lived in Guatemala). All these TripAdvisor like critiques are really a little silly - don't you think.

·
Registered
700 Posts
To each his/her own I guess. Personally - I would never chose to live in Chiapas (having lived in Guatemala). All these TripAdvisor like critiques are really a little silly - don't you think.
Edit : perhaps that did not come out quite right. I wasn't directing that at you directly - it is just that no one can tell someone (or recommend to someone) what is right for another person.

I suspect that 95% of the people who post on sites such as this with hopes of moving to Mexico never do. And - I suspect that 20% of the people who move here move back at some point.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Correct, each person is different and needs to check out the places personally and see where they would live.
I know that Chiapas was part of Guatemala at one time and therefore is moe like Central American than the other States in Mexico but I would not move to Guatemala and I movd to Chiapas so there are diffeences as well..

Chiapas a a difficult climate to say the least, cool to cold and very unstable in the highland and hot and humid in the lowland.. Unless you are interested in nature or in indigenous cultures living in Chiapas would be a little difficult but I love it , have many friends all over the state and can stay anywhere at the drop of hat.. yesterday I go stuck in Teopisca by a bloqueo and I had food and 3 offers to stay in Teopisca or Amatenango .. There are many expats here but not many Americans or Canadians so if you wants people from back home you are out of luck and that is exactly what I love.

I agree most people will never move to Mexico and many will not stay here either and many who come to check it out look at it from the point of view of a tourist but if you are to live in a place you need to think how you will live there, how you will get things you will need on a regular basis, how are the doctors, hospitals , transportation etc.. not what the ruins or zocalos are like because chances are that once you have gone there 4 or 5 times you will not go there very often.

I think that to pick a place you are better off thinking of what you really are like and what your needs are and then go for a place rather than come up with places out of a hat or listening to what people are recommending go there fall in love and find out that it is not what you needed..

Before we came down we made a list of what we wanted ans settled where we found it and then added a place when we could speak Spanish and had other interests.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts