Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dubai’s Rera index has been left behind by falling rents, say brokers | The National

This is a great article. More of these, please! I have noticed too that apartments are at the moment advertised with lower rents than the index states.
We have the dreadful move coming up again and I'm praying that the rents will fall even further, back down to a more realistic level.
I'm glad to see that at least some estate agents have the decency to speak up about the reality.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As the index is based upon an annualised figure, it will always lag any changes.

But that works both ways - rise or decreases.
Do you have any more information on which figures they use?

I find it a bit odd that last year they were slow to update the figures but this year it's updated for dates up to 31/05/2015.

It's not working our way at the moment...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just checked the rental index for my area. It is out of whack. It's predicting another 5% increase for my flat. I have been paying increases for the last 3 years in a row.

Property prices have fallen as compared to last year, the economy has slowed down, jobs have dried up, salaries haven't increased. I just don't understand the increase....Definitely moving out if my landlord asks for a raise this time around.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
While I understand your frustration, none of the issues you raise have anything to do with rental prices. Rental prices are nothing to do with individual cost of living factors.

Rental prices are driven by supply and demand in a given location and while you think that purchase price has dropped, that has nothing to do with what the landlord originally paid for the property, probably a few years ago.

But yes, the best thing is to refuse to pay and to move to a cheaper place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts