Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am a british citizen living in the UK and my fiancee is an American citizen living in the US.

We are hoping to apply for the "Fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or settled person " visa next year.

I am inquiring into the requirements for proving the relationship is genuine and subsisting.

We first met in person in March 2012 (we have evidence of this) and by the time we apply (we are thinking of June 2014 at the earliest) we will have had plenty of visits and holidays and will have been in contact for over 2 years.

We however will have not been living together due to us both working full time in our countries of residence up until we apply for the visa and due to a visa issue in regards to traveling to the USA, i will not be able to visit her home country before we apply.

So I am asking for any help and assistance into what proof we will need to gather together to prove our relationship sufficiently!

Thank you

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Include tickets for visits; some screenshots of your emails, phone bills showing calls back and forth. and don't forget to include evidence of your planned wedding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Include tickets for visits; some screenshots of your emails, phone bills showing calls back and forth. and don't forget to include evidence of your planned wedding.
Thanks for your reply! That is as mostly as I had hoped and shouldn't be a problem at all! One thing I wasn't aware of is that the wedding needs to be planned before applying, is that for certain? We are thinking only of having a very small ceremony...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and we also communicate mainly by iMessage on our iPhone's and and video chat in iChat on our laptops, will logs of these communications suffice instead of phone bills? We use both those methods of communication daily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, another thought I have just had in terms of the maintenance and accommodation requirements. At present I live in a house share with 4 other people (2 of those people are in a relationship but not married).

We have 1 bathroom, 4 bedrooms and one kitchen/living area. One of the bedrooms is shared by the couple currently living with us. Is this likely to be an issue? Would it be easier for us to live with my Parents to start off with as they live in a large house with 11 rooms (5 of which being bedrooms and only one of which being occupied at present)

Sorry to keep adding stuff on!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, I think so. Live with your parents till you get a place of your own.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I think so. Live with your parents till you get a place of your own.
Thanks very much, that's something to consider!

Can I ask if it will matter that I will not have been to her home country to meet her family if we have plenty of other means of proving we are genuine? She has met my family on this side of the pond already and will have spent plenty of time with them come applying for the visa.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks for your reply! That is as mostly as I had hoped and shouldn't be a problem at all! One thing I wasn't aware of is that the wedding needs to be planned before applying, is that for certain? We are thinking only of having a very small ceremony...
Absolutely, it is for certain. The purpose of the fiancé visa is to get married - not to plan a wedding. You need to show that your plans are well advanced. Even if it is only a simple wedding, you need to show you've planned it. Include receipts for rings, wedding clothes, a cake baker, venue, honeymoon...whatever you have. But don't skimp on this aspect of the requirements.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely, it is for certain. The purpose of the fiancé visa is to get married - not to plan a wedding. You need to show that your plans are well advanced. Even if it is only a simple wedding, you need to show you've planned it. Include receipts for rings, wedding clothes, a cake baker, venue, honeymoon...whatever you have. But don't skimp on this aspect of the requirements.
Okay thanks, we already have "commitment rings" receipts dating back to this year, and will make sure we have plans set for the wedding prior to application. (the likelihood being just the venue, rings, clothes and possibly a honeymoon)

So this, along with all evidence of our trips together, photos together and with family, and communication history dating back to when we met March 2012 should suffice?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, seems so, though not having seen your evidence, I can't be certain.
That's good news! The application wouldn't be until at least June 2014 (due to the financial requirements involved with cash savings, unless there is a very unlikely change in the guidelines) So haven't got all the evidence gathered together yet to run by you, but that is what we WILL have at the time of application. Luckily my fiancee is a rather good hoarder so every aspect of our relationship has been kept and well documented!

Just trying to get everything planned well in advance so as to not risk a refusal as I am having to seek quite a reasonable amount of help financially from my family!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, I have yet more questions!

I have just read some horror stories of the waiting time for the FLR application we would need to to make after getting married. For example that people have been waiting upwards of 6 months, sometimes even a year before hearing anything on a result? Is this still the case?

And is the premium same-day service exactly that, you have your application appointment and receive the decision on the day?

(Yet more far-ahead planning I know but, better safe than sorry!)

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Postal delay is 1-2 months now and you save around £400.
Same-day premium service normally gets decided on the same day, though sometimes when they are very busy it can take 24 hours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Postal delay is 1-2 months now and you save around £400.
Same-day premium service normally gets decided on the same day, though sometimes when they are very busy it can take 24 hours.
Great! Thanks again, looks like we'll be able to look forward to a *fingers crossed* relatively smooth application process when its time to apply next year!

Will keep this thread updated along the journey!

(no doubt i'll think of some more questions soon anyway!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.