Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to understand the differences of the many insurance companies that tell me they meet and or exceed the required visa needs given by the French Embassy.
I have been quoted anywhere from $298 a year up to $6,000 a year. Seems an extreme difference!!!
Could someone please guide me to a GOOD company that I can trust.
I am a retired male (65 years old ) who will be staying with family members for at least one year.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I am trying to understand the differences of the many insurance companies that tell me they meet and or exceed the required visa needs given by the French Embassy.
I have been quoted anywhere from $298 a year up to $6,000 a year. Seems an extreme difference!!!
Could someone please guide me to a GOOD company that I can trust.
I am a retired male (65 years old ) who will be staying with family members for at least one year.
You really need to study the various policies in terms of what they do and don't cover they provide and what you might need during your quite lengthy stay - it really does depend on how much risk you want to carry yourself, especially given that as we age we really don't know what health issues we might suddenly encounter. I would think that $298 p.a. would buy you very little cover at all. Ordinary medical bills might be relatively very low here, but you could easily find yourself with an enormous bill should you suddenly and unexpectedly come up against a major health issue.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I paid for one of the cheapies but it really only covered the basics required for the visa approval. Did not cover tests/visits for pre-existing conditions, for example, or mental health or other more "outside the box" things. So I agree, depends what you're looking for and what you might need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You really need to study the various policies in terms of what they do and don't cover they provide and what you might need during your quite lengthy stay - it really does depend on how much risk you want to carry yourself, especially given that as we age we really don't know what health issues we might suddenly encounter. I would think that $298 p.a. would buy you very little cover at all. Ordinary medical bills might be relatively very low here, but you could easily find yourself with an enormous bill should you suddenly and unexpectedly come up against a major health issue.
Do you have a specific company that is comprehensive ?
I totally agree with your assessment and would feel much more at ease with a top notch policy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I paid for one of the cheapies but it really only covered the basics required for the visa approval. Did not cover tests/visits for pre-existing conditions, for example, or mental health or other more "outside the box" things. So I agree, depends what you're looking for and what you might need.
Would you have a specific company in mind?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Do you have a specific company that is comprehensive ?
I totally agree with your assessment and would feel much more at ease with a top notch policy.
It's hard to advise. In preparation for my arrival I used an international insurance broker (Pacific Prime). I couldn't really afford 'top notch' so went with a company that excluded existing conditions (none of mine are life threatening and I very rarely go to the doctor), knowing that I would subsequently be able to join the French system. However I believe there are other options for Americans (Bev has mentioned AARO) and that Blue Cross in some, not all, US States provides international cover. The big issue for me was that the premiums factor in your age and existing conditions, so premiums you find on the net might look low, but then when my age was factored in they were very high.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard to advise. In preparation for my arrival I used an international insurance broker (Pacific Prime). I couldn't really afford 'top notch' so went with a company that excluded existing conditions (none of mine are life threatening and I very rarely go to the doctor), knowing that I would subsequently be able to join the French system. However I believe there are other options for Americans (Bev has mentioned AARO) and that Blue Cross in some, not all, US States provides international cover. The big issue for me was that the premiums factor in your age and existing conditions, so premiums you find on the net might look low, but then when my age was factored in they were very high.
Thanks...I have Blue Cross / Blue Shield and never thought of asking !!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My main goal was get my Visa so I just bought a travel insurance policy from Allianz. It cost a whopping $79 for 364 days of coverage that includes $50,000 in emergency medical coverage and repatriation coverage. My US policy provides international coverage, but I will probably switch to AARO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts