Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to move to Spain. I'm an American in their late 20s.

After reading about the immigration policies/laws in Spain, it sounds like my options are either a student visa, work visa or marrying someone there.

Since I don't have a Spanish girlfriend or boyfriend currently, it looks like my options are a student or work visa.

I have a combined degree in Electrical Engineering and Physics. I like doing research in these areas, but working "a real job" in these areas is like living in the comic Dilbert. At least it is in the USA. I don't know about Spain.

It looks like some people are able to get work as an English teacher. I'm confused about the qualifications: TEFL, DELTA, CELTA etc? Which one should I get - if I want to do that?

Is it possible to move to Spain to learn one of these certifications under a student visa, then teach it?

I have about enough money saved up to live a year without work, but it sounds like the Spanish government wants you to have a job or be accepted to school before they let you stay.

What'd you do?

:juggle:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know there is the possibility of a non lucrative visa, but you have to prove to the Spanish government that you can maintain yourself without working.

I cannot post links yet, but google "embassy of Spain Washington residence visa" the first 5 or 6 results will help you a lot.

Best regards!

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
I think you need to get in touch with the authorities to find out exactly what is needed for each visa. For an American to work here they have to be sponsored by a company. The company has to prove that there is no European that can do that job so there is very little chance of you being an English teacher and finding employment that way.

It is unfortunately very difficult for Americans to live here legally

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi there,

Most Americans come here through NALCA (Consejerias Exteriores : Cultural Ambassadors: North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain), a Government-run programme that places North Americans as conversation assistants in schools. The application period opens each January for jobs commencing in September of that same year. There are several similar programmes, all of which have similar application times.

If you're not keen on waiting that long, there is another option. Some TEFL course providers are legally able to offer you a student visa on the assumption that you also take a Spanish course with them. I'm currently based in Madrid and know of several Americans who have gone through TT Madrid (TEFL Madrid | TEFL Course Madrid). Obviously this option is only useful if you're interested in working in Madrid. I don't know of anything going in other areas.

Briona

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some TEFL course providers are legally able to offer you a student visa on the assumption that you also take a Spanish course with them.
This second part is key. You cannot check enough to be SURE that the consulate will give you a student visa given the particular course you are taking. I signed up for a TEFL course a couple years ago, got all my documentation for the visa, spent money on airfare to the consulate, and was denied because 'the duration of the course didn't warrant getting a student visa.' Through the entire process of aqcuiring documentation the TEFL course administrator assured me that others from the US had done the same and my visa would most certainly be approved. In total I lost more than 600 dollars and countless hours collecting/filling out paperwork. Not to mention the almost 2000 dollars on the course itself (with no job afterward) Be careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts