Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a monthly rental budget of approximtaely 1500euros get a 4 bedroom house or apartment in a good section of a large town or small city in Provence, Langue-Doc (Narbonne, Carcassonne, etc), or Pyrenees Atlantique?

I know this is a wildly broad question with aspects being quite subjective, but I am getting conflicting information online and from people living in those regions. I am moving to Southern France in 1.5 months, I have three kids, I don't have a place yet, and I haven't even decided on the region or department! Other than that everything is under control :). Once we choose a region we are going to work with a corporate relocation company (Sterling International).

Though maybe someone on this forum would have some insight. Bev seems to know everything :)

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
I don't really know the rental markets in the south of France, but in your situation, I'd plan on spending some time in temporary quarters - a gite or maybe an apart-hotel - while scouting out the area to look for a place to live.

With 3 year leases, you want to see the place in person before taking any decision.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think that should be decent.. You are not going to get anything luxury with a pool or a huge yard but if you are willing to live in a smaller town/outskirt of a big town it should be ok
We are looking for a smallish house (2/3 bed) in a small town and it looks like it is possible with 900 euros and widely doable with 1000-1100 euros. 1500 euros should get you something ok. Probably not in the best areas of a larger city though.
We are using seloger for now, it is pretty helpful . There is also explorimmo. That should give you an idea of what your budget buys. Keep in mind the picture will usually tell not much since the agency just want to tease you to come see it, but not want you or a local to go direct to the owner..

·
Registered
309 Posts
well my parents are near Toulon in the Var. So we considered Var, Bouches du Rhônes but now we are up to Vaucluse and Gard. It is a lot better value being further away from the water. We really want a nice village, with a local shops and access to airport/train without being in the craziness of a bigger city. We are looking for the countryside lifestyle.

It is quite tricky when you don't know the area..We know it in a very very limited manner.

As an example, we first were considering Brignoles since it seemed to be better value, but soon realized that the city was not so nice, or not super safe.

We then considered areas around Aix en Provence. Gemenos was a super cute city but seems to be a ritzy suburb of Aix and out of our price point. Few rentals too.

I am guessing you will be in the same situation given you have a higher budget but need more bedroom. Gard , Vaucluse and general more inland areas in small village will have more for you.
Do you have any requirement job wise though?

·
Registered
309 Posts
By the way, I will add, that you probably will want "cuisine équipee" I am finding that a lot of the places we see online have no oven, or limited appliance. Here people buy them and take them with them every time they move.

So a furnished place or at least well equiped kitchen will be a minimum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found some nice towns in the Midi-Pyenees, great weather, near Spain, less developed, money goes further concerning rentals as well, we've decided to move there. we're looking for the same, near shops, restaurants, hopefully doctors and schools. luckily for my job, i just need to be within an hour of a major airport. nice you have relatives in the region. are you working?

·
Registered
309 Posts
We are basically in the same situation.. We work remotely and just want to be within an hour of MRS (marseille) airport so family can come visit without a major ride back home after the 9+ non direct flight.
I am french, from Lille, but my parents moved to Toulon about 7 years ago. I left France 10 years ago, so it is a new start for us. Hubby is from the US, so an ever bigger start for him.
You should not have roo much troubles with doctors unless you go to very rural areas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Visit the website leboncoin.fr ("Aquitaine" section/ "Immobilier locations")
You will find offers for apartments and will have an idea for prices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.