Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently live and work in the UK and have a friend in France.
For medical reasons she needs to move closer to Paris to be able to get treatment. Sadly, she does not have a job nor is she a student. From what she says she can't really get help from the state either and family are unable to help her. Her situation is extremely tedious and difficult, it's a bizarre situation to say the least.

Because of this, I am willing to help her, to pay for her rent. And since I live in the UK and it won't be myself that will be actually living in the apartment but it will be her are landlords in France likely to deal with us. I understand that landlords are far more strict and wary to whom they let to since the laws in France are quite in the favour of the tenant.
We've been searching for apartments on LeBonCoin and the landlords we've contacted seem to ask some details that we feel are not really something they can ask for, however, I completely understand their request for a guarantor. Unfortunately, we can't provide one.
Is there any way around this or anything that can help us in this situation?

Do you have any other suggestions? All I simply want to do is allow my friend to move closer to Paris (somewhere in Oréleans, Rouen or Amiens) which is close enough and affordable for us and still allow her to get to Paris and back allowing her to get the treatment she needs.

If you'd like any additional information please feel free to ask. I know it's a rare and odd situation but sadly it is one.

Regards.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
A distant bell is ringing and I'm getting that déjà vu feeling...

I would have thought all these places are a good hour and a half / two hours away from Paris by train, station to station, then there's potentially the travelling each end. Obviously we don't know how regularly the treatment will be needed or what her condition is, but might that not make it a rather exhausting and stressful day for her? I live a couple of hours from Paris and I'm supposedly healthy but travelling to Paris, doing an interview and travelling back the same day, leaves me feeling wiped out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A distant bell is ringing and I'm getting that déjà vu feeling...

I would have thought all these places are a good hour and a half / two hours away from Paris by train, station to station, then there's potentially the travelling each end. Obviously we don't know how regularly the treatment will be needed or what her condition is, but might that not make it a rather exhausting and stressful day for her?
Your memory doesn't fail you, EuroTrash :D

And, we calculated the distance. It's around an hour's train one way. The appointments will become less frequent as time goes by and she says she's fine with that.
Sadly, it's the compromise that has to be made there.
But that's the least of our worries. Finding the apartment is what's our concern and has been for a while now, sadly.

Also, sorry for the "troll" like posts. It's entirely genuine as bizarre as it may seem. Thank you for your kind response too :)

Regards.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
How old is she? Online there are some sites where you can "buy" a guarantor but I think you have to be under a certain age. I've looked at all this crap. Also your bank may be able to serve as one, but it needs to be the French bank account and I doubt she has one. (Well wait, she is French, right? You could move money in there and I think they basically "lock it down" in an escrow that she can't touch and is only used for rent, and then they sign as the guarantor. I have not gone this route but I asked my French bank about it once when feeling desperate.)

So okay what I did the first year when I lived in Paris, was just lucked out. I had an (expensive) freelancing person find me an apartment and that landlady did not mention the guarantor thing at all. Who knows why. So it might be a matter of luck. This apartment was found through a little ad in a newspaper though, not leboncoin.

Then, now, I'm a student. Even though I'm in my 30s, this current landlady still accepted my (American) mom signing as my guarantor, no questions asked. My mom can't even read French but hey. She signed it. lol. So that might work only with people who are used to working with students? Or maybe not?

So unfortunately if she's older than 30 and not a student and has no french bank account, it will be a matter of luck finding a landlord that is not strict and is either willing to accept you as her guarantor (if you're willing to do that) or, even better, doesn't even ask for one.

(another tip, avoid agencies...working directly with landlords gives you a better chance of flexibility. But it really is a matter of luck finding one that isn't going to ask for a guarantor. I don't know how it worked for me the first time! Maybe the fact I paid for and was using a freelancing "agent" of sorts [not a french apt agency] already proved I had money, who the frig knows. That first landlady straight up told me she doesn't like hassles so she wanted everything as simple as possible. I should ask that landlady if the apartment is available for your friend, LOL. I'd feel a little awkward doing that though...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is she? Online there are some sites where you can "buy" a guarantor but I think you have to be under a certain age. I've looked at all this crap. Also your bank may be able to serve as one, but it needs to be the French bank account and I doubt she has one. (Well wait, she is French, right? You could move money in there and I think they basically "lock it down" in an escrow that she can't touch and is only used for rent, and then they sign as the guarantor. I have not gone this route but I asked my French bank about it once when feeling desperate.)

So okay what I did the first year when I lived in Paris, was just lucked out. I had an (expensive) freelancing person find me an apartment and that landlady did not mention the guarantor thing at all. Who knows why. So it might be a matter of luck. This apartment was found through a little ad in a newspaper though, not leboncoin.

Then, now, I'm a student. Even though I'm in my 30s, this current landlady still accepted my (American) mom signing as my guarantor, no questions asked. My mom can't even read French but hey. She signed it. lol. So that might work only with people who are used to working with students? Or maybe not?

So unfortunately if she's older than 30 and not a student and has no french bank account, it will be a matter of luck finding a landlord that is not strict and is either willing to accept you as her guarantor (if you're willing to do that) or, even better, doesn't even ask for one.

(another tip, avoid agencies...working directly with landlords gives you a better chance of flexibility. But it really is a matter of luck finding one that isn't going to ask for a guarantor. I don't know how it worked for me the first time! Maybe the fact I paid for and was using a freelancing "agent" of sorts [not a french apt agency] already proved I had money, who the frig knows. That first landlady straight up told me she doesn't like hassles so she wanted everything as simple as possible. I should ask that landlady if the apartment is available for your friend, LOL. I'd feel a little awkward doing that though...)
Wow, lucky dude! We started off checking agencies at first but then after a few searches on the internet quickly changed to sites like LeBonCoin where we could deal with landlords directly. Sadly, haven't had much luck. Either they don't speak English (my fault, I should speak French to be fair) or the apartment is already taken or they just don't deal with our "situation" since it is bizarre.

My friend is only 20 years old and yes, born and lives in France, she's French :)
It's because of her health is why she doesn't have a job and doesn't study. She's hoping that once she gets this treatment she can finally get her life back (she hasn't really had much of a life since the age of 15 or so - long story).

With regards to banks, she has two. They aren't "main stream" banks. I think "main stream" banks would be willing to do the whole guarantor thing but since they also do usually require some form of income, which she doesn't have, my friend is unable to get an account open with them. Unless things are different and I can see if she could try that but this is what I was told by her :)
I do send money, and I would really like to see if this "bank guarantor" thing would work, I will have to speak to my friend about it. Thanks for the suggestion, it is highly appreciated :)

What are the requirements to be a guarantor in France? If the guarantor has no job, thus, no income, is that okay? I presume it is not. And I presume they must be French, correct?

Regards.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
With the bank, you might have to send all the money at one time...like, entire rent for a year or something. So make sure you're really ready for that!

Since she speaks French, can she help you the apartment search at all? Or does the health prevent it?

My mom wasn't French and they accepted her as a garantie. but again, that could be because I was a student so she just went with it.

Okay let's see ...since she's under 30 she might be in luck. I haven't gone through the steps but this "garantie loca-pass" might work since it counts for people under 30.
https://www.actionlogement.fr/la-garantie-loca-pass I don't see that it requires her to be salaried...however at the least it does act that she is currently "searching for employment." I mean...is she? or could she start today? you know what I mean. ;) She has to be enrolled with the Pole Emploi for that though. I know it's in French, sorry, but maybe she can read it/do it lol?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the bank, you might have to send all the money at one time...like, entire rent for a year or something. So make sure you're really ready for that!

Since she speaks French, can she help you the apartment search at all? Or does the health prevent it?

My mom wasn't French and they accepted her as a garantie. but again, that could be because I was a student so she just went with it.

Okay let's see ...since she's under 30 she might be in luck. I haven't gone through the steps but this "garantie loca-pass" might work since it counts for people under 30.
"YOUR LINK" I don't see that it requires her to be salaried...however at the least it does act that she is currently "searching for employment." I mean...is she? or could she start today? you know what I mean. ;) She has to be enrolled with the Pole Emploi for that though. I know it's in French, sorry, but maybe she can read it/do it lol?
Cheers for the link, I'll have a read. Luckily, Google Translate is good enough for me to get the gist of what the website is trying to say, so that's fine.
I'll also suggest it to my friend, she can read it to me too :)

Sadly, with her condition she can't just be put into any old job, which sucks, because she'd fine with working if she could.
Does she get a say whether she can accept a certain type of job or not or whatever this "Pole Emploi" finds she has to work with that?
And, if it's anything like the "job seekers" we have in the UK, it's usually, if you don't take any job for a while or within a period of so many months, they just remove you from the scheme. And, unfortunately, she really needs to concentrate on her health and getting things right there first before she starts to actually get a job and such.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have never looked into the Pole Emploi before. But maybe she can sign up quickly and get this loca-pass all at once (or, get the pass shortly thereafter). I would hope they'd help people with health issues too...I imagine it's like unemployment help in the USA (we have stuff like that) but I don't know.

Well, so yeah. I think those are your options. It might take either some strategy (like signing up to the Pole Emploi and then getting the loca-pass...not sure how long it takes to enroll with PE either)....or luck, like finding a landlord who doesn't ask for a guarantor. Or the bank, which may or may not work.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never looked into the Pole Emploi before. But maybe she can sign up quickly and get this loca-pass all at once (or, get the pass shortly thereafter). I would hope they'd help people with health issues too...I imagine it's like unemployment help in the USA (we have stuff like that) but I don't know.

Well, so yeah. I think those are your options. It might take either some strategy (like signing up to the Pole Emploi and then getting the loca-pass...not sure how long it takes to enroll with PE either)....or luck, like finding a landlord who doesn't ask for a guarantor. Or the bank, which may or may not work.

GOOD LUCK
Yeah, I'll need it! Thanks again :D

I'll try and see what we can find. My friend is extremely depressed (that's not the only issue here, sadly) so I've been forced to go through most French sites such as LeBonCoin and do some research and contacting landlords. She was helping where she could with that but right now she's really unable to but I'll try to get her to take part, hopefully, it'll help.
She just feels it's all pointless since we won't be able to find an apartment but I like to believe that it's not all doom and gloom and we will eventually find something.

Thank you again, for your generous help :)

Regards.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Try finding an english person to be your landlord. Heard they are good landlords.

She has 2 banks but are not "main street" banks. A bank will open an account for what? €25 & some will even give her money to open an account at her age.... Try La Poste..

Weird man.. Why don't you just bring her and let her sleep on your couch. The NHS is free..

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Why don't you just bring her and let her sleep on your couch. The NHS is free..
Yep, let's spread the word - the NHS is free, doesn't cost anybody a dime, plenty spare capacity, no waiting lists, beds ready and waiting and doctors and nurses standing by to give free medical care to people from all over the world... Bring on the free health tourists, that's what the UK needs :cool:

·
Administrator
50,376 Posts
Under the right circumstances, the sécu is free, too. But yes, I also remember this case from a while back and IIRC there are a number of complications, which may be very relevant to the situation.

The young woman in question is living on some sort of resources at the moment. But, in any event, as a French resident she is entitled to health care. It may be worth while to pursue the issue of where else the treatment is available in France - someplace closer perhaps to where she currently is living. Combined with some inquiries to the local mairie to see what social services might be available for her.

But other than that, having a "friend" from the UK jumping in to pay her rent really does have the appearance of an elaborate scam - no matter how sincere you may be in your offer. The housing market throughout France is tight enough that landlords can take their pick of applicants for a given flat, and anything out of the ordinary is going to cause them to choose someone else.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
IIRC she was living with her family. Her famiiy could act as guarantor, but I assume they are still against her moving out.
I would suggest she see an assistante sociale - perhaps they can find an HLM for her, although if her family is willing to have her live at home, that may be unlikely. Also, I tend to doubt that she would get an HLM outside the area where she currently lives, especially as there appears to be no real reason for her to move away from her current area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts