Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im new to the forum...my family and I are emigrating to Sydney in september this year...we are looking to have a rental property ready for us for when we arrive....is this possible? and how do we go about it?? we have family and friends in Sydney who could visit property for us and pay the bond etc ...but can this be done before we arrive and in our name? all advice very grateful...Thanks x:):):)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Renting in Sydney is pretty tough as there is demand for houses. From my experience, i can tell you that who ever wants to take a flat/house on rent(lease) has to visit that house in person & take the application form personally. Then submit the filled in form by fax/email (scanned copy).

you need to get some points. (like 20 points for credit card. 20 points for credit card, 20 points for salary statement etc).
then you also need to provide some references like previous rental history or some manager reference if you are in a office job.

The more proofs you submit ,the more chances you have to secure a property. having high salary also acts as a plus point.

you can also take a joint lease by putting your name & your relative or friend's name in the application if you are not in a position to provide all the proofs or do not have enough salary to take a house on your own.

another thing i can suggest you is to visit (gumtree) site which is a classified site.
there are lot of ads for shared accommodation for single person or families.
So first get your self a shared accommodation, assess the things & then start applying for rental properties.
you can search for rental properties (flats/houses) in realestate & domain portals sites there will be advertisements for properties by agents.

hope this helps.
vijay

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Vijay, your comments are helpful.....unfortunately i cant share with other people as i have an 8yr and 4yr old as well as my husband with me!!! Really need to find a house and renting a furnished one is no option as far too expensive and a waste of money when it could be going to a long time rent........there must be a way around this......

·
Registered
380 Posts
Interested to know whether some one is able to get an independent flat / house furnished / unfurnished before reaching there.

Also what are the alternatives, can we take monthly temporary accomodation ?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi everyone,

you can give AirBnB or holiday rentals a shot for the first month or so until you have signed the lease to your own flat/house.

AirBnB is usually much cheaper that holiday rentals and you should definitely haggle if you want to stay for more than a couple of days. We stayed for two weeks with our first hostess and another week with a nice couple. The costs were about 500AUD per week for inner-city accommodation. We had a private room and bath, otherwise we shared the living space with the owner(s). But you can rent entire apartments with AirBnB too - we did that in Paris for four people and it was amazing. Most offers are ideal for couples, though, because the vast majority rents out the spare guest room to earn some extra money. But maybe that could still be an option for your family.

Finally, at the lower end of the spectrum hostels also often offer weekly rates. They also often have "private" rooms (for 2-6 people) but in my opinion the value is not that great. If you come over without family (or considerable luggage) that may be one of the cheapest options.

Cheers,
Monika

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi everyone,

you can give AirBnB or holiday rentals a shot for the first month or so until you have signed the lease to your own flat/house.

AirBnB is usually much cheaper that holiday rentals and you should definitely haggle if you want to stay for more than a couple of days. We stayed for two weeks with our first hostess and another week with a nice couple. The costs were about 500AUD per week for inner-city accommodation. We had a private room and bath, otherwise we shared the living space with the owner(s). But you can rent entire apartments with AirBnB too - we did that in Paris for four people and it was amazing. Most offers are ideal for couples, though, because the vast majority rents out the spare guest room to earn some extra money. But maybe that could still be an option for your family.

Finally, at the lower end of the spectrum hostels also often offer weekly rates. They also often have "private" rooms (for 2-6 people) but in my opinion the value is not that great. If you come over without family (or considerable luggage) that may be one of the cheapest options.

Cheers,
Monika

Cheers,
Monika

Thanks for your quick reply. So if coming with family to Sydney, I think best way is to get short term like monthly accommodation. Once we move there, do you think stil we have to look for short term rentals? Are long term rentals easily to get specially for new immigrants who land without any job.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi mimran,

we found the first flat hunt quite frustrating. Things that can help:

1.) Offer to pay multiple months of rent (e.g. 3 months) in advance. In my experience the agents/landlords don't take you up on that offer but it shows that you really want the flat.
2.) Submit recent (Australian) bank statements that show that you have sufficient funds. Overseas bank statements are pretty much worthless, in my experience. If you don't have a job I would recommend to transfer enough money for 6 months of rent + bond + living expenses into the Australian bank account if the lease is for half a year.

Those two things are straight-forward - we expected something like that. However, we were unprepared for how your "character" is assessed by the rental agents. Basically, each adult inhabitant has to provide a list of references (typically: 2-4) that the agent can call up. S/he will ask them a couple of questions ("How well do you know mimran? Have you ever been to their previous flat? If yes, was it clean and taken care of? Would you rent your own property to mimran? Is it true that mimran works for your company and earns XAUD per week? etc.) If you have lived in Australia for a while you can list your employer, previous landlord, friends and work colleagues. As a newly arrived migrant you have a bit of a problem. So my recommendation is:

3.) Before you move, get in contact with people you know in Australia. Everyone has an aunt, second-cousin or friend-of-a-friend who has emigrated to Australia. Get their contact details, call (or email) them and ask if they would be willing to serve as references on your rental application. Don't be too hesitant about approaching people you don't know well. Providing references is customary in Australia and even if you have not seen them for a couple of years they'll probably help you out! You need their full names and phone numbers.

Good luck with the flat hunt!

Monika

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi mimran,

we found the first flat hunt quite frustrating. Things that can help:

1.) Offer to pay multiple months of rent (e.g. 3 months) in advance. In my experience the agents/landlords don't take you up on that offer but it shows that you really want the flat.
2.) Submit recent (Australian) bank statements that show that you have sufficient funds. Overseas bank statements are pretty much worthless, in my experience. If you don't have a job I would recommend to transfer enough money for 6 months of rent + bond + living expenses into the Australian bank account if the lease is for half a year.

Those two things are straight-forward - we expected something like that. However, we were unprepared for how your "character" is assessed by the rental agents. Basically, each adult inhabitant has to provide a list of references (typically: 2-4) that the agent can call up. S/he will ask them a couple of questions ("How well do you know mimran? Have you ever been to their previous flat? If yes, was it clean and taken care of? Would you rent your own property to mimran? Is it true that mimran works for your company and earns XAUD per week? etc.) If you have lived in Australia for a while you can list your employer, previous landlord, friends and work colleagues. As a newly arrived migrant you have a bit of a problem. So my recommendation is:

3.) Before you move, get in contact with people you know in Australia. Everyone has an aunt, second-cousin or friend-of-a-friend who has emigrated to Australia. Get their contact details, call (or email) them and ask if they would be willing to serve as references on your rental application. Don't be too hesitant about approaching people you don't know well. Providing references is customary in Australia and even if you have not seen them for a couple of years they'll probably help you out! You need their full names and phone numbers.

Good luck with the flat hunt!

Monika

Thanks for your detailed reply. It seems really a daunting task.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi mimran,

it's not *that* bad, actually. The agents treat you like you have never rented before (think: student moving out from his/her parent's house) and that can be very annoying. We ended up asking our AirBnB hostess, a professor I knew from a conference and my partner's employer and new work colleagues - we did not know either of them for more than a couple of days.

Job applicants have a similar problem, by the way. You are supposed to provide a list of references (= previous employers) but many recruiters don't want to call overseas. So your application may be thrown out before they even look at your skills in detail. If you come from a country were it is not customary to provide references it can be a bit daunting.

But take heart: The second job or a flat hunt is so much easier! We recently moved to a new flat and got positive replies to 2 out of 3 applications within two days. When we arrived it took us three weeks to get an apartment.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi mimran,

it's not *that* bad, actually. The agents treat you like you have never rented before (think: student moving out from his/her parent's house) and that can be very annoying. We ended up asking our AirBnB hostess, a professor I knew from a conference and my partner's employer and new work colleagues - we did not know either of them for more than a couple of days.

Job applicants have a similar problem, by the way. You are supposed to provide a list of references (= previous employers) but many recruiters don't want to call overseas. So your application may be thrown out before they even look at your skills in detail. If you come from a country were it is not customary to provide references it can be a bit daunting.

But take heart: The second job or a flat hunt is so much easier! We recently moved to a new flat and got positive replies to 2 out of 3 applications within two days. When we arrived it took us three weeks to get an apartment.

All the best,
Monika
Thanks so much for your help. One more thing, that if I initially go for only monthly contract (month by month), rather than yearly , then stil are the landlords reluctant to give us flat?

Also as once we move, so definitely we have to look for fully furnished flats. Are furnished flats easily available ? Also while applying for property from overseas will landlord be comfortable to give property on rent even we have not seen them? On my end, I can send someone in Sydney to meet with the landlord or to see the flat.

All in all, I prefer separate accommodation for family , furnished and OK with monthly contract. So lets see what happens.

For job wise, its really scary that they dont appreciate overseas references, because even though I have friends, I cannot refer any one professionally. Probably getting a contract job is the best things we can aim for initially to build up the so called local experience. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Thanks so much for your help. One more thing, that if I initially go for only monthly contract (month by month), rather than yearly , then stil are the landlords reluctant to give us flat? Also as once we move, so definitely we have to look for fully furnished flats. Are furnished flats easily available ? Also while applying for property from overseas will landlord be comfortable to give property on rent even we have not seen them? On my end, I can send someone in Sydney to meet with the landlord or to see the flat. All in all, I prefer separate accommodation for family , furnished and OK with monthly contract. So lets see what happens. For job wise, its really scary that they dont appreciate overseas references, because even though I have friends, I cannot refer any one professionally. Probably getting a contract job is the best things we can aim for initially to build up the so called local experience. :)
On the subject of overseas references, that has not been my experience at all. I was offered two jobs and all of my references were contacted, all of them being overseas. In cases where people couldn't be reached by phone because of time zones or whatever, they were contacted by email. So I really wouldn't worry about that. I mean it's 2013 for crying out loud.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi mimran,

our first rental agreement was for 6 months and the flat was furnished. If you take a look at domain.com.au you'll find quite a few fully furnished apartments. There is also the option to rent appliances (fridge, washing machine, TV) if you don't want to buy straightaway. Long-term it is of course more efficient to buy but it can be an intermediate solution.

Landlords generally won't rent you an apartment if you have not inspected the property first. I would also not advise it because the rents are high and you don't want to be stuck in an apartment that looked nice in the pictures but is a dump in real life ;). There are other options (AirBnB, shared accommodation via Gumtree, hotel, holiday rental) that are more suitable for the initial month or two, while you look for something permanent.

The most common rental terms seem to be 6 or 12 months. I have not come across any monthly contracts. If you want something like that you'd probably have to look at holiday or temporary rentals or something similar, which will be more expensive.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi mimran,

our first rental agreement was for 6 months and the flat was furnished. If you take a look at domain.com.au you'll find quite a few fully furnished apartments. There is also the option to rent appliances (fridge, washing machine, TV) if you don't want to buy straightaway. Long-term it is of course more efficient to buy but it can be an intermediate solution.

Landlords generally won't rent you an apartment if you have not inspected the property first. I would also not advise it because the rents are high and you don't want to be stuck in an apartment that looked nice in the pictures but is a dump in real life ;). There are other options (AirBnB, shared accommodation via Gumtree, hotel, holiday rental) that are more suitable for the initial month or two, while you look for something permanent.

The most common rental terms seem to be 6 or 12 months. I have not come across any monthly contracts. If you want something like that you'd probably have to look at holiday or temporary rentals or something similar, which will be more expensive.

Cheers,
Monika
Thanks so much. You have been a great help. I really appreciate your help. In case I will need more information, I will let you know. Thanks again :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts