Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

We are planning to rent in France from around May time. I understand that long term leases require French guarantors etc which we would not have straight away as we do not know anyone French- apart from English people with houses there which I take it wouldn't do?!

We are therefore thinking that for the first couple of months we would take a holiday letting until we got more sorted.

Does anyone know how common 2-3 month lets are and if owners accept pets (as we have 2 dogs)

Has anyone had any success in finding a place along these lines, I appreciate most owners make all their money during the summer months and may not offer this.

If anyone knows of any websites or even anyone with a place they would be willing to rent, please can you let me know or offer any suggestions!:plane:

Many Thanks!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello !

I dont know how much you can put on a rent but holiday rentals are rather expensive, and in some places you just cant find some.
There a french institution/official association that can be your guarantor if you dont have any. its called locapass, but im not sure youll be able to use it.
From France, if you speak french or if a friend can help you, you can contact ADIL - association departementale d'information sur le logement.
For the pets, some holiday rentals owner can refuse them, but i think its illegal to forbid pets in a regular rental.
i hope this helped you,
good luck
pauline

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, did you get a rental sorted out for yourselves? We are in a similar situation now as we are relocating in northern france, 62, from mid france, 79. stumbling with the French paperwork! I wonder if any English people have houses to rent out here, and can deal directly with us ex pats?

please let me know how you have got on. Donna.

·
Administrator
53,146 Posts
I'm afraid you've "woken up" a really ancient thread here. I don't think either poster has been around for a couple of years at least - so either they solved their problem or they've changed their plans.

As far as finding a place to rent, there are English language sites for renting property (mostly holiday property) - and according to those who check those sorts of things, you'll pay more dearly for the fact of having found the property from an English language site.

Some of the folks here may be able to recommend English language property sites (but be aware that the rental agreements will still have to reflect French law for the most part).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks Bev, where we live in Deux Sevres there are hundreds of English living there. Here, up north and closer to the UK, I cannot find any!!!! Do you know of any ex pats here in Pas de Calais region? Struggling online to find social groups or anything in 62! Strange? thanks again, Donna.

·
Administrator
53,146 Posts
I'm told there are quite a few expats in the Pas de Calais region, but as I mentioned to someone over on another thread, they don't appear to be terribly organized - at least not into discrete expat groups or clubs.

You could try a more general newcomers' group (like AVF - sorry, I know I sound like a broken record on this, but the association can be a real find in some areas, and a quick way to get to know people). Or go to the local mairie and see what clubs and associations they sponsor in town.

The other thing is to go find the local rental and property agents in person. In that part of France, if you walk into the agency and ask if they have anyone who speaks English, you could be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Bev, I will check out the AVF, not heard of them before! I have been to all local agents, as I speak french after being here for 4 yrs, but you have to have a regular pay cheque- we are self employed as we renovate property- so only get paid once a job is done and not monthly! French and their paperwork eh!!!!! The fact that we own two properties, have healthy bank accounts etc etc doesn't seem to matter! Hence, we are only looking to rent until we sell one of the houses down south and then can buy a house up here!
Anyway, I will keep looking. Thanks for your help. Donna.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not sure how many are in your area but if you join groups on Facebook like LIFT (ladies in France together), Mums Space France Group or French Focus Friends you might find a few, or at least be pointed in the right direction!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
don't know if you've found somewhere yet, but we have a 4 bedroom house in Josselin - sleeps up to 10 plus a baby. Lovely view of the Chateau and a few minutes walk from the canal. We are currently renting it as a holiday home, but are considering taking a long term renter instead. We have a little terraced garden with stone seating for about 3, but the canal is only a few steps away and we have made an indoor garden too.
We have a website that you might want to look at, which will show you some pics of the house and a bit more info. The address is: moirasara.wix.com/josselinholiday
I have some more up to date photos which I'm about to put on the website. If you want to see more, I can send them to you.
If you're still looking, have a look and let us know what you think.

best wishes
Moira

·
Administrator
53,146 Posts
A guarantor is only required for those who can't show proof of employment or another source of income considered adequate to cover the rent. Normally, when a French kid goes to rent their first place on their own (for school or when getting started in employment), the parents act as guarantors - which allows the landlord to collect the rent from Mom and Dad should the kid fail to pay.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.