Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone give me an idea of what official papers are required for renting a flat?
Does one have to show the contract for a job?
Does one have to show one's bank details and are they acceptable when the money is in another eu country?
Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Could anyone give me an idea of what official papers are required for renting a flat?
Does one have to show the contract for a job?
Does one have to show one's bank details and are they acceptable when the money is in another eu country?
Any help would be much appreciated.
You usually need to prove a regular income stream that is at least 3 times the monthly rent. If you can't do that, you will normally be asked to provide a guarantor in France.
You will need a bank account in France (except perhaps if your landlord is resident in the other EU country, in which case you might get lucky).
Rental contracts are covered by French law - if there's an issue with the tenant it can be difficult, if not impossible, to take action when banks or guarantors are outside France.

·
Administrator
50,884 Posts
There are the "official" papers required to conclude a rental contract. And then there are the standard papers that are expected in order to prove your credit-worthiness.

France doesn't have credit rating agencies or that sort of thing, so the "usual" credit check consists of providing three months' back payslips (French origin) to prove that your income is at least 3 times the rent. For newcomers, some/most landlords will accept an employment contract or some variety of proof of pension being deposited into a French bank account.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for their help. I'll hear tonight what could be missing. She does have a contract and her salary is above the expected third of one's salary but it does seem that a guarantor would also be needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts