Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renting Flat/apartment in Manchester

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Joppa 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

We are foreigners who are jobseekers that would want to move to Manchester. We are looking for a flat or studio type apartment exclusively for 2 persons that is safe and accessible for public transportation and also inclusive of all the bills. I have heard that there are some good reasonable areas in Manchester like Didsbury, Whittington, Chorlton and Salford Quays. As we browsed through the net we saw some that fits our budget, our budget range from 300-450 Pounds pcm.

1.) Among the places mentioned ,what is the safest area and most accessible for public transportation to the center? Can you suggest other areas?
2.) Can you give us an idea of what are the details that the foreign tenants should know to rent a flat/ apartment in Manchester?
3.) What are the expectations in terms of payment? do we need to do advance payments and deposit?
4.) Is it necessary to get an agent? if yes can you please recommend us an office that we can contact through phone or email?

thank you so much in advance.

#2 ·
Hello Everyone,

We are foreigners who are jobseekers that would want to move to Manchester. We are looking for a flat or studio type apartment exclusively for 2 persons that is safe and accessible for public transportation and also inclusive of all the bills. I have heard that there are some good reasonable areas in Manchester like Didsbury, Whittington, Chorlton and Salford Quays. As we browsed through the net we saw some that fits our budget, our budget range from 300-450 Pounds pcm.
Did your partner get the EEA Family Permit? If so, would you mind sharing your timeline?
1.) Among the places mentioned ,what is the safest area and most accessible for public transportation to the center? Can you suggest other areas?
2.) Can you give us an idea of what are the details that the foreign tenants should know to rent a flat/ apartment in Manchester?
Wherever you go, you should know these: don't make payments/deposits in cash -unless is made to an account at a Bank-, always ask for a receipt/voucher, check carefully the inventory of your rental unit, make sure you get immediately a hard copy of your tenancy agreement, if something isn't right call your landlord/property manager immediately. READ THE FINE PRINT!
3.) What are the expectations in terms of payment? do we need to do advance payments and deposit?.
Normally, you will be asked for a 6 week deposit + 1 month rental.
4.) Is it necessary to get an agent? if yes can you please recommend us an office that we can contact through phone or email?
thank you so much in advance
Personally, I will never, ever, rent anything without having an agent involved. I'd rather pay their commission, than being scammed.

Studio flats to rent in Manchester City Centre, Greater Manchester Most of the units have an agent and their telephone number listed.

Animo
(Cheers)

#5 ·
Did your partner get the EEA Family Permit? If so, would you mind sharing your timeline?

Wherever you go, you should know these: don't make payments/deposits in cash -unless is made to an account at a Bank-, always ask for a receipt/voucher, check carefully the inventory of your rental unit, make sure you get immediately a hard copy of your tenancy agreement, if something isn't right call your landlord/property manager immediately. READ THE FINE PRINT!

Normally, you will be asked for a 6 week deposit + 1 month rental.

Personally, I will never, ever, rent anything without having an agent involved. I'd rather pay their commission, than being scammed.

Studio flats to rent in Manchester City Centre, Greater Manchester Most of the units have an agent and their telephone number listed.

Animo
(Cheers)
Hi Jorge,

Thanks so much for your advice. We will take note of those like asking for reciept and to get in touch with the agent

We didn't submit the EEA family permit application yet coz we are still waiting for my documents that were translated. But other than that we have all the documents on hand. we will let you know once it would be submitted.

The reason why i opened this thread is because we want to be ready once we are there and have the right expectations. also, we would fly right away once the eea family permit is granted.

Anyways, we are so concern about the credit rating in uk which obviously we don't have it. I read some articles that say if we don't have credit rating in uk we need to pay 6months of rent. Which is too much for us. Are there any alternative documents that we can provide?

Right now we are already budgeting for our relocation from the daily expenses, travel expenses and rent. Let's just say our budget for renting a fully furnished flat would be 350pounds. Would we expect to have other overhead expenses like taxes, commission to the agent etc.

Thanks so much for all your accurate prompt information

#4 ·
Hello !

Normally you can find flats that are furnished or unfurnished but I never have seen any that was inclusive of all the bills. So you will have to add the costs of : council tax (around £100/month depending of area/band, electricity & gas, tv license, insurance, cable/internet/phone)

I know only Didsbury and Salford Quays both have good public transports (bus, tram) and are quite close to Manchester city centre. Didsbury has a large student community and young families. Salford Quays is more for young professionals working in the city (single or young couples). Salford Quays is not that big area and is directly surrounded by areas that are not too safe. Disbury is bigger in terms of area and has nice shops/coffee places/bars. If it was me, I would prefer to live in Didsbury (compared to Salford Quays). I do not know the other areas.

I might be difficult for you to rent if you do not have any credit rating in the UK. Normally they would credit check you and if they can't they might event ask you for 6 month payments in advance and really good references (from your employer,etc..)

It's not an obligation to be with an agent but most flat are rented through estate agents so you will have to contact them if you are interested in a specific flat. You can find flats to rent on here : UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent

You will only be able to start your search once you are in the UK, you will find that the estate agents will probably be interested until you are physically here. However you can start looking at specific areas where you would like to live so it doesn't take too much time finding a place once your are here.

hope this helps
Joanne

#7 ·
Hi Joanne,

This would definitely help.

Yeah actually Didsbury is also our priority.

We are so concerned about the credit rating in uk and specially the 6months advance payments coz this will exhaust all of our savings. Are there other alternative that we can suffice for crediting rating? if yes, what are those documents that we need to present?

So that we can maximize our time , do you think it would be better if we start emailing some agents and give them our tentative schedule to be there in UK?

Thanks so much for your information

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.