Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats my chance to rent an apartment as I ll be unemployed for a while ? Im looking for a 1 bedroom apartment at aud500 pw in sydney. I ll only have 20k cash in the bank. I ll try gumtree and other suggestions ?
Thanks

Registered
Whats my chance to rent an apartment as I ll be unemployed for a while ? Im looking for a 1 bedroom apartment at aud500 pw in sydney. I ll only have 20k cash in the bank. I ll try gumtree and other suggestions ?
Thanks
People have gotten rental application accepted by discussing their situation with the Estate Agents and offering 3 or 6 months rental upfront. Advance payment is more safe and thus convincing to the landlord than anything else.

Registered
People have gotten rental application accepted by discussing their situation with the Estate Agents and offering 3 or 6 months rental upfront. Advance payment is more safe and thus convincing to the landlord than anything else.
i was about to start a similar thread until i saw this.

can you advise if i should contact the agents in these sites? i dont have a job yet too

https://www.rent.com.au/

https://www.realestate.com.au/rent

Registered
Has anyone tried Airbnb? Would you recommend?
I've heard of some cases where some people got swindled...but i'm guessing that this might be in some rare occasions..
A few friends have used it and are satisfied.
Just remember 2 things, you must deal directly through their website ie payments etc,
and dont forget to ask for a discount, which they usually do provide. Once you agreed, they will send you a message with a discounted price to pay...

But you must pay through the platform. Dont try bank transfers or Western Union etc... You will have the protection of AirBnB.

Registered
Has anyone tried Airbnb? Would you recommend?
I've heard of some cases where some people got swindled...but i'm guessing that this might be in some rare occasions..
Airbnb is ok but since they are owners of the property, they could cancel the booking last minute. Do read the reviews

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks
two weeks ago, rented 2 bedroom furnished apartment in Chatswood for aud570 pw including bills except internet (myself paying aud60 monthly by TPG)

got this place from gumtree from real estate agent.

Registered
Any advice how we can rent a small apartment in Aus, either in Syd or Mel, for my small family of 3, while still unemployed?
I am also in the same boat. Any information will be useful.

Registered
Hi,

I was also in the same situation last year. I landed here with my wife and a kid(4months) in Melbourne. So i booked a hotel for 1 week and started looking for rental property. Unfortunately, i did not got anything good within a week and hence extended it for another week. I continued searching and send some messages on facebook in indians in Melbourne and i got very good response. I got a very good indian family in sharing and it was quite cheap. Within a month, i got a job in sydney and hence renting was easy if you have a job. Thus, i would suggest you to have a sharing apartment mostly with another family. Its cheap, best and safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Yeah go with Gumtree or Airbnb for shortterm rentals until you get a job.

Getting a job is key to a successful rental application.

What works in your favour is the rental market is a buyer's market these days, more people putting properties out for rent than renters looking. I am Australian and have a job and we literally got approved for every single house we put in an application for. Don't listen to the estate agents, they would all try to make it sound like they have hundreds of applicants per house.

Registered
can you suggest if there is a better way to find rental properties than engaging with estate agents?

Yeah go with Gumtree or Airbnb for shortterm rentals until you get a job.

Getting a job is key to a successful rental application.

What works in your favour is the rental market is a buyer's market these days, more people putting properties out for rent than renters looking. I am Australian and have a job and we literally got approved for every single house we put in an application for. Don't listen to the estate agents, they would all try to make it sound like they have hundreds of applicants per house.

Registered
can you suggest if there is a better way to find rental properties than engaging with estate agents?
Hi Hemanth,

Maybe if some one you know is renting his property, or if someone is breaking his lease and advertises on gumtree. Houses are mostly rented and managed out via agents, you hardly get to interact with the owners.

Cheers!!

Registered
Is sublet tenancy documents are accepted for lease contract?
Not clear what you mean.

I am assuming you want to include sublet tenancy clause on your lease contract. I am not sure about this, have never considered this. If i was renting my place i would not agree to include sublet tenancy.

Registered
Not clear what you mean.

I am assuming you want to include sublet tenancy clause on your lease contract. I am not sure about this, have never considered this. If i was renting my place i would not agree to include sublet tenancy.

I want to rent a room and its not directly from landlord, the person who is existing tenet,will give me a room.it not direct lease from landlord...........he wants to give me paper with flatmate Agreement.
Will this be accepted as residential proof for 887 visa?

Registered
I am also in the same boat. Any information will be useful.
Same condition here, also have a very short IED.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.