Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous thread, someone got an employment visa and asked if he could drive in UAE with his Canadian driving license.

He was answered "If you are on an employment visa then you cannot drive on the Canadian license. Once you get the residence you can only drive on Dubai license." Then there was no further post.

My question on this is "No matter I get a employment visa or travel as a visitor, I still have a valid Canadian driving license. Why am I not allowed to drive in UAE if I have an employment visa, while I am allowed if I am a visitor? Will renting companies check my visa?"

Appreciate it if anyone can help. It is very hard to live in a place at 40-50 Deg. C everyday without a car.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
In a previous thread, someone got an employment visa and asked if he could drive in UAE with his Canadian driving license.

He was answered "If you are on an employment visa then you cannot drive on the Canadian license. Once you get the residence you can only drive on Dubai license." Then there was no further post.

My question on this is "No matter I get a employment visa or travel as a visitor, I still have a valid Canadian driving license. Why am I not allowed to drive in UAE if I have an employment visa, while I am allowed if I am a visitor? Will renting companies check my visa?"

Appreciate it if anyone can help. It is very hard to live in a place at 40-50 Deg. C everyday without a car.
Hi,
If you are a Canadian citizen - then it's a 5 minute process to get a UAE driving licence, once you have your residence visa and Emirates ID.
Whilst the rental companies might hire you a car on your Canadian licence - if you were stopped by the police or had an accident, then you could face problems if you are driving without the correct licence.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
If you are a Canadian citizen - then it's a 5 minute process to get a UAE driving licence, once you have your residence visa and Emirates ID.
Whilst the rental companies might hire you a car on your Canadian licence - if you were stopped by the police or had an accident, then you could face problems if you are driving without the correct licence.
Cheers
Steve
Thank you, Steve, for your information. I knew we can convert our license to UAE license with some paperwork. I am concerning the period before I get Emirate ID, I guess, could be some weeks. If I access UAE with an employment visa, can I still rent a car with my Canadian driving license? Thanks,

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thank you, Steve, for your information. I knew we can convert our license to UAE license with some paperwork. I am concerning the period before I get Emirate ID, I guess, could be some weeks. If I access UAE with an employment visa, can I still rent a car with my Canadian driving license? Thanks,

I believe your CA licence will be fine to rent a car until you have a visa stamped in passport, once stamped you should apply for UAE licence. If the employment visa you refer to is the pink entry permit then you're not a UAE resident yet and still a visitor until visa process is completed.

In reality if you rent a car on a monthly basis before your visa is stamped the hire company won't know when your visa is stamped so you'd have a little time to organize the UAE licence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe your CA licence will be fine to rent a car until you have a visa stamped in passport, once stamped you should apply for UAE licence. If the employment visa you refer to is the pink entry permit then you're not a UAE resident yet and still a visitor until visa process is completed.

In reality if you rent a car on a monthly basis before your visa is stamped the hire company won't know when your visa is stamped so you'd have a little time to organize the UAE licence.
Thank you so much, sir, for replying me. Currently I am getting my degree attested in UAE embassy in Ottawa. I used to call the embassy, trying to understand some details on getting working visa or permit and was simply told my employer should take care of that. Now I can only put info. together and try to imagine the steps to get everything done.

Now I am still in Canada. I do not believe my employer will request me to courier my passport to them for stamping a visa. I guess I should get the pink entry permit as you mentioned. If I can rent a car in this way, that is perfect. Otherwise, I am thinking to enter UAE as a visitor, rent a car for a month and then change status in UAE.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thank you so much, sir, for replying me. Currently I am getting my degree attested in UAE embassy in Ottawa. I used to call the embassy, trying to understand some details on getting working visa or permit and was simply told my employer should take care of that. Now I can only put info. together and try to imagine the steps to get everything done.

Now I am still in Canada. I do not believe my employer will request me to courier my passport to them for stamping a visa. I guess I should get the pink entry permit as you mentioned. If I can rent a car in this way, that is perfect. Otherwise, I am thinking to enter UAE as a visitor, rent a car for a month and then change status in UAE.

As with anything here rules can change but I think you'll be fine to rent a car with existing licence until your visa is stamped at least. The 'pink' entry permit is white these days if sent by email :) your pp will only have an entry stamp as a visitor until you get the visa so just use passport and driving licence to rent the car, they won't care as long as no visa in your passport yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As with anything here rules can change but I think you'll be fine to rent a car with existing licence until your visa is stamped at least. The 'pink' entry permit is white these days if sent by email :) your pp will only have an entry stamp as a visitor until you get the visa so just use passport and driving licence to rent the car, they won't care as long as no visa in your passport yet.
Thank you and thank all others for spending time to provide information to me. I did not expect I could get help here so much and so quick. Settling down in a new country may not be easy. But warm-hearted people are always around and willing to help. Thanks to you all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, Racing Goats, What is the pink paper, which now is white? How is it called? Entry Permit or anything else? I do not believe it is called employment visa or work permit, which should only be got after medical examination in UAE.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Basically rent on your Canadian license, then as soon as that visa is stamped in your passport - you can simply show that your EID is under process, go and exchange for a UAE license and give a copy of this and your visa to the car hire company.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hi, Racing Goats, What is the pink paper, which now is white? How is it called? Entry Permit or anything else? I do not believe it is called employment visa or work permit, which should only be got after medical examination in UAE.

The newer online system provides an electronic entry permit on a white background, the title says 'employment visa' (at least those I've seen do), this is the entry permit that you need to have stamped at immigration on arrival/entering UAE along with your passport, the paper with stamp is one of the documents required to apply for visa.

If you are eligible for visa in arrival you won't always have an entry permit before you get to UAE, in that case you normally need to pay the change of status fee (tourist/visitor to employment/residence visa) as part of the application process.

Last year when sponsoring my kids they were issued pink entry permits with the title 'Residence Visa', that again had to be stamped on arrival at the airport and then submitted with the other paperwork to apply for visa stamping.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
It really doesn't matter. So long as you inform them as soon as you have it, it's fine. We did this with my husband. BUT if you have a residence visa, then you need a UAE drivers license.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Might also be worth considering that you most likely won't have a credit card until your visa is stamped in your passport (or when you get Emirates ID depending on the bank and the relationship they have with your employer) so if you want to rent a car before you're able to convert your driving license, you may need to pay with your Canadian credit card.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The newer online system provides an electronic entry permit on a white background, the title says 'employment visa' (at least those I've seen do), this is the entry permit that you need to have stamped at immigration on arrival/entering UAE along with your passport, the paper with stamp is one of the documents required to apply for visa.

If you are eligible for visa in arrival you won't always have an entry permit before you get to UAE, in that case you normally need to pay the change of status fee (tourist/visitor to employment/residence visa) as part of the application process.

Last year when sponsoring my kids they were issued pink entry permits with the title 'Residence Visa', that again had to be stamped on arrival at the airport and then submitted with the other paperwork to apply for visa stamping.
Thanks a lot, Racing Goats. Have a nice day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts