Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

In a couple of weeks myself (British citizen) and my fiancee (US citizen, ILR in UK) will be travelling to South Carolina.

We're renting a car there and have both held a UK license for over 2 years. My fiancee still has a South Carolina driving license with some years left on it (she's never renewed it since moving here), but she obviously doesn't use it here or there - would this create any issues if she's using her UK license to hire the car?

Just wanted to check.

Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi guys,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

In a couple of weeks myself (British citizen) and my fiancee (US citizen, ILR in UK) will be travelling to South Carolina.

We're renting a car there and have both held a UK license for over 2 years. My fiancee still has a South Carolina driving license with some years left on it (she's never renewed it since moving here), but she obviously doesn't use it here or there - would this create any issues if she's using her UK license to hire the car?

Just wanted to check.

Thanks.
My husband used his UK license to hire a car in Texas with no problem. I had to use my British one because my Pennsylvania license had expired. But if your fiance has a valid South Carolina license, I'd say to use that. It's easier for people to identify and accept, especially if you're not in a touristy area. And you might get lower insurance rates since her driving record would be available (I think, but I could be wrong).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi modzy78,

We didn't want to use her license because it's been 7 years since she moved to the UK, and we presumed it wouldn't be seen as valid with her not living there anymore.

Also, I think rental car rates are only for UK renters using a UK license as renting a car in the US with a US license is much more expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.