Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just posted this in the Britain forum, but that mainly seems to be visa questions so this section might be more relevant.

In a couple of weeks myself (British citizen) and my fiancee (US citizen, ILR in UK) will be travelling to South Carolina.

We're renting a car there and have both held a UK license for over 2 years. My fiancee still has a South Carolina driving license with some years left on it (she's never renewed it since moving here), but she obviously doesn't use it in the US or UK - would this create any issues or confusion if she's using her UK license to hire the car?

I'm mainly thinking of if we get in an accident or are pulled over and whether it might contradict anything to have a state license and a UK license, the latter being used to rent the car.

Just wanted to check.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
49,986 Posts
It shouldn't cause any problems. I have rented cars when I visit the US for years now. Most rental companies (particularly at the airport locations) deal with foreign licenses all the time. The fact of her still having a US license is pretty much irrelevant - if nothing else, the NC license does not show her current residential address and it could be argued that it isn't valid, if only for that reason.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers. The main reason I wanted to check is because her family live in rural south carolina and small town cops will have no clue what they're being shown if they see a foreign license! I plan on doing most of the driving anyway but it'd be handy to have her as a driver just in case.

I I thought I'd check in case there were complications with doing this, effectively having two licenses in one place, though I suppose, as you say, the sc one can't be considered valid if she hasn't lived in the country for 7 years!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts