Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi we are moving in August to Spain. At the moment we are looking at Velez, Algarrobo, Torre de Mar area. We are looking to rent a 2 bedroom furnished apartment.
We have contacted Estate Agents but were wondering if any readers had similar properties to rent.
We will be stopping in a hotel in Velez from the 20/08 so if anybody wishes to contact us I
will supply the phone number to contact.
We retired 8 years ago and have been living in Turkey, now we wish to sample the Spanish lifestyle.

Helen Burn/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Helen -an idea you can try -
I have just got a 6 month rental starting mid August. I searched holiday letting sites such as , Homeaway.co.uk I sent emails to owners advertising week/2week holiday lets, I asked if they would consider long term lets. I got quite a few responses, spoke to the owners in person, and now have a booking direct with the owner so no agents fees. And she is happy with my 2 dogs and a cat to stay. I can extend the rental until the end of June too if I like.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Anybody thinking of retiring to Spain (especially those from the UK who appear to me to be the most naive on Earth) should think fairly extensively. Fortunately, this is not too difficult. Let's say you've decided to move, not selling your UK home, not seeking employment, not bringing kids.

Do not forget repeat do not forget that on the Costas you are in Renters Heaven. Supply is outstripping Demand. You can decide to rent in different apartments on the same road forever. If you've got an iota of sense rent privately. Out of season a well located, good 2 bedroom apartment will fetch around €550 per month in rental. Electricity costs will be in addition to rental.

I have seen retired couples being screwed bareback by some real estate agents regarding finders fees, commission, advance rental, deposit against damage, deposits against the sun shining etc.

And your average naive, please screw me retired Brit thinking he (usually a he) is looking a gift horse nearly always bites the bait.

In Ireland we have a saying that faraway fields are green. Fields are less green in Spain, but Mr "I can't wait to move to Spain" in his vaguely thought-out anticipation, leaves what's left of his brain back in Blighty. In whatever location you choose to live it should take no less than five seconds to discover that hordes of rentals are immediately available.

But, if you're the guy who enjoys waiting in queues, thinks every day is a jolly one and England will win the World Cup, The Daily Telegraph is the be-all-and-end-all of good newspapers and every Brit in Spain is honest, then lie down and prepared to be trod on and you deserve no less.

For everybody else, keep an open mind, always rent with the possibility of a retreat in mind. Be honest with yourself and enjoy the sunshine.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
When renting or buying, its so important to view these places first - get a feel, make sure there arent any "nasties" in or around them (photos can be so deceptive) and to make sure you feel comfortable with everything. I personally have "fallen in love" with properties I've seen on a website, only to be horrified when physically viewing them. As Leper has suggested, there are alot of properties available and therefore deals and offers can be made

Jo xxx

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Do not forget repeat do not forget that on the Costas you are in Renters Heaven. Supply is outstripping Demand. You can decide to rent in different apartments on the same road forever. If you've got an iota of sense rent privately. Out of season a well located, good 2 bedroom apartment will fetch around €550 per month in rental. Electricity costs will be in addition to rental.
Except that the OP mentions Vélez-Málaga as one of her possible locations. Your scenario definitely doesn't apply here. Even if she wanted to rent long term, there are currently only 30 long term rental properties listed on idealista.com, for example (and this is in a very big town, by far the largest in the area). Even fewer would be available just for a six month let.

Torre del Mar would be a different story, and estate agents' windows are full of apartments to rent for the winter months, and prices tend to be cheaper than you have quoted, €400-€450 per month.

Algarrobo, well depends if you mean Algarrobo Pueblo or Algarrobo Costa. Algarrobo Pueblo not being a tourist destination, there will not be many rental properties there, but more availability on the Costa.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Hi we are moving in August to Spain. At the moment we are looking at Velez, Algarrobo, Torre de Mar area. We are looking to rent a 2 bedroom furnished apartment.
We have contacted Estate Agents but were wondering if any readers had similar properties to rent.
We will be stopping in a hotel in Velez from the 20/08 so if anybody wishes to contact us I
will supply the phone number to contact.
We retired 8 years ago and have been living in Turkey, now we wish to sample the Spanish lifestyle.

Helen Burn/
Torre del Mar would definitely be your best bet for finding a rental, Helen, although you might struggle to get something affordable until October. Here is a typical example of what you could get for €400 per month during the winter months:-

Alquiler de Piso en calle mar egeo, 13, Poniente-Faro, Torre del Mar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts