Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I signed my lease in Aug-2011:

1. Please confirm: Rents cannot be increased for the first 2 years of tenancy (regardless of your current rent compared to the rental index).

2. Where can I find the rental index calculator? (I couldn't find on rera's website)

3. Is it mandatory for my landlord to register the lease with ejariDOTae?

4. Can the tenant be liable/fined if the lease is not registered with ejariDOTae?

5. Where can I find information about these rental queries?

Thank You

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hello,

I signed my lease in Aug-2011:

1. Please confirm: Rents cannot be increased for the first 2 years of tenancy (regardless of your current rent compared to the rental index).

The 2nd year is on the same terms as the first.

2. Where can I find the rental index calculator? (I couldn't find on rera's website)

No idea. It isn't really relevant to be honest. The price is decided by the market.

3. Is it mandatory for my landlord to register the lease with ejariDOTae?

Legally yes, but this is hardly ever done. The tenant can also do it.

4. Can the tenant be liable/fined if the lease is not registered with ejariDOTae?

Not to my knowledge.

5. Where can I find information about these rental queries?

You just did!

Thank You
Pleasure...

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Not sure where the index is, but here is the rent increase calculator. You can out in spurious details, and shold be able to get the index. :: Land Department ::

However, at the end of the day, if the landlord wants you out (because he wants to increase rent and you do not), are you really going to fight with him on a daily basis? Will you really go to RERA and file a case? Is it really worth the hassle? What if the landlord does not pay the service charge and you get hassled by it? What if he stops the mortgage payment and you get hassled by the bank (i have seen both happening - landlord can always delay a bit, put the blame on you, negotiate their way out of it esp. if they are out of the country, but you would be the one left fretting over all this)

PS: Just saw my rent increase by over 10% when we renewed this month. I was well within my rights as per RERA to fight it out, but really not worth the tension. We all have enough of it already

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.