Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everybody!

I just moved to UAE - I got a job in Abu Dhabi.
However, I want to rent 1 bedroom appartment in Dubai - but in the closest area possible to Abu Dhabi. I don't mind driving 45 min to work every day.

I see the map of Dubai and by common sense I can determine which areas are the closest ones to AD, BUT I have no information regarding which area has living conditions, which one is suitable for alone female to live, etc.

I came to the conclusion that Jabel Ali is the closest to AD, but I couldn't find any advertisment for appartment rental.

Please, spend a few minutes to advise me as I need to move in there from the beginning of May. I would prefer a furnished appartment, but is it a common practice here?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discovery Gardens, Dubai Marina/JBR and JLT are close by and suitable for you. Look for those places. Discovery Gardens should be the cheapest but depends on your budget. I don't think Jebel Ali has residential areas, it's a commercial area.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Discovery Gardens, Dubai Marina/JBR and JLT are close by and suitable for you. Look for those places. Discovery Gardens should be the cheapest but depends on your budget. I don't think Jebel Ali has residential areas, it's a commercial area.
Thanks!
I am looking at these areas on dubizzle. Is there any other site that can assist me in finding an appartment?

·
Registered
858 Posts
propertyfinder.ae

It ain't 45 mins from any of those areas to central AD during rush hour count on 1h30 each way. An hour to yas/airport.

It is a MISERABLE commute so suggest you try it for a few weeks before signing a 1 year lease.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
propertyfinder.ae

It ain't 45 mins from any of those areas to central AD during rush hour count on 1h30 each way. An hour to yas/airport.

It is a MISERABLE commute so suggest you try it for a few weeks before signing a 1 year lease.
:mmph:

Ufffff
I am just reading online that there is some area behind Ibn Battuta mall- from there it takes 40 minutes to reach AD. Is it valid?

My question may be sound a bit weird, but what about the area in between Dubai and Abu Dhabi? There must be some houses , or its a desert? :rolleyes:

Thanks, JJim

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It is a desert.....and not a very pretty one at that.

Once on Sheikh Zayed/ E11 it's possible to get from the south end of Dubai to the bridges leading into Abu Dhabi in 45 minutes or so but that's assuming no traffic and on the weekends.

Rush hour is quite different. Frequent car accidents slow things down.

Plus you need to factor in the time to get onto Sheikh Zayed from your apartment. Discovery Gardens is infamous for its legendary traffic jams getting in/out during rush hours.

Then at the other end you need to factor in the time to get from Sheikh Zayed to your office. Downtown Abu Dhabi isn't free from traffic either.

:mmph:

Ufffff
I am just reading online that there is some area behind Ibn Battuta mall- from there it takes 40 minutes to reach AD. Is it valid?

My question may be sound a bit weird, but what about the area in between Dubai and Abu Dhabi? There must be some houses , or its a desert? :rolleyes:

Thanks, JJim

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you still consider Dubai in spite of the traffic, which indeed is no fun, you may check JLT in front of the Marina or the Green Community in Dubai Investment Park.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a desert.....and not a very pretty one at that.

Once on Sheikh Zayed/ E11 it's possible to get from the south end of Dubai to the bridges leading into Abu Dhabi in 45 minutes or so but that's assuming no traffic and on the weekends.

Rush hour is quite different. Frequent car accidents slow things down.

Plus you need to factor in the time to get onto Sheikh Zayed from your apartment. Discovery Gardens is infamous for its legendary traffic jams getting in/out during rush hours.

Then at the other end you need to factor in the time to get from Sheikh Zayed to your office. Downtown Abu Dhabi isn't free from traffic either.

TallyHo, :clap2:
u really gave me a nice summery of my everyday's journey! After reading ur post, I can say I am not THAT lost in orientation.

The other end is not problem, as my workplace is close to the entrance of AD. I guess that makes things easier somehow.
Ok, I am eliminating Discovery Gardens due to the heavy traffic.

According to my research so far, JLT seems like the best option - its the fastest way to AD.

Do u have any other suggestion, TallyHo?

I am just reading about the new Dubai Abu Dhabi road which will be in use from 2014. So, I guess I have no many options at the moment.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you still consider Dubai in spite of the traffic, which indeed is no fun, you may check JLT in front of the Marina or the Green Community in Dubai Investment Park.
Thanks, de Mexican. I didn't come across the Green Community, I will check it out now.

Regarding JLT, at the moment it looks like the best option.

Why they don't just build a few buildings in Jabel Ali? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
There are 2 sides to JLT as far as going to AUH is concerned; if you live in the northern side, i.e. from clusters O to X, exiting JLT will take some time. If you live in clusters G through N, going towards Abu Dhabi will be relatively easier.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Thanks, de Mexican. I didn't come across the Green Community, I will check it out now.

Regarding JLT, at the moment it looks like the best option.

Why they don't just build a few buildings in Jabel Ali? :rolleyes:
Even if they did, trust me, you wouldn't want to live there!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are 2 sides to JLT as far as going to AUH is concerned; if you live in the northern side, i.e. from clusters O to X, exiting JLT will take some time. If you live in clusters G through N, going towards Abu Dhabi will be relatively easier.
As soon as I move in, I think I should make a party for all of u guys that are helping me!

Thank u, Tropicana. This is very useful, but how can I know on which side is the appartment while reading the ads? U named it O X G N as an example, or the parts of JLT are called like that? :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even if they did, trust me, you wouldn't want to live there!
Why? Is it like the place where I just went to do my medicals? I don't know the name of the area, something with M and a lot of H and F, if remember correctly. The area is scary, so poor, not taken care of, all men there, I think they are all labourers, 100000 of eyes on me staring as if they never saw a white girl. Under normal circumstances, I would get angry, but I couldn't I felt so much pity for these people ... It's so sad.

And on my medical application was written VIP
I don't want to imagine where they would have sent me to do the medicals, if It was not VIP .... :frown:

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Why? Is it like the place where I just went to do my medicals? I don't know the name of the area, something with M and a lot of H and F, if remember correctly. The area is scary, so poor, not taken care of, all men there, I think they are all labourers, 100000 of eyes on me staring as if they never saw a white girl. Under normal circumstances, I would get angry, but I couldn't I felt so much pity for these people ... It's so sad.

And on my medical application was written VIP
I don't want to imagine where they would have sent me to do the medicals, if It was not VIP .... :frown:
Jebel Ali is just sand and warehouses.

As others have suggested, JLT or Marina are your best options, or Discovery Gardens if you're on a budget. The commute will still suck though, but many people who do it car pool with other colleagues who also live in Dubai.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I live in green community and worked in AD in 2010. My office was on reem island which was not in the city. Going to work in the morning was pleasant and took me about 50 mins despite the psychos on the road. Coming back was hell on earth. It took anything from 1 hr to 3 hrs depending on traffic and then the morning psychos were tired from work as well so much more dangerous on the roads. There were times I was really tired and would park at a petrol station to nap for 30 mins on the way back to Dubai. 6 months of it was all I could take before I hightailed it back to a job in Dubai. There are people who have been commuting for years and don't seem to mind it though. Perhaps stay in an hotel apartment for a month first and give it a trial before you commit to a 1 year lease like someone said above. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live in green community and worked in AD in 2010. My office was on reem island which was not in the city. Going to work in the morning was pleasant and took me about 50 mins despite the psychos on the road. Coming back was hell on earth. It took anything from 1 hr to 3 hrs depending on traffic and then the morning psychos were tired from work as well so much more dangerous on the roads. There were times I was really tired and would park at a petrol station to nap for 30 mins on the way back to Dubai. 6 months of it was all I could take before I hightailed it back to a job in Dubai. There are people who have been commuting for years and don't seem to mind it though. Perhaps stay in an hotel apartment for a month first and give it a trial before you commit to a 1 year lease like someone said above. Good luck.
Msbettyboopdxb , thank you for sharing your experience with me.
The thing is that my return hours will be pretty much flexible, so I guess if I start from AD at 3, I will be able to avoid the traffic. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding Green Community, I have looked it up earlier as someone advised me here, but I was not able to find any 1 bedroom appartment. :ranger:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Ad Reem, i believe the best option for you having in mind that you are working in AD and you obviously need the cheapest place to live is the investment park. Do a search for the dunes village, i remember it was around 30k there for 1 bd flat, kinda nice also, pool and everything.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Ad Reem, i believe the best option for you having in mind that you are working in AD and you obviously need the cheapest place to live is the investment park. Do a search for the dunes village, i remember it was around 30k there for 1 bd flat, kinda nice also, pool and everything.
Wow, I didn't even notice this place on the map!!!
Thank you, Vasilh m ! :)

I just checked, it is the same distance to AD as from the JLT!
But, is it safe? How is the neighborhood like?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts