Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most will already know, these must be written in Spanish.

Some owners or agents will also provide an English (or maybe other language) translation, for tenants who don't speak Spanish.

I've just checked over a pro-forma contract for my next home, & in the English version there are all sorts of little bits added in which are contrary to the LAU. The Spanish version is a standard long term contract. Since the Spanish version is the one which counts, & I've now pointed this out, it doesn't bother me.

I know this has been mentioned many times before - but PLEASE - if you don't speak Spanish, don't rely on a translation provided by an owner or agent.

I have been contacted by so many people over the years who believe what the English version of the contract says - & a lot of the clauses I've seen added are actually illegal.

·
Banned
81 Posts
As most will already know, these must be written in Spanish.

Some owners or agents will also provide an English (or maybe other language) translation, for tenants who don't speak Spanish.

I've just checked over a pro-forma contract for my next home, & in the English version there are all sorts of little bits added in which are contrary to the LAU. The Spanish version is a standard long term contract. Since the Spanish version is the one which counts, & I've now pointed this out, it doesn't bother me.

I know this has been mentioned many times before - but PLEASE - if you don't speak Spanish, don't rely on a translation provided by an owner or agent.

I have been contacted by so many people over the years who believe what the English version of the contract says - & a lot of the clauses I've seen added are actually illegal.
So do you only put your signature to the Spanish Contract?

·
Banned
81 Posts
Since only the Spanish one is 'legal', there's no real reason to sign any other version.
Yes, but was wondering if they actually requested you sigh BOTH as they had also produced an English copy and their reaction if that was the case to you declining to sign the English version.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, but was wondering if they actually requested you sigh BOTH as they had also produced an English copy and their reaction if that was the case to you declining to sign the English version.
Hmmm - no idea.

If it were me, I'd 'gently' explain the law...

Which is what I just did regarding the bits added into my new one ;)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
We're into Year 4 of our Five Year Contract. All in all we've lived in the house for almost nine years. Year 5 ends in January 2019.
Our landlord doesn't want other tenants when we leave and doesn't want to sell the house yet. It's on a double plot with permission to build on the 'field'. Houses round here go for 600k to a million euros for the house still as yet unfinished, to be inhabited by a famous Icelandic female singer. As these are a bit thin on the ground we're assuming it's Bjork. If she has included a recording studio in the house we're all hoping it's well soundproofed .

I think our landlord will be very happy to see us stay on. He has another property here as well as his puticlub and other business interests back home in Austria and he's more interested in chasing women than money.

Such a nice fellow is he that he allowed me to draft our current contract..in Spanish with bits of LAU we didn't like left out. He was happy with that. The house is let unfurnished and we do all repairs and replacements, as if it were our house and not just our home. We've replaced the washing machine, fridge freezer , dish washer and pool pump in the past year and were happy to do so as the rent we pay is probably half of what others in this area are paying for a property of this size.

It will be interesting to see what landlord Adelbert proposes in January 2019. We really like living here, it's quiet, lovely neighbours, very good location. We've no intention of paying more rent as the amount we spend on repairs etc represents a hefty increase. This month I've got to settle the alarm company bill of over 400 euros.
Well, I guess we're lucky and so is Adelbert in that we've found each other...Just hoping we can stay for as long as we like or until the house gets too big and we get too decrepit to manage it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts