Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an apartment for the last year and really wanted to stay a further 2 years as i have grown to love the area and the apartment. Today i was contacted by the agent who says my landlord is requesting another 100 euro per month if i want to keep it. A whopping 12.5% rise.

They have already advertised it on their website before i was asked, but at a further 150 a month. (950)

I had a 12 month contract but it does not say anything about renewal, which i should have checked from day one.

Do i have any ground legally or should i just get out a.s.a.p?

Cheers.

GB

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi Billy, You're facing an avaricious landlord and/or greedy agent. You're settled, your goodwill is apparently being taken for granted. Things have taken a slight turn for the good in Spain regarding well located property. So, some property owners think they are heading back to the luscious days of ten years ago when they thought they would never see a poor day.

Whatever way you look at this, you are being blackmailed. Pay up or go. Well, it is still a renters market in Spain. If you give in your rent will be increased again.

Wake up, smell the coffee, take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
If it's a 'proper', legal contract (12 months, in Spanish, doesn't mention not abiding by the LAU etc.), then you are legally allowed to stay for a further 2 years making a total of 3. (or 3 making a total of 4 - can't remember exactly)

The landlord is only allowed to increase the rent by the approved amount (I don't know exactly what that is but it can't be much in the current climate).

However, once the landlord starts down this route, then they might make life hard for you. So, it's your choice, dig your heels in and quote the law at him or find somewhere else.

·
Administrator
36,700 Posts
I have had an apartment for the last year and really wanted to stay a further 2 years as i have grown to love the area and the apartment. Today i was contacted by the agent who says my landlord is requesting another 100 euro per month if i want to keep it. A whopping 12.5% rise.

They have already advertised it on their website before i was asked, but at a further 150 a month. (950)

I had a 12 month contract but it does not say anything about renewal, which i should have checked from day one.

Do i have any ground legally or should i just get out a.s.a.p?

Cheers.

GB
your contract is automatically renewable unless it specifically states that it is outwith the LAU

the landlord can increase the rent, but only as much as 'inflation' which I'm sure isn't 12.5%

unless the landlord has made major improvements to the property in the past 12 months

·
Banned
97 Posts
tell the landlord to do the maths, he has with you a regular rental income for the foreseeable future, I take it your rent must be E800 for 12.5% to be E100 rise, let him know that the apartment only has to be empty for 1 month for it to take 8 months before he starts to gain off the rent increase, 2 months it would take 16 months to gain etc etc etc, if you feel confident enough you could always risk your arm and come back at him with this info and say that you are looking for a reduction of rent on account of you being willing to take out a long term contract, what could possibly happen????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts