Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Looks like I might be able to make the move within the next few months. I've decided to rent for a while just to make sure its what I really want.
Been looking on the net for places and I've found a nice flat in Denia through Kyreo this is their charges, one month returnable deposit, two months rent in advance and one month commission. Is this normal or excessive? Is there other agencies you would recommend?
TIA
Ray

·
Registered
383 Posts
Seems excessive to me. I have always rented privately with just I month deposit and 1 months rent. Look around a bit more.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Hi all
Looks like I might be able to make the move within the next few months. I've decided to rent for a while just to make sure its what I really want.
Been looking on the net for places and I've found a nice flat in Denia through Kyreo this is their charges, one month returnable deposit, two months rent in advance and one month commission. Is this normal or excessive? Is there other agencies you would recommend?
TIA
Ray
The law allows for two months returnable deposit for furnished & a month rent in advance.

Many agencies will charge a month commission

kyero isn't an agency, it's a website where many agents post properties. Take a look at our FAQ sticky thread & in the rental section you'll find links to other sites, where both private owners & agencies post

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Seems excessive to me. I have always rented privately with just I month deposit and 1 months rent. Look around a bit more.
There are several problems with going privately.

Who creates the contract and makes sure it follows the LAU?

Who makes sure that the fianza is lodged with the appropriate authorities?

Who takes an inventory - clearly the landlord AND the tenant can but an agent should always do this as part of their fee.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have never had an inventory taken but this works in my favor as the landlord cannot claim that things are damaged or missing. Luckily my daughter is a lawyer in Spain so she is always on the ball

·
Registered
169 Posts
The law allows for two months returnable deposit for furnished & a month rent in advance.
You know I was under the same impression. However, I read through the LAU and there is no provision on furnished and unfurnished, that I can find. There is language about commercial and residential where commercial is 2 months and residential is one month. There is also language about having the deposit held by a 3rd party rather than the landlord.

If you can point me in the direction where the language is about the 2 month deposit that would be great. The last change to the LAU I can find is March 2015.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Many agencies will charge a month commission

kyero isn't an agency, it's a website where many agents post properties. Take a look at our FAQ sticky thread & in the rental section you'll find links to other sites, where both private owners & agencies post
So it all seems fairly normal, going private would mean knowing the system really well and as a newbie that would be very difficult for me.
The flat has a six months lease which would give me the chance to get to know the system and find my feet

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
You know I was under the same impression. However, I read through the LAU and there is no provision on furnished and unfurnished, that I can find. There is language about commercial and residential where commercial is 2 months and residential is one month. There is also language about having the deposit held by a 3rd party rather than the landlord.

If you can point me in the direction where the language is about the 2 month deposit that would be great. The last change to the LAU I can find is March 2015.
You are correct, there is NOTHING in the LAU about the fianza being x for furnished or y for unfurnished.

It is, and should be, simply one month.

However, the norm on the Costa Blanca (not where I live) is that it is as @Xabiachica said.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
You're right - momentary brain freeze - iirc it was that way before the law change a few years ago

Yes, the law allows for a month deposit & a month rent upfront - but if you agree to more that's up to you & the owner/agent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts