Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to rent out my apartment and return to UK. The tenant renewed for a second year in it. Is it normal for the agent to charge one months rental each year upfront plus ten percent monthly?

·
Administrator
36,517 Posts
I have had to rent out my apartment and return to UK. The tenant renewed for a second year in it. Is it normal for the agent to charge one months rental each year upfront plus ten percent monthly?

does the agent manage the property for you in any way

·
Administrator
36,517 Posts
Yes he fully manages the property.
well obvioulsy he'd be charging a fee for managing the property - but legally, unless there are changes, there doesn't need to be a new contract for the tenant - it just 'rolls over' automatically - so there isn't really a need for a charge for that

a lot of agents just take a month rent per annum as their fee, some take a monthly %

there's no 'legal' amount, if that's what you wanted to know - it's just a business agreement between you & the agent

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The charge of a full months rent yearly plus 10 per cent monthly is unfortunately in the small print. Think I was so thankful for a tenant I just signed.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Are there such things as rent assessment panels in Spain?
Even if there are (and I think there may be), how would this affect the agent and what fees they charge?

I think the fees of 10% per month are UN-reasonable for managing the property given that there is probably nothing to do. Bills should be paid by the tenant - what else is there for a long let.

Charging a fee each year is also UN-reasonable given that by law the contract simply rolls over.

The problem as I see it is that these charges are in a contract signed by both parties - I can't see how this can be questioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts