Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to rent out my apartment and return to UK. The tenant renewed for a second year in it. Is it normal for the agent to charge one months rental each year upfront plus ten percent monthly?

·
Administrator
37,131 Posts
Yes he fully manages the property.
well obvioulsy he'd be charging a fee for managing the property - but legally, unless there are changes, there doesn't need to be a new contract for the tenant - it just 'rolls over' automatically - so there isn't really a need for a charge for that

a lot of agents just take a month rent per annum as their fee, some take a monthly %

there's no 'legal' amount, if that's what you wanted to know - it's just a business agreement between you & the agent

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Are there such things as rent assessment panels in Spain?
Even if there are (and I think there may be), how would this affect the agent and what fees they charge?

I think the fees of 10% per month are UN-reasonable for managing the property given that there is probably nothing to do. Bills should be paid by the tenant - what else is there for a long let.

Charging a fee each year is also UN-reasonable given that by law the contract simply rolls over.

The problem as I see it is that these charges are in a contract signed by both parties - I can't see how this can be questioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.