Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interesting one.

I have signed a tenancy contract and handed over 4 cheques made out to the owner.

The owner lives in KSA and cannot bank the cheques over there and has no bank account in Dubai. SHe does not have a POA here so wants me to make payment via EFT when the cheques are due and then hand back the cheques once payment is done.

Anyone else have a scenario like this?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
I have an interesting one.

I have signed a tenancy contract and handed over 4 cheques made out to the owner.

The owner lives in KSA and cannot bank the cheques over there and has no bank account in Dubai. SHe does not have a POA here so wants me to make payment via EFT when the cheques are due and then hand back the cheques once payment is done.

Anyone else have a scenario like this?
Hi,
If you wanted to be a bit awkward - then do nothing - as you have already fulfilled your part of the deal by giving the landlord the required cheques!
I would certainly not be happy to effectively risk paying twice - as you cannot cancel the cheques.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
If you wanted to be a bit awkward - then do nothing - as you have already fulfilled your part of the deal by giving the landlord the required cheques!
I would certainly not be happy to effectively risk paying twice - as you cannot cancel the cheques.
Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve, personally I don't feel comfortable. Will meet with the agent tomorrow and highlighting that contractually I have done everything as tenant and they either accept the cheques or give me another apartment with another owner.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't believe that a Saudi came here to Dubai, bought property, rented it and dealt with an agent, received the cheques and flew back to Saudi Arabia and doesn't have any accounts in Dubai.

Many possibilities, it could possibly be a fraud or they have their UAE account frozen or anything similar due to arrears.

I would ask them to send over the cheque, then you can make the EFT. It's them who are breaching the original agreement not you, why submit for what they want ?

I would never send a dirham.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts