Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi francophiles
Several (many) months ago my wife and I made an application to become French nationals.....We have submitted the forms, the certificates etc , and now have date for our interview (march next year).

Today much to our surprise we got a phone call from renseignements genereaux, asking us to attend another interview on Monday next. RG turns out to be the intelligence service of the French police

What can they want?

Ernie

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi francophiles
Several (many) months ago my wife and I made an application to become French nationals.....We have submitted the forms, the certificates etc , and now have date for our interview (march next year).

Today much to our surprise we got a phone call from renseignements genereaux, asking us to attend another interview on Monday next. RG turns out to be the intelligence service of the French police

What can they want?

Ernie
It's likely just a part of the process. I wouldn't be inclined to worry about it (unless you have a police record or some kind of link to terrorism, of course :D - and in case of the latter they would probably already have acted in some way )

·
Administrator
50,461 Posts
As EH says, it's a "normal" part of the process.

Each departement does these interviews in their own way - to find out what they need or want to know. When I got my nationality, a car from the gendarmerie cruised by the house one day. Odd, because we NEVER have gendarmes on our little street. Turns out they had dropped an "invitation" to an interview in my mailbox - for a date not all that far into the future (just a week or so). I think they were using that approach to "check" that I really live at the address I had given them.

Daughter of a friend of mine was invited to an interview at the gendarmerie, and at the end of the interview, the gendarme told her that he was supposed to follow her home and do a surprise "home inspection" on the spot. (Basically checking to see that both she and her French husband actually lived there.) She said he appeared to be embarrassed about the whole thing, but there seem to be a variety of different ways they check you out during the "investigation" period.

Just roll with it. They may even "change" your interview date to something a bit sooner if they are happy with the results of this little snap interview.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I suggest the following, useful in many such situations.

1. Assume they know EVERYTHING about you.....your bank, credit card transactions, what you ate for breakfast. Speeding fines.........everything..

2. Answer all questions politely and TOTALLY accurately. Use the min of words, don't embellish. Answer the precise question and no more.

3. SMILE. !! The interviewer has a job to do.....his boss told him to do it. Be happy to be there consistent with no2 above.

good luck!

DejW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts