Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about renovating the cost of living sticky (with apologies to Stravinsky)??

It's over a year old and as we know things have changed here in Spain and all

over!! As we have people from all over Spain on the forum we should be able to

compare prices in a wide range of areas, but if we try to look at too many things

it'll get too complicated and people won't have time to do it. I propose looking at

a few basic items with brand names to make the comparison easier. For example

1l Lauki ordinary milk

1 pkt Bonka ground coffee

1 pkt Fonteneda digestive biscuits

1 doz eggs

1 baguette

6 pack Mahou beer

What do you think? Too complicated??

·
Administrator
36,516 Posts
How about renovating the cost of living sticky (with apologies to Stravinsky)??

It's over a year old and as we know things have changed here in Spain and all

over!! As we have people from all over Spain on the forum we should be able to

compare prices in a wide range of areas, but if we try to look at too many things

it'll get too complicated and people won't have time to do it. I propose looking at

a few basic items with brand names to make the comparison easier. For example

1l Lauki ordinary milk

1 pkt Bonka ground coffee

1 pkt Fonteneda digestive biscuits

1 doz eggs

1 baguette

6 pack Mahou beer

What do you think? Too complicated??

funny that - I was thinking much the same myself

maybe we should include some supermarket 'own brands' too?

have we all got a mercadona?

maybe unit costs for gas, leccy & water too?

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
funny that - I was thinking much the same myself

maybe we should include some supermarket 'own brands' too?

have we all got a mercadona?

maybe unit costs for gas, leccy & water too?
I have a Mercadona nearish, but much prefer Alcampo. I think Mercadona is probably the best choice though as there seem to be loads south of Madrid. What about the north?
Definitely need info about other stuff too, tv's, computers, house prices, renting etc, but it gets a bit diff to handle all the info.
Another thing. I think we should steer clear of offers, just give the real price.
Is that the TIME!! gotta go!

·
Administrator
36,516 Posts
I have a Mercadona nearish, but much prefer Alcampo. I think Mercadona is probably the best choice though as there seem to be loads south of Madrid. What about the north?
Definitely need info about other stuff too, tv's, computers, house prices, renting etc, but it gets a bit diff to handle all the info.
Another thing. I think we should steer clear of offers, just give the real price.
Is that the TIME!! gotta go!
we don't have Alcampo - or that brand of milk you mentioned

I think rental prces might be hard since they vary so much area to area

Strav only lives just over half an hour from me, but rentals are so much cheaper there

if it wasn't for my students we'd be more than tempted to move there

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Maybe we could combine this with UK prices too!? The only problem is the branding whereby Mahou and Bonka are bound to be more expensive. It could be done say with Tesco's own brand and mercadonnas or are people not really interested?!

·
Administrator
36,516 Posts
Maybe we could combine this with UK prices too!? The only problem is the branding whereby Mahou and Bonka are bound to be more expensive. It could be done say with Tesco's own brand and mercadonnas or are people not really interested?!
I'd be interested in a comparison like that - with the caveat that I think Mercadona's own brand is vastly superior to the 'value' Tesco stuff iirc

do Tesco have a 'mid range' own brand - I seem to remember they used have an 'upmarket' one?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'd be interested in a comparison like that - with the caveat that I think Mercadona's own brand is vastly superior to the 'value' Tesco stuff iirc

do Tesco have a 'mid range' own brand - I seem to remember they used have an 'upmarket' one?
Yes I think they do have a mid range product. Is there anyone based in the UK willing to do this for us?? I suppose it doesn't have to be Tesco's as long as it's a major supermarket chain like Mercadonna.

·
Administrator
36,516 Posts
Yes I think they do have a mid range product. Is there anyone based in the UK willing to do this for us?? I suppose it doesn't have to be Tesco's as long as it's a major supermarket chain like Mercadonna.
someone must be able to get onto their online thingy?!

I tried a while ago but they wanted phone numbers & things I couldn't lie about easily

not that I lie easily, you understand.....................

·
Registered
35 Posts
someone must be able to get onto their online thingy?!

I tried a while ago but they wanted phone numbers & things I couldn't lie about easily

not that I lie easily, you understand.....................
I use tesco online all the time so i can do you a comparison on spanish prices to english,just let me know which items to compare.

kind regards
paul iow[vanessa]

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we don't have Alcampo - or that brand of milk you mentioned

I think rental prces might be hard since they vary so much area to area

Strav only lives just over half an hour from me, but rentals are so much cheaper there

if it wasn't for my students we'd be more than tempted to move there
The idea for rental prices was to compare how much they vary. If we looked at a two bedroomed flat for example I could say how much one was in the centre of Madrid near a metro station and one in the centre of Galapagar a town 30km out of Madrid that many people commute from.

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not following you here Maggie. I mean using the same brands in Spain to make sure the comparison is only taking into account the area that you live in, not the product you buy. If we compare with a UK supermarket it'll have to be a similar product - ground coffee from Nestle or Kenko for example...

PS How's it going!!?? Are you "vaporising"?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm not following you here Maggie. I mean using the same brands in Spain to make sure the comparison is only taking into account the area that you live in, not the product you buy. If we compare with a UK supermarket it'll have to be a similar product - ground coffee from Nestle or Kenko for example...

PS How's it going!!?? Are you "vaporising"?
Hi PW. yes I meant a simular product. Someone else mentiones Bonka and Mahou.

I'm fine. On my second day now and feeling OK. Don';t think much about ciggies at the mo but I know the craving is going to get worse so I will just stick the vaporizer in me gob and suck hard on it...lol. :baby: Haven't heard from JK so I don't know how he's doing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cost at Tesco[iow]

Hovis sliced white loaf 800G £1.10 or 3 for £2.50
Tesco value loaf 800G 47p each

Eggs box of 10 £2.00

Named brand chedder 400g £4.41
Tesco chedder 250g £ 2.47

Nescafe gold blend 100gm £2.62
Tesco gold blend 100gm £1.39

Tesco milk 2litres £1.59

Tesco Digestive biscuites 500gm 52p
Named brand 500gm £1.47

Wine 75cl £3.99

Tesco/value bacon 500gm £1.79[adverage good bacon £2.80 FOR 500GM.

Beef roasting joint £6.00kg
Lamb joint £6.00kg[
Pork joint £5.98kg
Large Chicken £2.79kg[max price £8.37
ALL THESE MEAT PRICES ARE ADVERAGE QUALITY MEATS.

Hope this is helpful

paul iow[vanessa]

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Cost at Tesco[iow]

Hovis sliced white loaf 800G £1.10 or 3 for £2.50
Tesco value loaf 800G 47p each

Eggs box of 10 £2.00

Named brand chedder 400g £4.41
Tesco chedder 250g £ 2.47

Tesco milk 2litres £1.59

Named brand 500gm £1.47

Wine 75cl £3.99

Lamb joint £6.00kg[
Pork joint £5.98kg
Large Chicken £2.79kg[max price £8.37

Hope this is helpful

paul iow[vanessa]
Thanks Vanessa! It'll be interesting to compare the prices!

·
Registered
64 Posts
hej Pesky,...If you could get that information up within the next month, I think you'd be entitled to a hand delivered bottle of Veuve Cliquot. The information your talking about is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Cheers and hope all is well
Rich

·
Registered
527 Posts
This is an interesting post.
I think that some items such as rents & rates are too subjective to be included in a COLI (cost of living index) since one would have to take too many factors into account eg living area, number of rooms, pool (or not), village, town etc.
Maybe one could quote prices of goods 'per 100 gm' or '100 ml' - that would make for ease of comparison.
Does everyone have access to Excel? If so then I could creat a spreadsheet with all the information. If not, then one can download a free open office version.

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hej Pesky,...If you could get that information up within the next month, I think you'd be entitled to a hand delivered bottle of Veuve Cliquot. The information your talking about is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Cheers and hope all is well
Rich
Haha.
I don't know what it is, but it sounds good!
I'd like to get this going (well somebody has already posted uk prices for some things) but I'm spending far too much time here! :ranger:I started an intensive course on Monday for two weeks and my other clients are starting up bit by bit after the holidays and I've got 5 doors to varnish, and my mother in law's here!!
:eek::D:eek::D

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is an interesting post.
I think that some items such as rents & rates are too subjective to be included in a COLI (cost of living index) since one would have to take too many factors into account eg living area, number of rooms, pool (or not), village, town etc.
Maybe one could quote prices of goods 'per 100 gm' or '100 ml' - that would make for ease of comparison.
Does everyone have access to Excel? If so then I could creat a spreadsheet with all the information. If not, then one can download a free open office version.
I have access to excel, but just writing the words are an effort for me!! But it would be REALLY good if you or someone else could do it. I agree that to make this as comparable as poss we should quote per litre or whatever. Perhaps including property is a bit too ambitious. Is just that I know people want to know!
When I have time I'll go to Mercadona, probably before the weekend.
Posters from the North we could do with your info too. Then you'll have the satisfaction of confirming that everything is cheaper up your way. (I have to say MIL had just gone to the hairdressers here cos it's cheaper than in Bilbao and so are veggies etc. However she lives in a "good" area in the city and we live in a normal area out of the city...)

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cost at Tesco[iow]

Tesco milk 2litres £1.59

Named brand 500gm £1.47

Lamb joint £6.00kg[

Hope this is helpful

paul iow[vanessa]
That's a good way of doing it!!

·
Administrator
36,516 Posts
That's a good way of doing it!!
mercadona today - euros obviously

fresh trimmed chicken breast from the butchery counter - 5.29 /kilo

olive oil/litre - 2.55

12 large eggs - 1.20

own brand digestives - 800g - 1.49

nectarines - loose 1.49/kilo (89c for 4)

lemons - loose 1.95/kilo (1.12 for 3)

non-stick rice (not Uncle Bens:D) 1kg bag - 1.05

semi-skimmed milk (not fresh milk) - pk 4 x 1 lt - 2.20

own brand 'special k' - 1.75

own brand 'coco pops' - 1.40

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.