Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in France since 2008 as a "salarie en mission." I work for a French employer which is a unit of an American company, and I have a French labor contract which is CDI.
When I arrived in 2008 I got a 3-year carte de sejour, which was renewed in 2011. I also got an "autorisation de travail" in 2008 which was renewed in 2011. My question is ... I want to renew my carte de sejour, but when I look at the "autorisation de travail" it only seems to allow for one renewal only. Is that correct? And if so, how could I continue to work in France?

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I'm not sure how the autorisation de travail works, but if you are working for the French unit of an American employer, have you been paying into the French cotisation system, or have you been "exempted" so that you remain on the American benefits plans? This may have quite a bit to do with the renewability of your autorisation de travail. (Because I think the exemption from the French cotisation system can only last for 5 years max.)

Have you asked your employer about your status? I would think that they would be the ones to request an autorisation de travail for you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, to answer your question, I have a French labor contract and am paying into the French social system (and of course paying French taxes)
My employer is being somewhat evasive ... they are saying there is a "problem" with renewing my carte de sejour but aren't saying what it is. I am worried they might use this an excuse to terminate my contract without the usual protections that come with a CDI. I am trying to inform myself as much as possible, so that I can respond to whatever they say.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
This is what I can find officially on the autorisation de travail: L'embauche d'un étranger

It doesn't actually say anything about the salarié en mission status per se, but it does indicate that non-EU nationals are subject to the same rights and protections under French labor law as anyone else.

You might want to wander by your prefecture and ask them what they'll require for you to renew your carte de séjour.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.