Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My 5yr ancestry visa expires in November and I'm looking to renew it. I understand that I am required to complete the FLR(IR). Is that correct?

The FLR(IR) asks for original copies of birth certificates of my parent and grandparent (as well as my own). Do I really need these? Given I'm RENEWING my visa, it seems silly to have to prove ancestry again if it's already been proven when the original visa was granted!?

I believe I also need to pay the Healthcare surcharge of £200/year (£1000) ?

And get a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)? Do I need to do the BRP before applying for the new visa ?

Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Yes, you'll need to show ancestry documents again, and pay the IHS . It sounds silly to have to re-prove ancestry, but spouses of British citizens need to provide their marriage certificate every time they renew their visas... It's just what is required

You don't need a BRP to apply if you don't have one already, but you'll receive one when your application is successful

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Thanks for your prompt response and advice. That's very helpful. To clarify, there is nothing I need to do in terms of the BRP? Just complete the FLR(IR), send in along with the birth certificates and pay the healthcare surcharge? Is it worth me having my employer write a letter for me? Or not necessary? I see you can also use the premium service but I'd rather save the £500 extra that it costs! Any other tips/advice very welcome!!

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Nothing you need to do for the BRP - You'll notice in the application form that it is also an application for a BRP, which for many people applying for FLR will be their first

An employer's letter isn't necessary but doesn't hurt either, as the ancestry visa is a work visa and you are expected to be employed. You could also send in your employment contract and a recent payslip to show you're currently working, the evidence required for this visa isn't extensive or strict

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having trouble getting my mothers birth certificate from Births, Deaths and marriages. She is now passed and it asks for her permission!? I'm wondering if I can use a death certificate instead. Do you know?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.