Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to relocate my family to Spain next year.

My company requires everyone to be in the office in London every other week for 3 days. So I think I can manage to fly to the UK for those days.

I would like to hear if somebody is doing this. I'm not interested in arguments about how this will be very difficult because of work permits, double taxation, and legal issues. I have researched and taken care of these things.

I'm interested to hear if somebody is actually doing this. I guess being away from my family will be nicely compensated by the much better lifestyle that they'll get in Spain...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm planning to relocate my family to Spain next year.

My company requires everyone to be in the office in London every other week for 3 days. So I think I can manage to fly to the UK for those days.

I would like to hear if somebody is doing this. I'm not interested in arguments about how this will be very difficult because of work permits, double taxation, and legal issues. I have researched and taken care of these things.

I'm interested to hear if somebody is actually doing this. I guess being away from my family will be nicely compensated by the much better lifestyle that they'll get in Spain...
Rather a bolshy way to expect a pleasant response.......

Steve

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I doubt there are many who commute to uk on this forum. Of course its possible but it will take a bit longer that pre-Brexit days and no doubt prices will be higher not to mention environmental responsibilities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I moved out to Spain in 2017 with the exact same plan. Thought it would be easy and I only had to fly back every 6 weeks. Never happened, then covid struck and I was over 2 years before getting back to the office.
So make sure you have a friendly boss and a good webcam and you'll be alright

Speaking as someone in the same boat, flying back every other week seems somewhat un-realistic to me. Maybe in the winter when flights are cheap, but it will sting in the summer when you must fly and few seats are available. I probably went back 9-10 times one year..... got very tiring with the agg of the airports and all that.
The bit affecting me now is the cost of car hire in the uk, 300-400 for a long weekend from a quality supplier at the moment for london airports

·
Administrator
37,138 Posts
I doubt there are many who commute to uk on this forum. Of course its possible but it will take a bit longer that pre-Brexit days and no doubt prices will be higher not to mention environmental responsibilities.
There used to be quite a few, several years ago, & I also personally knew people who did it, but eventually they gave up.

One couple I know split up :(

Anyone coming now with a British passport won't be able to do it of course, unless they get a Golden Visa.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I have mentioned before that my wife was close to doing this but we found it impossible to do legally. I acknowledge that the OP doesn't want to discuss legalities but if I'm honest I'm quite glad it didn't work out, it seemed to be a recipe for stress.

That said, if we could find a way to make it work, a UK salary in Spain would be quite nice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have mentioned before that my wife was close to doing this but we found it impossible to do legally. I acknowledge that the OP doesn't want to discuss legalities but if I'm honest I'm quite glad it didn't work out, it seemed to be a recipe for stress.

That said, if we could find a way to make it work, a UK salary in Spain would be quite nice!
I havent had an issue with any legalities. I file my uk payslips with my spanish accountant, pay my taxes in spain all above board. And hmrc in the uk were helpful and gave me a zero rated tax code for my paye, I also continue to pay my national insurance in case i move back one day

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I havent had an issue with any legalities. I file my uk payslips with my spanish accountant, pay my taxes in spain all above board. And hmrc in the uk were helpful and gave me a zero rated tax code for my paye, I also continue to pay my national insurance in case i move back one day
I think you are doing it as well as you possibly can to protect yourself legally, this is exactly what I (or rather my wife) would do.
However the Spanish tax man has been known to go after foreign companies with employees tax resident in Spain claiming that they have created a Permanent Establishment in Spain and therefore are liable for corporate taxes. It's an arduous process to prove them wrong, so many companies simply avoid the risk by refusing this solution to their employees.

What really put us off as potential employees though was that, as far as we could find out, there is no way to make voluntary contribution to the Spanish SS when you are a tax resident, so all medical and pension cover in Spain have to be privately arranged.

Have you found a better way around that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you are doing it as well as you possibly can to protect yourself legally, this is exactly what I (or rather my wife) would do.
However the Spanish tax man has been known to go after foreign companies with employees tax resident in Spain claiming that they have created a Permanent Establishment in Spain and therefore are liable for corporate taxes. It's an arduous process to prove them wrong, so many companies simply avoid the risk by refusing this solution to their employees.

What really put us off as potential employees though was that, as far as we could find out, there is no way to make voluntary contribution to the Spanish SS when you are a tax resident, so all medical and pension cover in Spain have to be privately arranged.

Have you found a better way around that?
Nope, sadly I will not get any benefits or medical cover here. I pay private health and do a private pension.

I did hear some horror stories about what you mention, my company were very happy for me to become self employed and I could register as autonomo here. But my accountant assured me I will be fine, no reason to doubt as they handle a ton of brits and a few in my situation that were 'flying under the radar' so to speak until brexit and then had to go legit.
It's been a good few years and had no issues, apart from getting bored with the travel back and forth meaning the gaps between visits getting larger

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Nope, sadly I will not get any benefits or medical cover here. I pay private health and do a private pension.

I did hear some horror stories about what you mention, my company were very happy for me to become self employed and I could register as autonomo here. But my accountant assured me I will be fine, no reason to doubt as they handle a ton of brits and a few in my situation that were 'flying under the radar' so to speak until brexit and then had to go legit.
It's been a good few years and had no issues, apart from getting bored with the travel back and forth meaning the gaps between visits getting larger
Thanks a lot for that, it's nice to finally hear from someone who has made it work. I hope it helps to OP also!

Sorry for getting into the legalities!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I acknowledge that the OP doesn't want to discuss legalities but if I'm honest I'm quite glad it didn't work out, it seemed to be a recipe for stress.
The reason I didn't want to go into the legal stuff, was just to avoid all those negative comments from disenchanted & envious Brits (see one above). I'm personally not affected by this Brexit c.rap as I have an EU passport + permanent right to stay& work in the UK.

I wanted to hear mostly how this would affect my lifestyle. But from what I hear from other people, it's doable as long as I don't have to go to the UK very often.

It's such a big difference in lifestyles between the UK and Spain. I live in one of the most affluent parts of the UK (Maidenhead), so I have a good point of comparison I guess. Here, for £350,000 all I can buy is a 2 bedroom damp shoebox with no more than 80sqm. For the same money, I can buy a nice house in Estepona with over 150sqm!

And I don't even want to start on the miserable weather, the crappy and hugely overpriced public transportation, the crowds everywhere...

Yes, the UK is not the best country to live in. And if I have to chance to earn my money here, and spend it in Spain, yes I will do it.

·
Administrator
37,138 Posts
The reason I didn't want to go into the legal stuff, was just to avoid all those negative comments from disenchanted & envious Brits (see one above)...
I see no negative comments nor envious or disenchanted Brits.

Those of us on this forum who have lived here long term have nothing to be envious about, including the member you quoted.

That said, life in Spain isn't a bed of roses for those of us who work.

Weather can be dreadful, working conditions dreadful, crowds dreadful - just like anywhere else.

Basically it's same sh+t different shovel.

That said, after nearly 19 years here, I wouldn't live anywhere else. However my rose tinted specs broke a looong time ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see no negative comments nor envious or disenchanted Brits.
Well, my friend, I'm of a different opinion. Maybe it's the fact that I currently live in the UK and hear more often what they say? Anyway, as I said Brexit doesn't affect me in any way. But I can't imagine that they don't feel s.crewed when all of a sudden they have to go in a different queue where they wait 3 hours, while I can whizz by. Or the fact that I don't need any visas to live and work in Spain...Anyway, their choice.

Regarding the tinted specs, it will be interesting to explain why around 100,000 Spanish people moved to the UK, while over 300,000 Brits went to live in Spain.

·
Administrator
37,138 Posts
Well, my friend, I'm of a different opinion. Maybe it's the fact that I currently live in the UK and hear more often what they say? Anyway, as I said Brexit doesn't affect me in any way. But I can't imagine that they don't feel s.crewed when all of a sudden they have to go in a different queue where they wait 3 hours, while I can whizz by. Or the fact that I don't need any visas to live and work in Spain...Anyway, their choice.

Regarding the tinted specs, it will be interesting to explain why around 100,000 Spanish people moved to the UK, while over 300,000 Brits went to live in Spain.
You're definitely one of the lucky ones with an EU passport, so it's easy for you to move to Spain.

Remember, those of us who already lived here before Brexit don't need a visa to live & work here either. It's business as usual for us, so we have nothing to be jealous about.

My daughter, British citizen but with permanent residency in Spain having grown up here, is currently living & working in London. Her Spanish friends who traditionally moved to the UK for a year or so for experience no longer can.

She loves her job, & there are certainly a lot more work opportunities there, but she has no intention of making it a permanent move. She'll return to Spain in a few years with the experience she gains there, that she would have little chance of gaining in Spain.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Just to be clear, the legalities of the Permanent Establishment, taxation and social security contributions have not changed since Brexit and are applicable to anyone employed in the UK and tax resident of Spain regardless of their nationality.

As to being labelled a disenchanted and envious Brit... well, maybe you've got a point! Nearly 20 years on a Spanish salary takes it toll you know!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I think the OP clearly has advantages being an EU member but they are asking if anyone is or has done every second week communting. One thing I think that is important is that people who do this constantly are business travellers and the whole thing is organised and paid for by the company. It is a completely different experience to travelling on a tourist flight. I had a friend who worked between Paris and Edinburgh but he flew on major airlines and had everything arranged for him. He didn't have to do anything except turn up at the airport where he had access to business lounge etc. Is the OP meaning this type of travel or flying on a cheap tourist flight doing everything themselves. Surely that is going to be pretty miserable- waiting in airport terminals, buying expensive coffees, drinks, plastic chairs, squashed into small seats next to sandwich chomping sun-seekers, delays umfffff. Okay maybe a few times a year but every other week? That is going to become pretty tough, no?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts