Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to Dubai from the UK in August, when my wife takes up her new job, and I'm currently trying to presuade my UK employer that I can successfully and easily work remotely from Dubai.

My questions, I guess, are:
1) is there anyone currently doing this?
2) what are the UAE internet connections like and would they support a remote connection back to the UK on a daily basis?
3) what is the UK tax situation?

I think it would be easy to do as all I need is a telephone and web connection to keep in touch with the UK office but it would be interesting to see if others are doing it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think the situation is a bit more complicated that you are making it out to be. First off, how is your visa going to be setup? If your wife sponsors you, then officially I do not believe you are allowed to work in the UAE, even it if it is remote (whether you would be caught is a different question).

At least in the USA in that situation your income is not foreign earned. You are working for a UK company and paid in the UK. The fact that you are physically located elsewhere does not really make a difference.

Logistics are not going to be an issue, internet speed is fine. More than adequate bandwidth to run remote desktop to your UK location and file copy would be fine for documents.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You could setup your own company in the UAE and have your old company pay you as a third party consultant. I have heard the setup can be as cheap as 4,500 GBP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's really interesting. The visa issue is confusing, it seems to pertain to actual work in UAE but would remote working fall in to that category, as the work is not in UAE and I'm just physically there? The official websites are quite difficult to follow and find out information on, are there other information sources on this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm really interested in this post too, I'm in the same situation as you JamMan. My husband is moving to Dubai in July and I plan to follow in August. I ideally would like to continue working for the UK company I currently work for, and who have agreed for me to do so, but I just on't know about the implications on having a spouse visa and if this is allowed?

Can anyone give us any advice/help?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
At least in the USA in that situation your income is not foreign earned. You are working for a UK company and paid in the UK. The fact that you are physically located elsewhere does not really make a difference.

You sure? The last time I did this I claimed "physical presence", worked for a US company and was paid to a US bank and was tax exempt. The work being done would be in Dubai, not the US.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi JamMan
Have you had any success with getting an answer as to whether or not you're able to work remotely? I'm really interested in hearing.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I'm moving to Dubai from the UK in August, when my wife takes up her new job, and I'm currently trying to presuade my UK employer that I can successfully and easily work remotely from Dubai.

My questions, I guess, are:
1) is there anyone currently doing this?
2) what are the UAE internet connections like and would they support a remote connection back to the UK on a daily basis?
3) what is the UK tax situation?

I think it would be easy to do as all I need is a telephone and web connection to keep in touch with the UK office but it would be interesting to see if others are doing it.
I did this myself when I first moved to Dubai many years ago, so it is possible.

Internet is fine, just pay for decent bandwidth.

Tax wise - provided the work is carried out outside of the UK, you can be deemed UK non-resident (subject to standard conditions) and be paid offshore. It's best that you are a contractor (so effectively self-employed) and invoice them for payment so it can be paid gross.

There is the issue of a residency visa, but if your wife is in a decent paying job, then she can sponsor you. Her company PRO should be able to sort that out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

I am using ISL Online for Remote Access and Teamhangout for meetings and it works fine.

Sometimes I have some issus with internet, but you can't do a lot regarding that and I have noticed that if someone calls me on my mobile phone here is ok, but if he calls me on the home phone the sound becomes horrible... :( Anyway, it works ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Macek,

That's really helpful and I'll check out Team Hangout. I've been looking at Join Me and LogMeIn to see if they can work easily but some of their services are paid for.

jamMan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Elphaba, I've been checking out Etisalat and will get the best possible intenet I can from them.

On the UK tax side, I've sent HMRC a P85 form so I can be deemed a non-resident and earn with no UK tax deductions; so far it seems relatively simple but I'll have to see how it goes over the first few months.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you guys also have problems when calling from/to UAE from/to EU? The sound is terrible. Slightly better is when using cellular phone instead of the wired one... using videoconferencing is OK for meetings/discussions but not for e.g. just arranging a meeting... :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
jamMan said:
Thanks Elphaba, I've been checking out Etisalat and will get the best possible intenet I can from them.

On the UK tax side, I've sent HMRC a P85 form so I can be deemed a non-resident and earn with no UK tax deductions; so far it seems relatively simple but I'll have to see how it goes over the first few months.
I don't think you can be paid by a UK company and not pay tax. Isn't there a section on the form which asks are you going to be carrying out work for a UK company?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Couple of Alternatives

Apart ISL Online and Teamhangout is also any other option for budget calling in a classical way?
Skype is what I use, best option IMHO, clearer and much more cost effective. Trying to call a landline from Skype is blocked here in the UAE, unless you live in Dubai internet city. For team meetings/conferences look into TeamViewer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Skype is what I use, best option IMHO, clearer and much more cost effective. Trying to call a landline from Skype is blocked here in the UAE, unless you live in Dubai internet city. For team meetings/conferences look into TeamViewer.
Thnx saraswat. I agree regarding Skype, but the issue is exactly landline call and I am not in DIC :( Do you know any other solution?

Regarding online meetings I have used TeamViewer, but you can't neither import any slides, powerpoints etc, so for that basic kind of usage is Skype much better, for online meetings I still prefer ISL Online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think you can be paid by a UK company and not pay tax. Isn't there a section on the form which asks are you going to be carrying out work for a UK company?
Hi Suzimack,

I've had this confirmed by HMRC and they have advised my UK company of new tax codes, so I'm now being treated as a non-resident and with a subsequent increase in net pay, :). The form to complete is a P85.

The only provisio is that I'm still paying UK national insurance for the time when I go back to the UK.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Thnx saraswat. I agree regarding Skype, but the issue is exactly landline call and I am not in DIC :( Do you know any other solution?

Regarding online meetings I have used TeamViewer, but you can't neither import any slides, powerpoints etc, so for that basic kind of usage is Skype much better, for online meetings I still prefer ISL Online.
Check your private message inbox.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could you provide me any link with more info?

Thnx!

Hi Suzimack,

I've had this confirmed by HMRC and they have advised my UK company of new tax codes, so I'm now being treated as a non-resident and with a subsequent increase in net pay, :). The form to complete is a P85.

The only provisio is that I'm still paying UK national insurance for the time when I go back to the UK.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts