Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the forum and I am looking for advice regarding relocation to Dubai. I am mainly interested in the job opportunities as my partner has recently signed a full time contract that will keep her out in Dubai for the foreseeable.

I have various trades and experience including 8 years working within gas operations which involved has involved being a gas engineer, and manager.
I am currently a Area Manager for the leading utility company in the UK within their emergency gas operations department. I have various qualifications relating the gas operations, safety including IOSH and also Mechanical Engineering Diploma. Due to the nature of my current role and previous l roles I also have extensive experience relating to highway infrastructure and traffic management and currently hold relevant NRSWA qualifications in the UK. I am also working towards becoming a chartered manager and should be chartered within 12-18months.

I have looked for work all the obvious ways including job sites, recruitment agencies, contacting companies directly and also calling companies I believe fits my knowledge and experience. I don't seem to be getting anywhere at the moment and am looking for any advice and guidance anyone can provide me with in how to progress with my relocation to Dubai?

Thank for advice in advance.

Elliott Jones

·
Registered
399 Posts
Gas Engineers struggle to find work here as there isn't much need for them
What sort of roles are you applying for? Recruitment at present is very slow due to the Summer months ( Everyone goes away in July/August and the schools break up soon) and because of the oil and gas price decline. Applying from overseas is always problematic as they are so many people residing in Dubai who are actively seeking work and being local is far more cost effective than an overseas candidate. Recruitment agencies will not contact you unless they have a role to discuss. Over here they work for clients not candidates ( As the UK does) and rarely will clients look at international candidates unless the role is very senior. You are competing with many different people who speak many different languages and command smaller salaries.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts