Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my husband has been given the opportunity of moving to tampa with work. they are increasing his salary to $160000 per year and sorting visas for him and myself. what i need to know is the following:-

1. is this salary enough to rent a furnished 2-3br accommodation that includes utilities
2. is it difficult to lease a decent car without a credit history
3. any recommended areas to live in the tampa area.
4. how much could we expect to pay for car and health insurance
5. how much would we pay for home insurance.

thank you

· Registered
8,393 Posts
1. Yes
2. No, but you'll pay through the nose
3. Don't know
4. All according to what car you get and it will be expensive as you'll be regarded as a new driver. Couple of thousand per annum to start with?
Your company is providing health insurance is it not? Ask them how much the premiums will be.
5. You'll be paying renters insurance - it's not too expensive. Google renters insurance.

· Registered
6,474 Posts
Rent: 3 bedroom furnished and utilities will run you a pretty penny. Be prepared for several months deposit.
Location: Miami is large and traffic is horrible. What kind of commute is your husband willing to accept?
Leasing: Without US credit and driving history your options will be limited. You may want to check with the employer if there is an existing relationship with a car dealer.
Health insurance: Please check with the US employer. If this is not part of the offer package - run, do not walk!
Renters insurance - Contact a local insurance broker. Broker not agent!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rent: 3 bedroom furnished and utilities will run you a pretty penny. Be prepared for several months deposit.
Location: Miami is large and traffic is horrible. What kind of commute is your husband willing to accept?
Leasing: Without US credit and driving history your options will be limited. You may want to check with the employer if there is an existing relationship with a car dealer.
Health insurance: Please check with the US employer. If this is not part of the offer package - run, do not walk!
Renters insurance - Contact a local insurance broker. Broker not agent!
1. We've got a budget if around 2700 per month including utilities
2. It's Tampa and we're allowing around 45minute commute time
3. Oh that's a good idea. Will look into that.
4. Will definitely make sure we have a we similar package
5. What's the difference

· Registered
6,474 Posts
Furnished plus utilities for 3 br in Tampa for 2700 is not likely. Will you bring a school aged child?

Agent = basically a go-for/sales person. Broker = licensed, manages agents.

Medical: have a clear understanding of your option. What is covered, what are deductibles, what are copays, ... . Grill HR and go through the small print with with a fine toothed comb.

Commute: Look at traffic maps, talk to potential coworkers in market. 45 minutes may be under five miles.

· Registered
8,393 Posts
Furnished plus utilities for 3 br in Tampa for 2700 is not likely. Will you bring a school aged child?

Looking on the web for 3 beds unfurnished in Tampa the average appears to start at around 3K. All depends on area and standard of apartment.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Agent = basically a go-for/sales person. Broker = licensed, manages agents.

Medical: have a clear understanding of your option. What is covered, what are deductibles, what are copays, ... . Grill HR and go through the small print with with a fine toothed comb.

Commute: Look at traffic maps, talk to potential coworkers in market. 45 minutes may be under five miles.
1. No school age kids that's why we are hoping to get an apartment in a complex for that price. We will have occasional visitors from UK
2. Is Tampa a nice place to live, we have heard varying reports and it's obviously a lot different holidaying there than living there.

· Registered
6,474 Posts
1. No school age kids that's why we are hoping to get an apartment in a complex for that price. We will have occasional visitors from UK
2. Is Tampa a nice place to live, we have heard varying reports and it's obviously a lot different holidaying there than living there.
Every place is a nice place - it depends on where you live and what your expectations are. You may want to start out using an extended stay hoel or corporate housing and explore a bit before committing to a lease. No US rental history will probably require at least first and last month's rent as deposit.

I looked at my utilities for a 3 br/1 office in small town USA. Water, power, gas, waste comes to roughly 1k. Have you spoken with future management/coworkers about housing options?

· Registered
1,941 Posts
I have found, over the years the simplest solution to no local rental history is that money talks regardless where you are. US, Australia, Thailand are all places I have been through this..
Whether it is an extra month in advance, or an up front payment of the first 2-3 months rent etc, cashflow is king for many property owners - it also mitigates risk related to loss of income due to the way eviction processes work in many jurisdictions.

Its been a long time since I have been in this position in the US, but if you are currently renting do get a written reference letter from your landlord / rental agency etc. Even though they may not be a position to validate it, so long as it is on company letterhead, with a wet ink signature, it will have some bearing and might help decision making in your favour.

· Registered
6,474 Posts
Moulard - money talks may have applied back in the day. Most apartment rentals are investment properties being managed by property management companies. Rules are set in stone. Deposits are not optional:>)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts