Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered a job in South West London and I plan to live nearby (probably Surrey or Middlesex). I've noticed that rents are really high in this areas... Is 38k/year a good salary for a family with one kid (3y)? (My wife will not be working for the first year...) The offer included up to 3k for relocation costs. Is this a good sum??? I live in Switzerland (Zurich) and would be moving with my wife and my son from a two bed appartment.
Can someone give me an idea of how much such a move might cost (i.e. for transfering the furniture)?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi,

What do you call high?

38000 is just about enough (of course there are people that live with far less, but I suppose you are used to a certain quality of life since you seem to have a professional career) .

You will be left with around £2300 per month without considering any possible tax benefits, which would up that a little bit.

Your utilities (gas, electricity, water, phone, broadband, cable TV) and other fixed costs (TV licence, council tax, service charge if you are renting a flat) can quickly add up (easily between £200 and £300 per month).

As for your grocery bill, you can check that yourself by checking any supermarket's website (Sainsburys, Tesco, etc).

I forgot your car! In the Surrey or Essex suburbs you are more likely to need a car (wife drops you at the train station, she keeps the car for all the many errands during the day, she pick you up in the evening, you use the car during the weekends to do your shopping and to go to entertainment venues). You will spend a bit more here (petrol is *very* expensive, at the moment is around £1 per litre).

The train .... You can buy a season ticket, it is expensive compared to the rest of Europe, something important is that you find a place with good train connections from where you live to your place of work. You could drive of course, but the traffic can be quite horrible, so be warned.

If you know where you will be based people could actually suggest places where to live. If you work in London, why not live in London? Many middle class families do, it would save you a lot in transport costs and if you are resourceful, it can be as cheap as anywhere else in the UK.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.