Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:DHi

just to tell people incase you dont know

reloction au on chanel 4 at 8 pm fri eve...
not been on forum for a bit so apols if duplicating another thread!:D

ttfn

Claire!

·
Registered
84 Posts
is this the Phil Spencer one?

I remember he was doing a series on buying property in Australia

another one for the Sky+

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
its going to be a regular series? haven't heard of the show before, so not sure.
Have you seen location location location with kirsty and ..... (cant rmbr his name) phil i think? well its similar only they go abroad with this series....prob not as good as wanted down under but worth a watch
yes its going to be a series tho im unsure how many episodes there will be

ive been watching the w d unders and find the cost of living figures scary! more the electric bills than anything, they are shocking!:eek:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Have you seen location location location with kirsty and ..... (cant rmbr his name) phil i think? well its similar only they go abroad with this series....prob not as good as wanted down under but worth a watch
yes its going to be a series tho im unsure how many episodes there will be

ive been watching the w d unders and find the cost of living figures scary! more the electric bills than anything, they are shocking!:eek:
yeah... the electric has been higher in a lot of cases due to the air conditioning bills. I guess if your somewhere like Melbourne, it won't be as bad.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
We don't have air cond at all here in South Australia and it's only on a few days that we may feel that we need it. However we have a 2 storey house built into the side of the hill so downstairs (which has extra rooms and my study) never gets above 25 deg C even when outside is above 40! Not sure how common that style is around Brissie and other hotter areas but it certainly saves on air cond!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats good to know kaz, the shows can be so off putting when they ply the bills up so:eek: but it prepares you for all eventualitys i guess.

dont forget the show tonight people! :Dcant wait, watch it be a load of...!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am interested in other peoples take on this programme.

Having been watching Wanted Down Under on BBC1 I feel that CH4 gave a more positive spin on the cost of housing and availability of housing, but of course while more positive it is not necessarily more realistic.

There are several things that worry me about areas, some of which I have experience first hand while travelling around AU but others I have only picked up on from TV.

No daylight saving hours in Queensland & WA - The AU dream is a stroll along the beach after work in the evenings, not for it to be dark by 7pm.

Soulless suburbs that sprawl for as far as the eye can see -
I live in Cambridge, England and have the quiet and space of the suburbs but are still only a 20 - 25min walk or 5min drive from the city centre. I enjoy being able to walk/cycle most places but I imagine that such big plots of land means everything is just so far away and driving everywhere is a necessity unless you live in a city centre appartment. Also while not wanting to sound snobbish I would miss the history and architecture of England. I am a member of a Cambridge college founded and built in 1540 and regularly eat in a beautiful dining room in an old college and love to walk the narrow city streets.

However, while dry, the weather over the weekend was grey and miserable in the UK. The Mrs and I went for a walk around Grafton reservoir on Saturday and where ankle deep in mud for most of it and still quite cold despite the hats etc. The cold, dark winters are just eating away at me and the summers are just too short.

Ant

·
Registered
10 Posts
Run to Paradise

As a homesick Aussie living in England I couldn't wait to watch this programme. (January is always hard).

It was a bit all over the place though. Why Phil was on a fishing trawler I don't know. Are they seeking fisherman? I thought the waters were being fished out. And then they love to show the multi-million dollar harbourside homes that no one can afford.

Nevermind. Always enjoy looking at the Australian houses. I can almost smell the floorboards and hear the currawongs. Not to mention the shots of the coastline and beaches. It certainly makes me wonder why I left, it really looks like paradise.

There must have been a lot of English people hopping on the internet to make enquiries about emigrating after it aired. Maybe they should show the traffic on Parramatta Road on a Saturday morning or the fruit and veg section of Woolworths for a bit of balance.

One thing always amuses me about shows such as this is how fussy the English people are about the houses they look at when they have been living in a pebbledashed semi with no yard. I know its a lot to give up to move across the otherside of the world but I do think that English people still believe that Australia is some kind of cheap as chips backwater and are given a false impression.

:DHi

just to tell people incase you dont know

reloction au on chanel 4 at 8 pm fri eve...
not been on forum for a bit so apols if duplicating another thread!:D

ttfn

Claire!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am interested in other peoples take on this programme.

Having been watching Wanted Down Under on BBC1 I feel that CH4 gave a more positive spin on the cost of housing and availability of housing, but of course while more positive it is not necessarily more realistic.
Having watched the first 2 episodes of Relocation: Phil Down Under, I think I prefer his show to Wanted Down Under. As someone who has already made the decision to move down under, and don't have the emotional family hangups, I prefer Relocation where the family has already made the move and looking to buy their first house. Frankly, looking at my budget when we move, I'm amazed that any of the families on Wanted Down Under could actually afford a place when they move. Even after selling a house in the UK. I think most people would end up renting, and still need dual income to be able to afford a decent place. I wish they would touch on the rental market a little more too. I also wish they would send young professional, childless couples over there for the show, and send them to the inner city. A little tired of seeing only the housing options in the burbs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys

Ive enoyed watching them more as phil is quite positive and i think you get a better idea of what the life would be like as he touches on more subjects, i guess we will just have to wait this one out im looking fwd to watching the rest....

AGREED with the english people moaning all the time, they are buying the house NOT the bloomin sofa and wallpaper for god sake:eek: whats wrong with them? must everything be done for them to vision themselves living there, ...guess thats where the name ( w....... pom )comes from lol:D

most of the houses i have seen are three times as big as what we are living in at present and i cannot wait to start looking around property when we get there,we will be soooo easy to please!

:D

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Frankly, looking at my budget when we move, I'm amazed that any of the families on Wanted Down Under could actually afford a place when they move. Even after selling a house in the UK. I think most people would end up renting, and still need dual income to be able to afford a decent place.
It really depends on where people are moving to.
If you move to a State capital it will be more expensive.
If you want to have a house over looking the sea it will be more expensive etc.
Some people want everything when they first move even though it could be wiser financially to start off somewhere smaller and then work up to a bigger place over time (just as people do in the UK and then downsize when the kids leave home :D).

We were lucky in that we moved before the financial crisis and we lived closer to London so prices were quite high. Our aim was to buy somewhere we liked BUT still have money for investments so that we could become financially free (living off our investments rather than having to work for a living).

We're not quite there but we are definitely on our way.

It really depends on what lifestyle and what people *really* want when they move to Australia.

Regards,
Karen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts