Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband will be starting a new job in Mississauga in September. Initially he'll relocate on his own and I'll be staying behind in New Jersey until the end of the year. Can anyone recommend a nice town to live in that's near Mississauga, safe and not too expensive. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Is $2,000/month moderate enough?
Do you need a 1 bedroom condo, or a 4 bedroom detached house?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is $2,000/month moderate enough?
Do you need a 1 bedroom condo, or a 4 bedroom detached house?
Initially we're looking for a small rental until we get a "feel" for the area and decide where we would want to buy. As far as the rental amount, it would depend on what the rent includes but somewhere between $1,500 to $2,000. Which towns do you recommend we should concentrate on in our search (within 30 to 40 minutes outside Mississauga)?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Maybe Georgetown, or Brampton?
Never been in Brampton, but some told me it's 'Little India' over there, but I am sure there are living European people too. But it might be a little bit more difficult to integrate if you live within a concentration of people with a common background that differs a lot from yours. Something to keep in mind.
Most houses you have to rent for 1 year. Less is difficult.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
There's also Milton, Georgetown, Oakville and Burlington.
You should know that Mississauga covers a large swath of land so where you choose could easily take longer or shorter length of time to get to work.
There are many acceptable areas within Mississauga itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe Georgetown, or Brampton?
Never been in Brampton, but some told me it's 'Little India' over there, but I am sure there are living European people too. But it might be a little bit more difficult to integrate if you live within a concentration of people with a common background that differs a lot from yours. Something to keep in mind.
Most houses you have to rent for 1 year. Less is difficult.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's also Milton, Georgetown, Oakville and Burlington.
You should know that Mississauga covers a large swath of land so where you choose could easily take longer or shorter length of time to get to work.
There are many acceptable areas within Mississauga itself.
Thank you. What part of Scotland are you from?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Oakville: close to Dundas street is convenient to get to Mississauga. Close to the 403 (QEW) and the 407 (toll express way).
I have friends in this neighborhood, and they really like it: REALTOR.ca -Property Details W2352760
And this is a neighborhood where we were also looking to buy something. Very beautiful, with a mix of young families and older ones. Very beautiful houses!
REALTOR.ca -Property Details W2313867

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
My daughter and I will be relocating to the GTA as well, hopefully sometime around the first of the year (filing spouse paperwork this month). Mississauga is one area we are considering, too. I will actually be up there next week looking about. If I come across any useful info, I will let you know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My daughter and I will be relocating to the GTA as well, hopefully sometime around the first of the year (filing spouse paperwork this month). Mississauga is one area we are considering, too. I will actually be up there next week looking about. If I come across any useful info, I will let you know.
Please do. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I heard Glasgow is a rough town. Do you root for the "Greens" or the Blues"?
Some parts are certainly rough but, for the most part it's an okay place to live. Having said that there's no way I would go back and live there.
I didn't support either of them, but rather another Glasgow team. One not so good thing about Glasgow is the sectarianism between Protestants and Catholics. In my day if one was a Celtic supporter there as a 99% chance one was Catholic and if Protestant then one was a Rangers' supporter. The result was considerable violence at the games between those teams. I am Protestant so if I did support one of them it would have been the Blues. I don't think it's quite so bad today but it does still exist.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.