Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so glad to have found this forum as am desperately in need of some help/advice before making my decision, please bear with me if I seem to be asking too much.

I have just been offered an exciting job in Paris with a new employer, a large international company but a French company HQ'd in Paris.

I am trying to assess how easy it is going to be to relocate and the key things I should be asking for in terms of relocation package. Good news is that I think I have the tax/social charges worked out but anyone who can give me a thumbs up also helpful.

I am a single female, with three rescue cats (yes I know, I fit the stereotype!), I don't own a property in the UK, I rent so will not be a global tax citizen. I will be living on my own, renting a property in or around Paris with no kids.

So far the offer is €110,000 pa. By my calculation I will lose €22k in social charges at 20% then pay tax on the (net) €83k using the published bands up to 41%. Leaving rough "net net" salary of €60k. Yes/no?

Now to the questions:

1. If I am awarded a relocation package by the employer does that help in so far as providing a guarantor for renting an apartment / getting a bank account etc or in reality is it just really moving/shipping costs

2. In reality how difficult is it to make the move. I know being on my own means I have only myself to consider but at the same time, no one else to help with all the legal and admin side of things, in my head it's super exciting but some reality and steer would be helpful!

3. How much should I be looking for (£/€) value to help with an international move - I will be taking the contents/furniture and a whole warehouse full of clothes and shoes (!) with me - has anyone had experience of shipping contents of a large 2 bed house to Paris and associated costs

4. On the cat front I am clear on the pet passports but assuming I can bring them rather than ship them, in the car via channel tunnel, is that right

5. Cat front again, in the UK I have only ever declared I have two cats for landlord approval (third one sleeps all day so been easy to go unnoticed for several years) how difficult is it to find a mid-sized unfurnished apartment that allows cats, as it's my own furniture landlords in the UK have never had an issue but is the situation different in Paris?

Sorry in advance but any help hugely appreciated!!!!

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Hi,

welcome to the forum, we'll try to be helpful, but don't expect us all to agree .....

I'll tackle the cat thing - that's my bag too - & leave the others to chip in with the rest.

Firstly, yes you can bring them in the car with you through the tunnel. You do need pet passports and a docket from your vet, no more than 3 days old, to say the cats are fit to travel. But, I've travelled regularly with all my animals (currently 11 cats, 2 dogs - & occasionally a child!), and the only paperwork checks have been for me - & the child.

Secondly, re property. In theory, a landlord cannot legally refuse you a tenancy of an unfurnished property because of the cats (tho normally, 2 is max.), but can subsequently evict you if your animals cause a nuisance to neighbours or other tenants. However, if a landlord doesn't want a tenant with pets, they will find some other grounds on which to not accept you, which then becomes difficult to dispute, and in any case you wouldn't want to start off on a bad footing with a prospective landlord. Personally, I wouldn't mention the cats up-front, but that's just me ....

Hope that helps a bit.

Right, over to the others now ....

hils

·
Administrator
51,624 Posts
As far as the relocation package goes, ask your employer-to-be about the apartment side of things. Given the salary they are paying you, they should be willing to do something to help you get an initial apartment lease - whether that involves acting as grantor, or whatever else else might be possible.

On your tax calculations - you're certainly right on the concept. Income taxes are paid nearly a year in arrears, and from there on a monthly or quarterly basis based on the last year's actual assessment. That first year does give you a "grace period" to get yourself settled before you start paying your taxes/estimates. There are a few random additional taxes you'll run into - most notably the taxe d'habitation, which is a sort of property tax on where you're living. Hard to predict how much because it's based on local rates and a calculated "rental value" of the property, which may or may not have anything to do with the rent you're actually paying.

On the moving costs, I'd see if you can get them to stipulate the costs they will pay or reimburse. Sometimes, on the move, they may ask you to get 2 or 3 quotations, and often they'll add a month's salary for general "installation" type charges, deposits, etc.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
686 Posts
For your question 2 - I would imagine that you would get some legal & admin help from your employer's HR department or work colleagues.

Failing that, you can always ask on here for specific situations . . .

for your deductions from salary - I would be tempted to allow 23% - 24% deductions at source as you may be required to contribute to the employers health top-up insurance and possibly some other items. You could ask the HR department to give you a breakdown of your deductions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lockylockette, we are in similar situations and I have just finalized my relo package. Some thoughts:

Housing assistance is standard for large employers to provide for their relocating employees. Typically, they will house you for 2 months in corporate housing and provide an agency to help you find a new place -- and pay the corresponding fees.

They too offer assistance with setting up bank accounts -- at least the 2 companies I've encountered have.

On the net of 60K, there are other "above the line" deductions that you should be able to take, depending on your current situation. I negotiated tax prep for my first year and more importantly, had a meeting with a tax accountant to help me understand my specific tax rate. You may want to ask for this because when we totaled my effective income tax rate, it was much lower than 41%. Will you have a bonus associated with your role?

You should also have someone assigned to assist with admin and legal. My company has subcontracted that out to a 3rd party and they are taking care of that for me.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.