Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My name is Jenny and my husband just landed a new job in Johannesburg. We've got 2 very young children aged 2years old and the youngest is 5 months old. upon knowing my husband's new job, i researched about the place and realized how dangerous the place is. So now, i am a bit apprehensive into moving to south africa especially with my very young family but something inside me also wants to be wherever my husband is. Can anyone advise us as to where is the safest place to stay in Johannesburg (my hubby's office is in bruma) and also the present situation of the place... cheers

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Jenny the safest place is called Thornhill estate at Modderfontein,about 20 minutes from Bruma.
The biggest threat is not the crime but in your not recognising when you are doing something "silly".
Your husbands Company need to get someone from a risk assesment Company to brief you(and no, I dont know who to recommend) and to also check out your rented accomodation iro
security.
I strongly suggest that is non-negotiable.
The second thing is that if someone local offers you advice, take it to heart.
you need to get into an awareness routine.
good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jenny the safest place is called Thornhill estate at Modderfontein,about 20 minutes from Bruma.
The biggest threat is not the crime but in your not recognising when you are doing something "silly".
Your husbands Company need to get someone from a risk assesment Company to brief you(and no, I dont know who to recommend) and to also check out your rented accomodation iro
security.
I strongly suggest that is non-negotiable.
The second thing is that if someone local offers you advice, take it to heart.
you need to get into an awareness routine.
good luck
Sound advice. Follow it.

But it's not as bad as media suggests.

·
Registered
3 Posts
But seriously- enjoy Jhb it's far better than it's made out to be. Great weather and and very interesting culture! Just be careful the nervous nellys and doomsayers. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jenny,
Don't listen to the doom mongers, it's great here, as long as you are aware of where you are, what you are doing, and whats around you.........just like any major city in the UK then!!!!!!
I have been here with my partner for a while now and we both love it, we have never had any problems with security and never felt threatened in any way, but we are careful and observant. Your hubbys company should take responsibility for introducing you into the environment here and selecting a safe area but basically the Northern suburbs are the place to be, anywhere around Sandton (where we are) Bryanston, Fourways, Modderfontein is also OK.
Let me know if you need any further information, but seriously you don't have to worry its a great place to be.
Graham

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi Jenny,
Don't listen to the doom mongers, it's great here, as long as you are aware of where you are, what you are doing, and whats around you.........just like any major city in the UK then!!!!!!
I have been here with my partner for a while now and we both love it, we have never had any problems with security and never felt threatened in any way, but we are careful and observant. Your hubbys company should take responsibility for introducing you into the environment here and selecting a safe area but basically the Northern suburbs are the place to be, anywhere around Sandton (where we are) Bryanston, Fourways, Modderfontein is also OK.
Let me know if you need any further information, but seriously you don't have to worry its a great place to be.
Graham
Wow, sounds like the Garden of Eden! Think I will leave tranquil southern SPain and move back to the peace of Johannesburg then! Not............

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hi Jenny,
Graham
Graham, so Jenny can carry on and do everything as she and her family did in the UK, just be a bit more aware and dont walk down dark streets at night?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This statement is untrue.... "buyer beware"
I agree with Grabal58. I have lived in Sandton for 6 months and so far.have not had any bad experiences wrt crime You must not forget that crime is a problem in SA and you should never be complaisant. It is not however as bad as I reported back in the UK. The standard of living in the northern suburbs is superb and I agree this is the most suitable area for an expat family..

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I agree with Grabal58. I have lived in Sandton for 6 months and so far.have not had any bad experiences wrt crime You must not forget that crime is a problem in SA and you should never be complaisant. It is not however as bad as I reported back in the UK. The standard of living in the northern suburbs is superb and I agree this is the most suitable area for an expat family..
When you're behind your fortress its normally fine.... but if you want to be free and travel not only to and from the Mall, its another thing entirely.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
And while Graham and michaeltd live there they should also be on the lookout for the following posted for those areas they mentioned.
But dont call the SAPS, they are a bit short of vehicles, call the armed response Companies.

BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR......
"These vehicles have been involved in House robberies. If you see any of these vehicles, contact SAPS as soon as
possible.
1. Silver Bantam Bakkie - VPG 087 GP (false Plates)
2. Black Proton with tow bar - SYB 242 GP (awaiting confirmation)
3. White Nissan bakkie 1400 -VBL 472 GP (false plates)
Suspects all carry handguns and are well dressed.
If you spot any of these vehicles, do not worry about registrations, they could be false.
If you feel that there is something suspicious ~ do not hesitate to call SAPS or our control room on 086 *******
Look out for red Corsa Sedan and Telkom posers
Please note that a similar vehicle with Registration No. RHP 614 GP was seen parked in the Juweel Park. There were 2
black male occupants inside the vehicle."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not that Bad

Sound advice. Follow it.

But it's not as bad as media suggests.
Hey Jenny - as an Expat to the Uk and living in SA most of my life, it is not as bad as made out. Yes you have to be aware, but life is good, and the weather is brilliant. You will quickly make friends.
Will let you know of a company to speak to....tell your husbands firm to set up a service provider for you - they will guide you with the best knowledge of areas and where to put the kids.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with the point made by SABrits.

I studied this forum when I considered relocating to Johannesburg - it was so negative and depressing (usually the same 3-4 persons dominating all the threads), however I decided to come down to see it for myself and speak to a lot of people. Im glad I did - the picture is completely different to most of the negative comments here...

Stick to the safe areas, use common sense etc and you will be fine. The standard of living here is fantastic and so much to do outside the city too. I dont feel a fortress living in my house and dont feel nervous driving to any of the malls.

My advice if youre considering moving here - come for a week or two to see things for yourself and speak to the people in your prospective new company who actually live here.

Take all the "extreme" doomongering with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hi Irishlout, can you advise which are the safe areas to stick to in Johannesburg/Pretoria?
the ones that dont have the hi-jackings and armed invasions the "doomongers" pinch of salt
should be taken with??

1 - 20 of 67 Posts