Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am seriously looking into relocating to Chamonix in May this year 2012 with my two little children, two and a half and five and a half. I already have a part time job lined up, but still need to find accomodation and to find out about how to put the kids into school.I know this can take up to six months to get into the french system so i might need to get private childcare to start with? can anyone advise me how this works in France? I will be doing this as a single mum and am wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as me, I need some mental support here to feel I am doing the right thing, it is a little scary!

What places around Chamonix are best for expat parents with kids? I have some friends there but they are all without children and it would be great to have some feedback from someone who has been in the same situation as me. Thanks! :)

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
Once you have accommodation, just go to the mairie (town hall) of the town you're living in and ask them about maternelle, crêches, halte garderies or whatever other facilities they have available for the kids.

Many towns start the children in school (i.e. maternelle) as soon as they are "clean" (i.e. potty trained) - say, age 3 or 4. Before that the town usually has some form of halte garderie (for which you have to sign up for a regular session, every Tuesday morning, say, or three afternoons a week) or crêche.

It shouldn't take six months to get this organized - but it can depend a bit on which town you're actually living in and what facilities they have available.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi there

I live in Chamonix and have a child. Your 5 and a half year old would be of school age, so you would just need to enrol them in school, which is quite easy but would depend on where you live. I'm assuming that your 2 and a half year old will be 3 this year? If so, they'll also start school in September. Between May and September you would have to find someone to look after him/her. I'm not sure if I'm able to give you my personal email address and you could get in touch. You won't need 6 months to get everything started, you can get a lot done before you get here. Have you got an address yet or a job?
Sarah

·
Registered
1 Posts
Social Network for Chamonix

Hello,

There's an English speaking social/ community network for people and businesses in the valley. The social network for Chamonix. It's called Chamsocial (I'm unable to post the link here as I've just joined the expat forum, it will be easy enough to find using google).

May I suggest you subscribe/sign up (like on here) then write an email asking for specific information. I am certain that a few of the many expat parents here will reply to you with specific information and/or websites with further information on.

Anyone can write asking for help with job searches, accommodation, English speaking doctors or even Swedish ones, many people in the valley are Swedish, I'm sure you'll find the information useful. One piece of advice though; set up a separate folder in your inbox for all CHAMSOCIAL emails....sometimes there are 60 in a day....it's a busy street.

All the best to you, 'hope this is helpful.
W.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi emmas,

I'm also relocating to chamonix this year with 2 kids as a single parent but you are one step ahead of me as I don't have a job yet! I'm going at easter to put the feelers out. I have French family in the valley and english friends who have moved out before but noone has mentioned having to wait for a place, is this something I need to be aware of?? I think there are 3 schools to choose from. I would be happy to keep in touch with you if you would like to, my boys are 6, I am really interested to know how you get on.

xx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there

HI Sarah, thanks for your reply! i would love to hear more from you, i have a job lined up but need to make sure i can survive out there with two kids on my own first before i take the plunge.. still looking for accommodation. my little girl will be 3 in august and she is diaper free, so someone said she could start straight away? My job would be flexible so could literally live wherever I wanted in the valley.. hope to hear from you soon!:) it seems like i cannot leave my email address on here..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi emmas,

I'm also relocating to chamonix this year with 2 kids as a single parent but you are one step ahead of me as I don't have a job yet! I'm going at easter to put the feelers out. I have French family in the valley and english friends who have moved out before but noone has mentioned having to wait for a place, is this something I need to be aware of?? I think there are 3 schools to choose from. I would be happy to keep in touch with you if you would like to, my boys are 6, I am really interested to know how you get on.

xx
Hi Flennyz,

I was just told that as with any country you move to you need to get yourself in the system which could take a while, but as Beverly said here before, it might not take that long, my problem is that I have not found accommodation yet, so cant really start looking specific schools and childcare yet. would be great if you have any ideas of good places to be around chamonix with kids? What are the 3 schools called and where are they? would really like to keep in touch as well and hear what you come up with over easter, sounds like you have a lot of support out there so you should not have a problem!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello,

There's an English speaking social/ community network for people and businesses in the valley. The social network for Chamonix. It's called Chamsocial (I'm unable to post the link here as I've just joined the expat forum, it will be easy enough to find using google).

May I suggest you subscribe/sign up (like on here) then write an email asking for specific information. I am certain that a few of the many expat parents here will reply to you with specific information and/or websites with further information on.

Anyone can write asking for help with job searches, accommodation, English speaking doctors or even Swedish ones, many people in the valley are Swedish, I'm sure you'll find the information useful. One piece of advice though; set up a separate folder in your inbox for all CHAMSOCIAL emails....sometimes there are 60 in a day....it's a busy street.

All the best to you, 'hope this is helpful.
W.
Hi!
Yes I did sign up on Chamsocial, but I just got totally lumbered with emails of bedshares and transfers as you say.. and the website never quite works when I have been on there, so I tried this one instead.
But I will give it a go again, thanks for your advice :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
I also live in Chamonix during the winter time.
Whilst Cham Social can inundate you with unnecessary emails it is very useful when they are applicable to you.

There is also a website for finding accommodation, selling items etc. Google "Cham 74"

And the Mairie in Chamonix has a wall of 'Annonces' outside on one of its walls. they also publish it online. If you google "petites announces chamonix" it is the top of the list.

I don't have children but a frequent poster on Cham Social is Le Petit VIP who arrange kids' events. If you google "Le Petit VIP" you will found them.

I am unable to post URLs yet as well, hence the googling requirements.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I also live in Chamonix during the winter time.
Whilst Cham Social can inundate you with unnecessary emails it is very useful when they are applicable to you.

There is also a website for finding accommodation, selling items etc. Google "Cham 74"

And the Mairie in Chamonix has a wall of 'Annonces' outside on one of its walls. they also publish it online. If you google "petites announces chamonix" it is the top of the list.

I don't have children but a frequent poster on Cham Social is Le Petit VIP who arrange kids' events. If you google "Le Petit VIP" you will found them.

I am unable to post URLs yet as well, hence the googling requirements.
Now that I can post links, I thought I'd come back and post the links for the websites I have described above. In order to make it easier for people in the future.
So Cham 74 The classifieds ads site For everything ski in the Alps.

Chamonix Mairie Petits Annonces Petites annonces logement

Le Petit VIP http://www.lepetitvip.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just looking for an update!

Hi ladies- I read your post with interest!
I lived in Chamonix last year, with every intention of returning after sorting some work issues in the UK...only to discover when coming back to the UK this year that I was pregnant..slight shock to say the least!
It hasn't worked out with the father, and although staying here for the birth in January and subsequent months- I am looking to return to Chamonix, ideally wihtin the next 18 months/two years.
Just wondering how you've managed if you made the big move? My concern, although I have friends in Chamonix, (none of them have kids), is that I will find myself isolated in a tiny apartment with just a baby for company..have you found much in the way of support as a single mum/childcare etc?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi there

With any new baby there are plenty of changes and a lot for the better! This doesn't change if you move overseas, and it can even help. Having a baby can give you access to a whole different group of friends, each with their own children. It can actually be easier making friends as there is a reason to talk to people, and there are loads of people with children in Chamonix, where I am based. You will already be aware of the job situation in Chamonix so your biggest hurdle will be finding someone to look after your baby whilst you work as the crèches in Chamonix and Les Houches have a waiting list of approximately 18 months. If you can't find a place there, then try getting in touch with a nounou. You'd need to do this well in advance. If you can sort something out for childcare, there is no reason why you can't enjoy yourself like your last season. Good luck with everything!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.