Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my partner and I have a small business (turnover £10,000/$16,000), which we started recently and looks to keep expanding. I work full-time in a professional capacity, whereas my partner works for our business full-time. We would like to relocate to the US (ideally Colorado) and we were wondering if anyone could give advice as to what the paths are available to us to fulfil the immigration requirements. We have looked into the "investment" route, but we cannot provide $500,000. However, it would be possible to employ 3 American Citizens with our business, once we have relocated. We both have a diploma degree (Product design & IT Electronics.)
Any advice you could offer would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi, my partner and I have a small business (turnover £10,000/$16,000), which we started recently and looks to keep expanding. I work full-time in a professional capacity, whereas my partner works for our business full-time. We would like to relocate to the US (ideally Colorado) and we were wondering if anyone could give advice as to what the paths are available to us to fulfil the immigration requirements. We have looked into the "investment" route, but we cannot provide $500,000. However, it would be possible to employ 3 American Citizens with our business, once we have relocated. We both have a diploma degree (Product design & IT Electronics.)
Any advice you could offer would be gratefully received.
I don't see any realistic path here.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Let me phrase this in another way; will having our own business augment the chances of getting a working visa if we were to apply in our professional capacities?
No.

You can be sponsored by an employer purely for your employment skills. Generally, you're going to require a bachelors degree or higher (a diploma can be either pre or post so I have no idea in your case).

You can open a company in the US as part of the expansion plans of your UK company. A turnover of $16k is insufficient for the UK company. In addition, they would expect some history for the UK company (you state "recent") , your UK company would require a structure (a one-and-a-half man band is difficult), and you would be expected to put some capital investment in the US company (say $100k or so).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No.

You can be sponsored by an employer purely for your employment skills. Generally, you're going to require a bachelors degree or higher (a diploma can be either pre or post so I have no idea in your case).

You can open a company in the US as part of the expansion plans of your UK company. A turnover of $16k is insufficient for the UK company. In addition, they would expect some history for the UK company (you state "recent") , your UK company would require a structure (a one-and-a-half man band is difficult), and you would be expected to put some capital investment in the US company (say $100k or so).
I see. Thanks, mate, much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts