Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Am planning to move to melbourne in march 2010 with my wife. We were wondering that where do people stay when they arrive for the first time to australia. I have been looking at accomodations in hotels, but that is kind of expensive as i am unable to find a rate lower than 150 AUD per night. I have also been looking at rates for fully furnished apartments, they are 800-900 AUD per week with all the amneties. I want to stay somewhere near the CBD in the initial phase.

Secondly, i would like to know that how much time does it take for getting a rental accomodation, as we dont have a credit history so it would be a bit difficult plus we have to put an offer and then wait for the response. I just want an estimate so i would know as to how long would i need to stay at the hotel. Do you think 2 weeks or 4 weeks.

Looking forward to your help :clap2:

and looking forward to :plane: to melbourne :focus:

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi jrana

search for temporary accommodation, if you want cheap accommodation, there is an option of backpackers, there are rooms on twin sharing basis available as well which cost approx 100-200$ per day.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Also i have the same problem, im single and willing to visit Australia for 4 weeks on march or april and its so expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi i am also looking for furnished villa for 6 i am going in march to perth was looking at the joondalup area any help, can only find unfurnished.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have also been looking at rates for fully furnished apartments, they are 800-900 AUD per week with all the amneties
800pw is exorbitant. Are you sure it is per week not per month?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldnt do hotels, couldnt you set up a short term (3 month) furnished rental and pay via bank transfer so you can go straight there? Thats what we did when we went on our working holiday. That and house sitting. Try Housecarers.com and there are others. we stayed here Sandgate Accommodation QLD, Holiday Rentals, Houses - Rent-A-Home.com.au and here accommodation activities Travel in Oz Australia if you go on the websites and search for the area you want to stay in. If you stay longer than a week and tell them you will do cleaning yourself you get a much better deal.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi all. Am planning to move to melbourne in march 2010 with my wife. We were wondering that where do people stay when they arrive for the first time to australia. I have been looking at accomodations in hotels, but that is kind of expensive as i am unable to find a rate lower than 150 AUD per night. I have also been looking at rates for fully furnished apartments, they are 800-900 AUD per week with all the amneties. I want to stay somewhere near the CBD in the initial phase.

Secondly, i would like to know that how much time does it take for getting a rental accomodation, as we dont have a credit history so it would be a bit difficult plus we have to put an offer and then wait for the response. I just want an estimate so i would know as to how long would i need to stay at the hotel. Do you think 2 weeks or 4 weeks.

Looking forward to your help :clap2:

and looking forward to :plane: to melbourne :focus:
I can see here, that there are at-least a few houses available from $200 to $400/week, which look decent, and are in CBD.

Search Results for MELBOURNE, Victoria - Rental Properties - realestate.com.au

You may want to try other real estate rental sites, and gumtree.com.au for more deals.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

We're not going to Melbourne, but same story, we don't want to spend too much on our first weeks.
We decided to rent a bungalow or a caravan in a holiday park at least until we can sort more permanent accomodation, we decided against staying in a hotel.

I'm quite happy with our decision, let's hope it's the right one.:D

Cheers,
Busyte

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can try this site: Melbourne hotels, motels & serviced apartment accommodation - discount rates on Not1Night.com.au I used it for Melbourne but I think it works for others as well.

There's Darling Towers in South Yarra (eastern suburbs) and I got a 'run-of-house' room for $60/night. It's a studio or one bedroom - whatever's available. Some of the places are older but it's clean and does the trick for cheap and the locations are pretty good. It's a serviced apartment - they clean once a week and you should have access to free laundry.

As for the rental process - it helps if you have a rental history. Try to get a letter of reference before you come over and make copies to attach to rental applications. I've just relocated and I'm looking for work (partner already has full time work) so I wrote a cover letter explaining my situation and turned it in with applications. It also helps if any references overseas can be reached by e-mail. I threw that in even when there wasn't a space and it WAS used.

That said, renting is a lot of work here. We spent a good few days doing nothing but going rental to rental. If you're looking for fully furnished, check out gumtree.com.au. It might work out cheaper just to buy furniture someplace like Fantastic Furniture. If you google them you can check out the website - they do package deals and are the cheapest we've found so far.

Hope that helps a little.

~Rachael

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the wonderful answers. I would check these websites out and plan things accordingly. Would really be great if i could find some blog where immigrants explained what they did before landing and how they managed everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts