Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My company has offered to relocate me (dual British/Spanish citizen who speaks Italian & Spanish) from Leeds in the UK to either Emilia Romagna (Italy) or Catalonia (Spain). The choice of those 2 areas is due to some my companies' key customers being located in Bologna and Barcelona and I would be the sales person in charge of South Europe.

I've lived in both countries during my childhood, but in very different areas (Cantabria and Frosinone) and would prefer not to live in a city, but somewhere in the countryside within a commutable distance of the city centre.

We have a family of myself, my British partner (who speaks only English and French), our 2 toddlers and 4 cats and I've been offered a salary of ~€80k (I know seems a lot, but bearing in mind I'll be the only one able to work from the beginning I'm not sure if it'll be all that much). We own a house in the UK and wouldn't want to sell it, as we just bought it a couple of years ago (we'd probably rent it out and rent something wherever we move to)

I'm basically trying to get some advice on the following:
  • Which area would be better for us in terms of living costs (can we comfortably live in both locations?)
  • How are the schools in both areas? Would the fact we want to move to the countryside mean that schools won't be great?
  • Is it reasonable to expect to find a house to rent with 4 cats?

Finally, although I've lived in both countries during my childhood, I have no idea how the whole tax system works in either Italy nor Spain, and how do things work if my salary is coming from another country (do I need to set up a company or something else?)

I'm really sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread or if my questions sound silly, hopefully someone can help :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

My company has offered to relocate me (dual British/Spanish citizen who speaks Italian & Spanish) from Leeds in the UK to either Emilia Romagna (Italy) or Catalonia (Spain). The choice of those 2 areas is due to some my companies' key customers being located in Bologna and Barcelona and I would be the sales person in charge of South Europe.

I've lived in both countries during my childhood, but in very different areas (Cantabria and Frosinone) and would prefer not to live in a city, but somewhere in the countryside within a commutable distance of the city centre.

We have a family of myself, my British partner (who speaks only English and French), our 2 toddlers and 4 cats and I've been offered a salary of ~€80k (I know seems a lot, but bearing in mind I'll be the only one able to work from the beginning I'm not sure if it'll be all that much). We own a house in the UK and wouldn't want to sell it, as we just bought it a couple of years ago (we'd probably rent it out and rent something wherever we move to)

• Which area would be better for us in terms of living costs (can we comfortably live in both locations?)
  • How are the schools in both areas? Would the fact we want to move to the countryside mean that schools won't be great?
  • Is it reasonable to expect to find a house to rent with 4 cats?

Finally, although I've lived in both countries during my childhood, I have no idea how the whole tax system works in either Italy nor Spain, and how do things work if my salary is coming from another country (do I need to set up a company or something else?)

I'm really sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread or if my questions sound silly, hopefully someone can help :)
Hi all,

Which area would be better for us in terms of living costs (can we comfortably live in both locations?)
How are the schools in both areas? Would the fact we want to move to the countryside mean that schools won't be great?
Is it reasonable to expect to find a house to rent with 4 cats?

I know Catalonia only as a tourist so can't comment on things like schools.

For me it would be an extremely difficult choice. Catalonia has the advantage that the big city (Barcelona) is on the coast so you could choose to live in one of the towns nearby and have a short commute to work and great lifestyle by the seaside after work and at weekends.

Bologna is nice but a long way from the coast: people would say you can always go at weekends, but by train with a family can be expensive/inconvenient and by car you can get stuck in traffic for ages and parking is a nightmare.
A great place to live in the area for me is Santarcangelo: it's a small town but it has a train station which gets you to the seaside (Rimini/Riccione) quickly and cheaply.
It has good nurseries and primary schools and it's a safe place to let the children just go out and play by themselves.
In spite of being so small it has great restaurants and cost of living is low compared to Bologna or Barcelona.

The downside is that it's a long way from Bologna and that it's bitterly cold in winter, while in Barcelona it rarely goes below 10 degrees.

Another downside is language: Italians don't normally speak English, so your partner will have to learn fairly quickly. I'm not sure about Catalonia: they all speak English in the hospitality sector, but that would be the same in Italian touristic places like Rimini/Riccione seafront or Bologna historic centre.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts