Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

this is a new post, i am irish and my wife is russian with spanish residency card. i have been offered a job in america and want to know if any of you guys could help on a couple of questions

what papers my wife and i would need.

we want to bring our dog, who is young and healthy (as we are!)

whats the story re health insurance?

thanks for your help guys!

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
Well, the job offer should include a visa for you. And, depending on the sort of visa, most likely a dependent's visa for your wife. The employer should be asking you for papers (birth certificates, passports, etc) needed for the visa application.

The dog really won't be a problem. Specific requirements depend on which state you'll be going to, but basically shots up to date and a health certificate to back it up.

Health insurance - well, if you have about 10 or 15 years to figure it out... Basically, ask your employer-to-be what sort of health insurance the company offers (though employers are not required to provide health insurance). Expect hefty "co-pays" (i.e. the amounts you pay toward the cost of doctor's appointments and other services).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the job offer should include a visa for you. And, depending on the sort of visa, most likely a dependent's visa for your wife. The employer should be asking you for papers (birth certificates, passports, etc) needed for the visa application.

The dog really won't be a problem. Specific requirements depend on which state you'll be going to, but basically shots up to date and a health certificate to back it up.

Health insurance - well, if you have about 10 or 15 years to figure it out... Basically, ask your employer-to-be what sort of health insurance the company offers (though employers are not required to provide health insurance). Expect hefty "co-pays" (i.e. the amounts you pay toward the cost of doctor's appointments and other services).
Cheers,
Bev

grat, thanks very much for your quick reply. its really helpful, have a great day!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi again from Spain!

Do you know of any cheap health insurance companie in US that could cover us for the basics?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
hi again from Spain!

Do you know of any cheap health insurance companie in US that could cover us for the basics?
There is no such thing:>)
Medical insurance should be part of your employment contract. Have you discussed this with your potential employer? Your only other option is to google

Your dog needs an EU "passport" (vet should know), shots under 30 days prior to departure and has to be chipped if you plan to bring him back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again,

One more question for you...............i have an offer of work which allows my wife a visa as a dependent, she wants also to work. Do you know if she would have the legal right to work?

Thanks again for your assistance

Steven.

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
Hi again,

One more question for you...............i have an offer of work which allows my wife a visa as a dependent, she wants also to work. Do you know if she would have the legal right to work?

Thanks again for your assistance

Steven.
Depends the precise sort of visa, but "dependent" visas generally don't allow the trailing spouse to work, unless it's an L category visa.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts