Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've been working with the same company as a mechanical engineer (EA-assessed) from november 2006 but I went on a hiatus of 11 months in 2015 due to personal issues, but my employment was not terminated. I still get more than 8 years of relevant experience in the last 10 years. Will there be an issue if they find out that I had such a hiatus? Because when I filled up the EOI, there's no option to put it. It's just FROM-TO date of employment. Btw, I did not go for an EA RSA since my work verification won't be hard to assess.
I hope someone with similar experience (or with a client's experience) would be able to respond... I'm just a bit worried.

Thanks,
Ramon

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I am not sure if you were being paid during that period, but you certainly were not working in a 'skilled' occupation, so rather than "them finding out", you should declare yourself as neither working nor studying (i.e. a gap) in your career in the EOI, visa application, and later in form 80. There shouldn't be any problem if you provide a satisfactory reason for this gap (what you were occupied with, how you were financially supported, etc. See form 80 for more details) and not claim work points for this period.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not sure but it should not be a problem. Were you on leaves? Did you get paid during this period, even zero? If you ask your company for experience letter, what dates they will provide. You can, I think, apply for experience during that period as you were enrolled in a company and you can claim them as long leave. You don't need to mention it even.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Hi,
I've been working with the same company as a mechanical engineer (EA-assessed) from november 2006 but I went on a hiatus of 11 months in 2015 due to personal issues, but my employment was not terminated. I still get more than 8 years of relevant experience in the last 10 years. Will there be an issue if they find out that I had such a hiatus? Because when I filled up the EOI, there's no option to put it. It's just FROM-TO date of employment. Btw, I did not go for an EA RSA since my work verification won't be hard to assess.
I hope someone with similar experience (or with a client's experience) would be able to respond... I'm just a bit worried.

Thanks,
Ramon
Did your company provide you in writing that you are granted a long leave? if yes, no issues.

while filling EOI you can segregate your same company work experience in two parts excluding the long break of 11 months.

otherside of coin , you should provide a plausible answer to CO pertaining to that 11 months gap when asked

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses. This 11-month period was unpaid, but with verbal permission of course that's why they did not terminate me. I'm almost 11 yrs in the company and removing this 11 months would still give me 9 yrs, hence still the max points in experience. But I'm just worried that it would be a problem. Company also gave me a reference letter without mentioning this period. But if the CO suddenly asks for a bank statement, I'm afraid that he or she would make an issue out of it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses. This 11-month period was unpaid, but with verbal permission of course that's why they did not terminate me. I'm almost 11 yrs in the company and removing this 11 months would still give me 9 yrs, hence still the max points in experience. But I'm just worried that it would be a problem. Company also gave me a reference letter without mentioning this period. But if the CO suddenly asks for a bank statement, I'm afraid that he or she would make an issue out of it.
Its at the CO's discretion whether to ask for it or not. If they do you may end up in trouble as you wont have payslips or records in your bank statements. Employer's reference wont help as its not considered as an evidence of payment. The CO may or may not let it slide, but taking such a risk is entirely your decision.

Your experience is positively assessed by EA? If there wasn't any deduction by EA, and you can still claim full points for 8+ years after deducting 11 month hiatus, maybe the safest way to proceed is to remove this unpaid duration from your EOI, entirely.

You can split your experience into 2 in your EOI:
1. Sep 2007- 2015 (when you went on the hiatus).
2. 2015 (when you joined back)- leave the "to date" blank if you are still in the same position.

When you lodge a visa application based on an invite on this EOI in the future; you can mention the gap period separately in your employment history; and mark it as "not claiming points", and mention that it was an unpaid leave. The CO should not have any issue as you didnt claim any points for this whole period.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi guys,
If you can explain that to CO then it won't be an issue. Issue will arise if you happen to have claimed points for that period.

You always had option to make your assessor aware of that during EA assessment about this gap when you were not working. Why you didn't do this that time?

Now you have to mark the gap as irrelevant in EOI.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Hi guys,
you have ample experience even without those 11 months and you still in the same company, then where is the question of bank statements comes(for 11 months gap) from if you split your experience in EOI as mentioned earlier.

It will not affect your visa application but that gap of 11 months should be justified by you.

Request your HR to mention about that gap stating you were granted a break or leave.
or request them to write the period from 2007-2015( till whichever month you left)
&2016-till date

Lastly, you have to justify how you managed that time.
It will not affect,if the gap is not due to chronic health condition.

Good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
just to slide in my issue too... what about 1 month unpaid leave? Do i need to declare this in Form 80?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
just to slide in my issue too... what about 1 month unpaid leave? Do i need to declare this in Form 80?

Yes you need to mention it. Leave no gaps between your employments, or education.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes you need to mention it. Leave no gaps between your employments, or education.

Actually for my EOI i didn declare tht 1 month unpaid coz they just said employment period. And ive got my invite ..am about to lodge my visa.

I will declare my 1 month upaid in form 80 but will it coz any problem?

Do i need to declare in the Immiaccount at the 17pages there too?

thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
Actually for my EOI i didn declare tht 1 month unpaid coz they just said employment period. And ive got my invite ..am about to lodge my visa.

thanks

Did you claim points for the unpaid leave? If no, than all good.
If yes, than if you count out this period, does your points score change? If no, than dont worry about it. If yes, it may cause some issues in your application.

Also, was this period left out from your Skills assessment as well? Is their any unpaid leave mentioned there?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts

thanks

Were you unpaid and employed? OR you were unemployed?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you claim points for the unpaid leave? If no, than all good.

If yes, than if you count out this period, does your points score change? If no, than dont worry about it. If yes, it may cause some issues in your application.

Also, was this period left out from your Skills assessment as well? Is their any unpaid leave mentioned there?

Well im claiming for the 3 yrs work experience. So ive worked in 2 companies. the 1st company i work was about 2 yrs 10 months and my 2nd company is about 9 months.

So sum up,its more than 3 yrs,excluding the 1 month unpaid,but i may have claim point for the unpaid leave in EOI as i didn separate the terms.

Also,should i declare in my visa application or i just declare in form 80?

my skill assessment do not check employment experience.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I was unpaid and employed for tht 1 month leave. thts why i didn declare in EOI.

Thats OK then.

In Form 80/ Form 1221, there are additional info sections. In those you can mention this fact while lodging VISA

·
Registered
577 Posts
Well im claiming for the 3 yrs work experience. So ive worked in 2 companies. the 1st company i work was about 2 yrs 10 months and my 2nd company is about 9 months.

So sum up,its more than 3 yrs,excluding the 1 month unpaid,but i may have claim point for the unpaid leave in EOI as i didn separate the terms.

Also,should i declare in my visa application or i just declare in form 80?

my skill assessment do not check employment experience.

I think you should be fine with it. Just mention it in your application and form 80.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

ACS has considered only 5 years from my 11 years of experience.

While filing Expression on Interest, it asks for relevant experience in last 10 years. Should I mention only 5 years (which has been considered by ACS) or full 10 years?

Thanks
Rahul Gupta

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi

ACS has considered only 5 years from my 11 years of experience.

While filing Expression on Interest, it asks for relevant experience in last 10 years. Should I mention only 5 years (which has been considered by ACS) or full 10 years?

Thanks
Rahul Gupta
Split your experiences:

1. Mention the 5 years assessed by ACS; along with proper dates- Mark this as "relevant"

2. Mention the deducted years as "not-relevant".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts