Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow expats,
This might have been asked earlier, but since I am new to this forum, could you please be kind enough to provide some advice?

My fiancé is looking to apply for PR. She has a B.E in Medical Electronics, which has 90% of the course curriculum similar to Electronics engineering courses in Australia. We are trying to apply for a 189 visa in the electronics engineering or engineering technologist category.

Here is the question- she has a work experience of only 3.5years as a software engineer. Since her employment is not in the same field as her education, does it mean she is not eligible to apply for a PR through this channel? I am hearing varying opinions from immigration agencies, hence wanted to check if anyone in here has had a similar experience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Sanjay

·
Registered
458 Posts
What is the ANZSCO code you are planning to apply for ?
Will you be included as a dependent?
If so, is both of your qualifications are on SOL or CSOL list?
Do you have documents necessary to prove genuine relationship since you are not married and will be applying as de facto partner?

Please answer these questions, Senior members will be happy to help

If I assume she is applying for Software Engineer, ACS deducts 4 years of work experience if her studies not related to Software Engineer...so most probably you wont get a positive assessment

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Anamica, thanks for your reply. No, it is not as a dependent visa, although I have been on a PR for a couple of years.

We are planning to apply her visa as an independent PR application before marriage. Planning to apply using her B.E Medical Electronics degree (233411) or the Engineering Technologist(233914) categories, which is yet to be confirmed.

We aren't looking to apply for work experience points, as it is not relevant to her field of study. My doubt is whether relevant work experience to her educational background is mandatory to apply for the assessment, even though we are not looking to gain points for her employment,which is in the IT segment.

Many thanks,
Sanjay

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
Hi Anamica, thanks for your reply. No, it is not as a dependent visa, although I have been on a PR for a couple of years.

We are planning to apply her visa as an independent PR application before marriage. Planning to apply using her B.E Medical Electronics degree (233411) or the Engineering Technologist(233914) categories, which is yet to be confirmed.

We aren't looking to apply for work experience points, as it is not relevant to her field of study. My doubt is whether relevant work experience to her educational background is mandatory to apply for the assessment, even though we are not looking to gain points for her employment,which is in the IT segment.

Many thanks,
Sanjay
If you dont gain points for her experience then how do you propose of getting a score of at least 65-70 points to get an invite ?

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Newbiez,

I was hoping the points for age, education, and English test, which totals to 65 would be sufficient to apply? Please correct me if I am wrong, but has there been a points scale restructure which demands a minimum of 70points? As far as I knew from my process, higher points would increase the chances of a quicker process, except for certain employments such as accountant, software engineer etc., due to the demand.

Many Thanks,
Sanjay

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
Hi Newbiez,

I was hoping the points for age, education, and English test, which totals to 65 would be sufficient to apply? Please correct me if I am wrong, but has there been a points scale restructure which demands a minimum of 70points? As far as I knew from my process, higher points would increase the chances of a quicker process, except for certain employments such as accountant, software engineer etc., due to the demand.

Many Thanks,
Sanjay
The minimum to apply is 60 points but may not be actually sufficient to get an invite
If she gets assessed under 2613, then with 65 points she will have a wait of 3-4 months or even longer.
With just 60 points there is no hope of getting an invite at all.
My earlier reply was based on this assumption

Has she already completed her PTEA and scored 20 ?
Which ANZSCO Code are you aiming for if not software engineer?

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Newbienz,

Planning to apply using her B.E Medical Electronics degree (233411) or the Engineering Technologist(233914) categories, which is yet to be confirmed. She cannot apply as a software engineer as she does not have a minimum of 6 years to apply.

Apart from the points, would you be able to advice if employment irrelevant to education would be a hindrance in applying ?

Many thanks,
Sanjay

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
Hi Newbienz,

Planning to apply using her B.E Medical Electronics degree (233411) or the Engineering Technologist(233914) categories, which is yet to be confirmed. She cannot apply as a software engineer as she does not have a minimum of 6 years to apply.

Apart from the points, would you be able to advice if employment irrelevant to education would be a hindrance in applying ?

Many thanks,
Sanjay
In 189, how you got the points is not relevant.
So it will not be a hindrance
If you are planning to get State sponsorship, then it might be a problem

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not very concerned about the points, as I believe her points total would be sufficient. However I am worried if Engineers Australia assessment will look at the only the education details, or will they be looking at that plus evidence of relevant employment, and make a decision depending on that.

Many thanks,
Sanjay

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
I am not very concerned about the points, as I believe her points total would be sufficient. However I am worried if Engineers Australia assessment will look at the only the education details, or will they be looking at that plus evidence of relevant employment, and make a decision depending on that.

Many thanks,
Sanjay
No idea at all about Engineers Australia proceSS
I am sure the other members will help,you out

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts