Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just reviewing the evidence that we will send for our relationship. We have been married for fourteen years and I plan to simply use the following;
  • Marriage certificate
  • joint travel stamps showing joint travel to UK once or twice each year of our marriage
  • Tenancy agreement with both our names.

I don't want to overwhelm them with too much and the UKVI web site now says:

You don’t generally need to send in things like WhatsApp messages, Skype history or photos of you together.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Other than marriage certificate, you evidence genuine relationship by co-habitation so you don't need travel details. Other things include joint accounts, joint life insurance, joint savings and investment etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than marriage certificate, you evidence genuine relationship by co-habitation so you don't need travel details. Other things include joint accounts, joint life insurance, joint savings and investment etc.
great, thanks

we do have a joint account in Kenya. To avoid sending loads of statements, would a simple letter from the bank be sufficient. One that confirms the account details and how long we have operated the account?

If I add this to the list and take off the travel details, would this be too light?

• Marriage cerificate
  • Bank letter for joint account
  • tenancy agreement

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not an expert just gathering all my information for spouse visa too. Same as you we have been married long time (16yrs). I was advised 10-15 docs to show proof of Cohabitation. So I have collected several bank statements in both our names with our address on it, Several tax returns, several mortgage statements and marriage certificate. (Basically covering our yrs of living together until present!)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not an expert just gathering all my information for spouse visa too. Same as you we have been married long time (16yrs). I was advised 10-15 docs to show proof of Cohabitation. So I have collected several bank statements in both our names with our address on it, Several tax returns, several mortgage statements and marriage certificate. (Basically covering our yrs of living together until present!)
Wow, we're not in the UK yet and living in Kenya, a developing country and you just don't get that many bills etc. 10-15 pieces of evidence don't even exist.

I thought that proof off cohabitation needs to be weightier for the renewal and that subsisting relationship was the main thing for the first application.

Perhaps Joppa can advise

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
For someone in a long marriage, you just show evidence of cohabitation. So submit what you have.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Perhaps there is some miscommunication or misunderstanding - 10-15 documents of cohabitation isn't a requirement, and has never been. When applying for an extension of a spouse visa after 2.5 years, at that point you will need to show 6 pieces of jointly-addressed correspondence throughout the whole of the first spouse visa to show that you've been living together in the UK the whole time, but that is not a requirement for you at this point when applying for the initial spouse visa. It's still something you should bear in mind though (so don't sign up for paperless bills/statements and make sure you hold onto all of your post)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Perhaps there is some miscommunication or misunderstanding - 10-15 documents of cohabitation isn't a requirement, and has never been. When applying for an extension of a spouse visa after 2.5 years, at that point you will need to show 6 pieces of jointly-addressed correspondence throughout the whole of the first spouse visa to show that you've been living together in the UK the whole time, but that is not a requirement for you at this point when applying for the initial spouse visa. It's still something you should bear in mind though (so don't sign up for paperless bills/statements and make sure you hold onto all of your post)
Thanks Clever Octopus,

The problem is that there are no paper bills in Kenya as a rule. For example, the electricity company only sends an SMS bill and the internet and sat Tv are completely paperless.

All I can get is certified statements from our joint account and a cover letter. We also have a tenancy agreement and I can evidence joint travel to and from Kenya over fourteen years.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
But again, you don't need any bills from Kenya, the requirement for cohabitation evidence is only once you've been living in the UK for the full 2.5 years of the spouse visa. As Joppa explained, just submit what you have. You don't need extensive evidence at this point. Even just the marriage certificate and tenancy agreement is enough (with English or Welsh translations if they are in another language)

Reactions: meiroz

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But again, you don't need any bills from Kenya, the requirement for cohabitation evidence is only once you've been living in the UK for the full 2.5 years of the spouse visa. As Joppa explained, just submit what you have. You don't need extensive evidence.
Great thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
sorry do not mean to hijack your post at al but we are in the same position bot not in the uk yet and applying for spouse visa having been married over 16yrs. I was told i needed 10-15 docs of proof of co-habiation..the advice you have been giving is different from mine and i just wanted to clarify if that is ok?
so we only need a few docs showing proof of co-habitation and not 10-15 at this point? we only need that at the 2.5yr point?

Thanks for letting me ask this Seanmicnt and i wish you good luck on your application!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry do not mean to hijack your post at al but we are in the same position bot not in the uk yet and applying for spouse visa having been married over 16yrs. I was told i needed 10-15 docs of proof of co-habiation..the advice you have been giving is different from mine and i just wanted to clarify if that is ok?
so we only need a few docs showing proof of co-habitation and not 10-15 at this point? we only need that at the 2.5yr point?

Thanks for letting me ask this Seanmicnt and i wish you good luck on your application!
Others are more knowledgeable than me but that seems to be the case. My interpretation of what others have said is that the thing that needs proving at this stage is more about a subsisting relationship. Once in the UK, cohabitation must be proven.

It's pretty easy to produce documents when living in UK but it's a different story in developing countries. I'm very glad if we don't have to supply too much documentation for this.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes it will be harder for you to collect that information so great if you do not need too. I have been hunting out documentation and stressing over how many i should include and how far back i should go!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
We also had few bills as ours went to a PO box number, so we sent 15 photos of us over the years, a couple of pieces of correspondence that were sent to a physical address and our joint bank statements. We explained why we could not provide much evidence that we had lived together for nearly 50 years! Our land registry document also showed that we had purchased our property in the U.K. in 1992 and both our names were on it. You can only do your best!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We also had few bills as ours went to a PO box number, so we sent 15 photos of us over the years, a couple of pieces of correspondence that were sent to a physical address and our joint bank statements. We explained why we could not provide much evidence that we had lived together for nearly 50 years! Our land registry document also showed that we had purchased our property in the U.K. in 1992 and both our names were on it. You can only do your best!
Thanks for the encouragement. We will follow the advice here and send what we have.

I imagine that our joint account and tenancy agreement will carry the most weight.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Regarding the six pieces of correspondence for the renewal. Can anyone provide a link as I can't seem to trace it on the .GOV website.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Birth certificate of children

Hello,

Me and my British husband currently live in Brazil. We have two children who were born in the UK. Would the children's birth certificate be good as relationship evidence?
If not...
We have bills proving we live in the same address also, but they would be bills in Portuguese. Would I have to get them translated?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello,

Me and my British husband currently live in Brazil. We have two children who were born in the UK. Would the children's birth certificate be good as relationship evidence?
If not...
We have bills proving we live in the same address also, but they would be bills in Portuguese. Would I have to get them translated?
I doubt that the birth certificate would work. Translation is required if not in English or Welsh.

On another note. this post is unlikely to get replies from others. You need to start your own thread. Just click the 'Post a new thread' button on the home page.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.