Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have a question about relationship evidence for spouse visa.

Me and my wife have been married in Oman and we have the marriage certificate and all other relationship evidence. However, we did not have a wedding ceremony(party) in Oman as we plan to do it in the UK (more friends and family are present in the UK). My question is do we need to provide evidence of the wedding party we intend to do in the UK? I know that if someone applies under the fiance route they need to provide evidence from the registrar, venue booking confirmation etc, but since me and my wife are already married and have documents to prove our marriage, do we need to provide any evidence about the wedding venue (i.e booking) etc?

The thing is we are planning to choose the wedding venue together once my wife arrives in the UK. So currently we haven't considered a venue and are planning to submit the application in the coming week or two.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You're applying for a spouse visa and what you are talking about is basically a party. What you need to provide evidence for is the wedding, even if it was a simple ceremony. Did you not take any pictures on the occasion?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You're applying for a spouse visa and what you are talking about is basically a party. What you need to provide evidence for is the wedding, even if it was a simple ceremony. Did you not take any pictures on the occasion?
We only did an engagement party in Oman (couple of weeks before we were officially married), which I've got photos from that we are submitting. After we entered in civil marriage we didn't do a wedding ceremony, as like I said we planned it for the UK. I'm thinking about putting something in the introductory letter explaining that we only provided photos from an engagement party as the wedding party will be in the UK. Does that seem enough?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to be legally married. An engagement party isn't evidence of a marriage.
We ARE legally married, as we are providing evidence of our marriage (marriage certificate). What I'm asking is if we need to provide evidence that we will carry out the wedding party in the UK (i.e booking confirmation), because we didn't do it in Oman.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
If you are already legally married you need to provide the marriage certificate as proof.

The fact is was only a civil marriage with little pomp and ceremony is not relevant, but you do need the official documentation to prove it was a genuine legal ceremony.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are already legally married you need to provide the marriage certificate as proof.

The fact is was only a civil marriage with little pomp and ceremony is not relevant, but you do need the official documentation to prove it was a genuine legal ceremony.
Yes we have the official marriage certificate + translation, which obviously we are providing. I was just concerned that they might require evidence for example of wedding venue booking in the UK, since as I mentioned before the actual wedding party will be in the UK.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I think I see what you're saying - Applicants are encouraged to submit photos of the wedding as 'unofficial' evidence (along with a marriage certificate of course), and you don't have any, so you may be feeling as though you're not producing enough evidence of your marriage, yes?

Please don't take this as advice, as I am just a fellow applicant with no authority whatsoever, but since my husband and I were married in similar circumstances, at the end of our letter of introduction I stated "we were married in an informal civil ceremony at (location) on (date). Our wedding celebration with family and friends will be held on (date) in (location in the UK)." It's just kind of a short explanation for a lack of formal wedding photos. I really don't know if it makes a big difference, as we do have a photo of us holding our marriage licence on the wedding day, but that's how we chose to explain it... Engagement photos don't prove your marriage legitimacy but they're still good to submit as proof you've visited one another.

Reactions: 738137

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I see what you're saying - Applicants are encouraged to submit photos of the wedding as 'unofficial' evidence (along with a marriage certificate of course), and you don't have any, so you may be feeling as though you're not producing enough evidence of your marriage, yes?

Please don't take this as advice, as I am just a fellow applicant with no authority whatsoever, but since my husband and I were married in similar circumstances, at the end of our letter of introduction I stated "we were married in an informal civil ceremony at (location) on (date). Our wedding celebration with family and friends will be held on (date) in (location in the UK)." It's just kind of a short explanation for a lack of formal wedding photos. I really don't know if it makes a big difference, as we do have a photo of us holding our marriage licence on the wedding day, but that's how we chose to explain it... Engagement photos don't prove your marriage legitimacy but they're still good to submit as proof you've visited one another.
Yes that's exactly what I've tried to explain with the thread.

I've got several other relationship evidence, including my travel tickets, photos of us together, engagement photos, western union money transfer (for my wife to buy the wedding dress), post office parcel receipt of when I sent her a gift. The only thing missing is actual wedding photos, for reasons stated in this thread.

In my opinion explaining the situation in the introductory letter should suffice. We can't really provide a wedding venue booking confirmation as obviously we don't know when the visa will be granted, and we additionally want to choose the venue together when she arrives.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
What matters is that you are married and you have the marriage certificate to prove it. It doesn't matter whether you had a small civil ceremony or a big blow out. What matters it that you are legally married. Having a party at some time in the future doesn't make you any more married and there is no need to mention it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What matters is that you are married and you have the marriage certificate to prove it. It doesn't matter whether you had a small civil ceremony or a big blow out. What matters it that you are legally married. Having a party at some time in the future doesn't make you any more married and there is no need to mention it.
Thank you for the reassurance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.