Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this is the best place to live...six months living in Sydney now decided to go back home. Feeling lonely. Kids did not settle. Accomodation is so expensive. Starting a new life with two kids is not easy. Finally, decided to go back..Australia is a beautiful country. But, 1/3 of the salary goes on tax. 50% of the remaining 2/3goes on rent. Electricity is very expensive...Can any one recomend a good shipping company to send our personal effects back to USA?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree! Sydney is so expensive. That's why I am moving to Queensland.

Don't know a shipping company though, sorry.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like you and the fmaily had a tough few months. Would you not try somewhere else and give it another 6 months? Good luck whatever you do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Having moved for work reasons a couple of times I can honestly say that the period around 6 months - 1 year can be the toughest.

Might be worth sticking it out for awhile (assuming you can afford it financially) before moving back home.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes it took me 6 months to stop hating Japan, then a year to actually love the place. then after 4 years it turned into a love/hate relationship.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i am here for 4 months but seems luck does not click :( really appreciate for the support but it is really very tough

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been in Australia for more than 3 years. The first two years is the toughest because I was still a student and had minimal income. Then I have been working for 1 year but that doesn't change my perspective of the cost of living in Australia.
Since I have only been to Hong Kong I always compare Australia's big cities with Hong Kong. The rent in Sydney is actually higher than that in Hong Kong. But Hong Kong is one of the densest cities in the world while in Australia there are only 21 million people living in a huge continent. I have no idea how could that be possible. If you want to have anything more than a hamburger for a meal you will expect to pay more than 10 bucks. Laptops, cameras and other electronic goods in a local store are nearly twice as the price in US. The income tax is so high that I have 25% out of my pocket every year.
Having said that Australia is still a good place to live for a short term. But to spend the rest of my life here I would think twice before I make the decision.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When we moved to the UK it took about 18 months to truly settle there.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi transcosydney,

It's actually been a little while since we've had one of these posts. It may help to do a search and see previous similar posts.

If you have really set your mind to moving then Kent (Moving From Australia, Moving Overseas, Moving Internationally - Kent International Movers - Moving From Australia) are the biggest movers in Australia and then handled our stuff when we moved here from the UK.

Loneliness: This is tough. I worked out which clubs were around before we moved here and then went and looked at a few. I joined about 3 clubs and I'm still active in one of those (Rotary) and occasional at another one. I found that you have to make the effort to go and find new friends - Aussies won't always come to you even when they know that you are new. It took me over a year to form a friendship with another woman (you know the kind where you can pop in for a coffee & a chat :)).

Area: You have chosen one of the most expensive places on Earth to live in so it's hardly surprising that everything is expensive. Certainly I've found that the general cost of living is higher here than the UK. You don't mention what you (or your partner) do for work. It is possible that you move to another area?

USA: I don't really know what life is like financially there at the moment but consider whether you will be better off if you move back. Will you (or your partner) be able to get a job etc.

If you can financially afford it then I would suggest another area in Australia. If you check previous posts there are members who go back 'home' and then decide that they want to try again here in a different area.

Sometimes the kids don't settle because the parents don't settle - I don't know if that is the case here. I don't have kids so I didn't have to go through that side of things.

Whatever you decide to do know that it's the best decision you can make at the moment.

Let us know how you get on - even if it's telling us how wonderful life is back in the USA.

Regards,
Karen

Reactions: ankitgoel10

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just when i was dejected and very sad I got a job but good enough to pay my expenses and save some but just keeping my eyes open for perth and adelaide.............

·
Registered
3 Posts
I moved to Australia from the United States and I have mixed feelings about it. Australians are pretty snobby, at least where I am, and the cost of living is astronomical. No one greets each other, no one even looks at each other, and certainly no one talks to each other. In Texas, where I am from, it's no issue to talk to strangers. Here, it's not acceptable. I feel like a fish out of water here.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
I moved to Australia from the United States and I have mixed feelings about it. Australians are pretty snobby, at least where I am, and the cost of living is astronomical. No one greets each other, no one even looks at each other, and certainly no one talks to each other. In Texas, where I am from, it's no issue to talk to strangers. Here, it's not acceptable. I feel like a fish out of water here.
This is a nearly six year old thread so I'm guessing all the original posters are long gone now.

I haven't found the Australians I've met in either Melbourne or Sydney to be particularly snobby although I'll grant you they are probably not as welcoming as Texans might be to strangers for example. Moving to a new place is never easy and while they are both English speaking countries, there are significant cultural differences between the US and Australia. You do have to make more of an effort to meet and get to know Australians, more so than you might with Americans in some parts of the US, but once you do, they tend to be very friendly and welcoming on the whole, at least in my experience. You do have to make an initial effort though.

As for the cost of living, I can't disagree with you there although I make far more here than I did in the US (and my earning potential is higher, even factoring in the exchange rate) so I'm willing to accept it. For consumer goods, I buy everything online now and find the cost to be much more reasonable. And I also just buy less stuff. Food is of course more expensive as well, but if I go to the markets, they tend to be cheaper (and better quality), something I was never able to do back home.

I don't know much about where you are but perhaps there are some expat groups you can join to meet people in a similar situation. I don't know how long you've been in Australia but it takes time to adjust, sometimes years. I have been here for nearly four years and although I don't consider this to be 'home' yet, I'm surrounded by great people that I like and enjoy spending time with - it helps a lot. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Australians are pretty snobby, at least where I am, and the cost of living is astronomical. No one greets each other, no one even looks at each other, and certainly no one talks to each other.
I found it quite the opposite. We don't have very many Indians/Asians in my suburb (but I noticed their numbers are growing :) ). When I am pottering around/gardening in my front yard, almost every stranger/people in the neighbourhood going for a walk waves and says hello, a few of them stop by for a chit chat. I find people very friendly. So I guess it depends on the state and suburb?

I guess the cost of living may be exceptionally high compared to the USA. But tbh I don't find our COL in Melbourne to be high at all (and will go as far as to say that for the quality of life I am living, I find it to be cheaper than living in Mumbai or New Delhi!!). You do get smarter with your money and spending habits as the years go by.

For example, excluding housing (we own ours outright so no rent) our annual expenses for 2015 (covering only basic expenses and not discretionary spending) for a family of 4 was just A$ 23,000 p.a. And I wasn't scrimping or living like a scrooge - we live really well and buy whatever we want as far as groceries go. Bulk of our shopping is in Woolworths/Coles e.g. I stock up on non-perishables when they're on half price, shop online and the weak A$ has been very good to us! I am sure if tried really hard we could bring our expenses down even further but I don't bother as I am quite comfortable with our bills.

Btw this figure includes ALL our household running items, council rates ($3,000 p.a.), house and car insurance, school fees, myki, clothes, garden maintenance, maintaining a car, water bills (higher than normal as our water consumption is high in summer, plus we pay rates), utilities, internet..etc..etc.

Electricity and gas bills are exceptionally lower than normal thanks to high energy starred white goods and heating/cooling systems and of course shopping and finding the cheapest energy providers.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Personally, I don't know why so many immigrants choose to move to Sydney. It has to be the most overrated city in Australia, and is by far the most expensive. Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth are the best cities to live in and offer the best lifestyle.
Probably because higher availability of jobs? For example, Adelaide is one of my fav and cheapest places to live in but it has a serious problem with unemployment - It's difficult to find a job not just in office but also in the retail stores.

·
Registered
535 Posts
For example, excluding housing (we own ours outright so no rent) our annual expenses for 2015 (covering only basic expenses and not discretionary spending) for a family of 4 was just A$ 23,000 p.a. And I wasn't scrimping or living like a scrooge - we live really well and buy whatever we want as far as groceries go.
$23,000 a year is roughly $2000 a month. It's really low for a family of 4. If it doesn't include your housing loan monthly installment, then it make sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought this is the best place to live...six months living in Sydney now decided to go back home. Feeling lonely. Kids did not settle. Accomodation is so expensive. Starting a new life with two kids is not easy. Finally, decided to go back..Australia is a beautiful country. But, 1/3 of the salary goes on tax. 50% of the remaining 2/3goes on rent. Electricity is very expensive...Can any one recomend a good shipping company to send our personal effects back to USA?
I realize this is a very old post but I don't know what you decided to do. I'm an American living in Australia and I hate it here, too. The people are rude and disrespectful and the cost of living is astronomical. I will say that Queensland is cheaper than Sydney but it's still very, very high.

·
Registered
124 Posts
@Bbay2Oz - Good post. I am surprised that with less than 2000$ you are able to cover all your living expenses for a family of 4. Which suburb in Melbourne do you reside?
I ask because I am planning to move sometime this year to Melbourne and researching all the aspects about life in Australia.

Thanks.

I found it quite the opposite. We don't have very many Indians/Asians in my suburb (but I noticed their numbers are growing :) ). When I am pottering around/gardening in my front yard, almost every stranger/people in the neighbourhood going for a walk waves and says hello, a few of them stop by for a chit chat. I find people very friendly. So I guess it depends on the state and suburb?

I guess the cost of living may be exceptionally high compared to the USA. But tbh I don't find our COL in Melbourne to be high at all (and will go as far as to say that for the quality of life I am living, I find it to be cheaper than living in Mumbai or New Delhi!!). You do get smarter with your money and spending habits as the years go by.

For example, excluding housing (we own ours outright so no rent) our annual expenses for 2015 (covering only basic expenses and not discretionary spending) for a family of 4 was just A$ 23,000 p.a. And I wasn't scrimping or living like a scrooge - we live really well and buy whatever we want as far as groceries go. Bulk of our shopping is in Woolworths/Coles e.g. I stock up on non-perishables when they're on half price, shop online and the weak A$ has been very good to us! I am sure if tried really hard we could bring our expenses down even further but I don't bother as I am quite comfortable with our bills.

Btw this figure includes ALL our household running items, council rates ($3,000 p.a.), house and car insurance, school fees, myki, clothes, garden maintenance, maintaining a car, water bills (higher than normal as our water consumption is high in summer, plus we pay rates), utilities, internet..etc..etc.

Electricity and gas bills are exceptionally lower than normal thanks to high energy starred white goods and heating/cooling systems and of course shopping and finding the cheapest energy providers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts