Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

did you have to register to vote?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
36,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question - did you have to register to vote separately to registering on the padrón, or was it automatic?

We had to register seperately & it was massively publicised - & still a low % actually did so, & also many claim to have voted in previous elections only to discover on Sunday that they weren't registered now!

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
I have lived in 3 municipalities and we had to register to vote.

Before the last elections I made a presentation in English on our local TV, explaining that one had to register if they wanted to vote, albeit that one was already on the padrón.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've heard the main problem is people forget to renew the Padron which you have to do every two years. No padron no vote !!

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
I've heard the main problem is people forget to renew the Padron which you have to do every two years. No padron no vote !!
Guess what.
It depends where you live!

Maybe there should be a third or fourth category
People who didn't bother as they are not interested in exercising their right to vote
People who just didn't bother

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
We had to register separately.
On duty on Sunday at the local polling station I encountered an elderly bemused English couple who had been refused a vote. The Old gent kept insisting that he had renewed his padron but there was a complete lack of comprehension as they spoke no Spanish and the clerk no English.
I was initially peeved that such a clueless couple could assume the right to vote in Spain but then my deep-buried kinder nature got the better of me and I offered help. As I thought, they had not registered to vote but the nice lady in the office got out forms and said they should fill them in to vote next time. They asked me to fill in their forms which I did and discovered they were in their mid to late eighties. I felt a bit ashamed of my first waspish sentiments.
They thanked me profusely, said how kind I was and then said how upset they were that they couldn't vote for our 'wonderful Mayor, Jose Maria.
PP.
I'm a democrat, we all have the right to vote. I suggested to the PP representative that he owed me two beers for adding to his future vote.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Re-registering on the Padron is a fairly new regulation. Previous once one was registered they were there until they cancelled.

I believe now it is re-registration for EU and Swiss citizens, who are resident, every 5 years and non residents (please don’t tell me they cannot register, they do in many places) every 3 years.

Being on the Padron though does not mean one has a vote, even for EU Citizens (non EU citizens cannot vote). Once on the Padron, one must register on the Voter’s Register to have a vote.. As mrypg9 explained.

·
Registered
15,901 Posts
We had to register separately and it took several visits to the Ayto because the staff there didn't know the procedure for registering foreigners (we are few and far between here). On Sunday the folks at the polling station couldn't find our names, but they turned up on a separate list of foreign voters, right at the end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts